The Possibility of the Curve Ball from the Sox...

shipps

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen

‏@CST_soxvan

#WhiteSox VP Ken Williams: 'To say we’re going to be buyers or sellers or some combination, we just don’t know.'

Good stuff Kenny.

Go away Kenny. Somewhere far far away. Thanks for 2005. Bye.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand some people think everything Williams' says is cryptic with hidden meaning, but taking the comments as they are this is exactly why we should be rooting not to win anymore games through the deadline. Six games shouldn't decide our team's future, but say they win six straight from here to make it ten in a row, does anyone forsee them still selling? Hell if they win 4 of the next 6 I'd still have my doubts. I'd hate to ask these hypotheticals, but really, what is the dividing point between selling or standing pat? I don't think it's a certainty. We're some damn fickle as an organization and concerned about ghosts of the White Flag trade, and pissing off the fanbase, I honestly believe they'd go every season "mired in mediocrity" if it just allowed them not to have to make a tough decision.

Now if you think Williams is posturing, I'd ask why -- are we really going to gain much from fooling people into thinking we're buyers?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:15 AM)
I understand some people think everything Williams' says is cryptic with hidden meaning, but taking the comments as they are this is exactly why we should be rooting not to win anymore games through the deadline. Six games shouldn't decide our team's future, but say they win six straight from here to make it ten in a row, does anyone forsee them still selling? Hell if they win 4 of the next 6 I'd still have my doubts. I'd hate to ask these hypotheticals, but really, what is the dividing point between selling or standing pat? I don't think it's a certainty. We're some damn fickle as an organization and concerned about ghosts of the White Flag trade, and pissing off the fanbase, I honestly believe they'd go every season "mired in mediocrity" if it just allowed them not to have to make a tough decision.

Now if you think Williams is posturing, I'd ask why -- are we really going to gain much from fooling people into thinking we're buyers?

It doesn't even matter what is said because Sale or Q are not going anywhere unless a no brainer deal comes along. And so far no team has shown a willingness to part with any significant value from what I have seen leaked. The better question is why do you want Hahn and KW conducting a fire sale? If the team finishes the year poorly RV and the front office might get canned.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:29 PM)
Kinda sucks the Sox could've got Bj Upton for a song and missed that opportunity. He's having a really nice season.

Agreed. They could have plugged him into CF. Maybe they really don't intend on buying if that's the case? Being under contract for next season would have fit in with trying to compete for next season (and if they wanted to sell, they could have flip him since his salary would be less).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 04:16 AM)
It doesn't even matter what is said because Sale or Q are not going anywhere unless a no brainer deal comes along. And so far no team has shown a willingness to part with any significant value from what I have seen leaked. The better question is why do you want Hahn and KW conducting a fire sale? If the team finishes the year poorly RV and the front office might get canned.

So a partial sale would hurt the sox more. If you trade say bullpen pieces and a melk or frazier now you have to replace them some how. The team already has holes now in outfield, dh and catching and will be in offseason. They dont have the minors to aquire at least average+ players. The free agent market is going to be real thin. They would have to get into bidding wars and we've seen they dont throw money around. So you have another team next year possibly worse and again wasting the likes of q and sale. The sox front office is really stuck in a rock and hard place

I would like Hahn and KW conducting a fire sale because right now is the best time to do so. The trade market favors sellers, with a weak FA class, and the Sox have a weak farm to trade from. They would struggle to add even mediocre regulars, which would very likely lead to a repeat of this season's disappointment in 2017.

There is another option - fire Hahn and KW, let Robin's contract expire, bring in a new GM, and have the fire sale this offseason. But we all know that no one is losing their job anytime soon. So, unless they add substantial payroll, I'd like to see a fire sale run by the people we've got.

At bare minimum, we should trade Robertson & Duke now, as relievers are always worth more at the deadline than in the offseason. We should also seriously explore trading Frazier & Melky. Those two should have some value and it should be much higher now when they can contribute to two playoff runs than just one.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:22 AM)
I would like Hahn and KW conducting a fire sale because right now is the best time to do so. The trade market favors sellers, with a weak FA class, and the Sox have a weak farm to trade from. They would struggle to add even mediocre regulars, which would very likely lead to a repeat of this season's disappointment in 2017.

There is another option - fire Hahn and KW, let Robin's contract expire, bring in a new GM, and have the fire sale this offseason. But we all know that no one is losing their job anytime soon. So, unless they add substantial payroll, I'd like to see a fire sale run by the people we've got.

My prediction based on what I have seen with this team:

1) They will trade veterans: Robertson, Melky, Frazier and Lawrie. This will piss off Sale even more.

