The Possibility of the Curve Ball from the Sox...

shipps

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Sox didnt pony up this past offseason. Cant see them going this next one especially with holes as of now not including if they start trading pieces. Going to be bidding war and sox usually dont come out on top of those

Honestly if they don't, rebuild and trade everyone. They'll seriously try to tell us they're contending by signing Jason Castro and Carlos Gomez.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Honestly if they don't, rebuild and trade everyone. They'll seriously try to tell us they're contending by signing Jason Castro and Carlos Gomez.

And what's worse, is I'll get behind it, because I want to see this team do well even though I know they will make the wrong decisions. It's helpless.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)

IMO - that actually makes a ton of sense (I have actually suggested that very thing). Blow it up next July if it doesn't work. Sale and Q will still be worth the same amount then.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
IMO - that actually makes a ton of sense (I have actually suggested that very thing). Blow it up next July if it doesn't work. Sale and Q will still be worth the same amount then.

You never know with pitchers. If the plan is a to rebuild, neither should be with team in six months.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)

It's wrong to think they will be as valuable next July because of three things:

1. They could get hurt (knock on wood, but it happens).

2. The trade market will be richer with expiring contracts, so there will be more supply.

3. They will have less team control left.

The time to strike is absolutely now. I understand that the FO is deluded about the chance of competing next year, but that doesn't excuse doing nothing. Winners strike while the iron is hot.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)

2. The trade market will be richer with expiring contracts, so there will be more supply.

The time to strike is absolutely now. I understand that the FO is deluded about the chance of competing next year, but that doesn't excuse doing nothing. Winners strike while the iron is