2) Robin Ventura leaves on his 'own accord' at season end since his contract runs out.

3) Hahn/KW stay. (Because JR is loyal and delusional)

4) Sale continues to throw management under the bus and will get traded this winter.

5) They keep Q, Eaton and Abreu to 'build a new young core around' instead of rebuilding properly.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)

1) They will trade veterans: Robertson, Melky, Frazier and Lawrie. This will piss off Sale even more.

2) Robin Ventura leaves on his 'own accord' at season end since his contract runs out.

4) Sale continues to throw management under the bus and will get traded this winter.

5) They keep Q, Eaton and Abreu to 'build a new young core around' instead of rebuilding properly.

Doubt 1 or 4 happens. Maybe Robertson.

I know people say what do we have to trade out of our minor leagues that other teams would want but I know I have heard this before and still seen the Sox trade for a guy they wanted. They could certainly "buy" somehow if thats what they choose to do.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)

"Rebuilding properly" doesn't mean selling off everyone who has any kind of value, you need to keep someone around.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
"Rebuilding properly" doesn't mean selling off everyone who has any kind of value, you need to keep someone around.

Why? To have a mediocre record and lesser draft picks while your young talent grows in the minors? If you're rebuilding let the majors squad be a full on dumpster fire, being mediocre is much worse because you're always spinning your wheels.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:34 AM)
Gotta think they're buyers if they win 3 of next 5.

Which is completely short sighted, beyond disappointing, and completely in character with this management team. Did the exact same thing last year with Shark. But hey, that playoff run was at least enjoyable to watch.... oh wait.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
Which is completely short sighted, beyond disappointing, and completely in character with this management team. Did the exact same thing last year with Shark. But hey, that playoff run was at least enjoyable to watch.... oh wait.

I know. I don't agree with it or think they should be buyers but it won't surprise me in the least if they stand pat or buy.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
What if we sweep the cubs and the twins and are sitting 5 over .500 come Sunday. Think we gotta stay put... Only need to go 37-25 the rest of the way to hit that 87 mark. Not entirely crazy...

Kenny? Is that you?

What if we sweep the cubs and the twins and are sitting 5 over .500 come Sunday. Think we gotta stay put... Only need to go 37-25 the rest of the way to hit that 87 mark. Not entirely crazy...

Don't fall for that. 2 of 3 series each against the teams in the Central are on the road. Bullpen not good enough. Too many holes in the lineup. Indians are better. Teams with the wildcard spots are trying to improve by Monday afternoon. 5 over would just mean a down turn is right around the corner. Hate to be negative about it. Just being realistic about who this team is....decent at times, but not a playoff team.

Just keep winning. Sale and Q are going nowhere, IMO. I think the Sox will stand pat, or maybe make a couple smaller moves. And I totally OK with that. Sale and Q's value are not decreasing anytime soon, and the Sox have a chance to be competitive in 2017 with a few small tweaks to the roster (not to mention the chance to stay in the race in 2016). Trade pieces off next July if it doesn't work. Very little roster turnover after this year...next year makes much more sense for a tear down.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
Why? To have a mediocre record and lesser draft picks while your young talent grows in the minors? If you're rebuilding let the majors squad be a full on dumpster fire, being mediocre is much worse because you're always spinning your wheels.

Do you really think if we trade off everyone except a couple guys that the team will be mediocre? You need someone to build the team around, otherwise you're just going to be rebuilding forever.

The Sox will stand pat just like last year and make no major moves. The FO doesn't have the balls to blow it up and move Sale/Q nor do they have the balls to trade Fulmer and Anderson for an impact player like Cargo or Lucroy. Hopefully they will be willing to pony up the money for Encarncion, Wieters, and an outfielder like Reddick during the offseason.

Sox are behind six teams for the last wild card spot. Two of those teams, Houston (Bregman, Gurriel) and Boston (Pomeranz, deadline DD move), are improving their rosters for the stretch run. According to mlb.coms post season projections, the Sox have a 5% chance of making the postseason.

The Sox have about 75% of their remaining schedule against Central opponents which they are 16-21 against.

Sure, if the Sox go on an A's style winning streak they could compete, but they need to get the franchise into a place where they can compete for the division every season.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Do you really think if we trade off everyone except a couple guys that the team will be mediocre? You need someone to build the team around, otherwise you're just going to be rebuilding forever.

Which is why trading 1 of Sale or Quintana is optimal at this point. Keep an ace and fill the teams needs for young bats with one them.

With that said, no rush, pitching market is gonna suck for a while. Wait for the overpay, it will come.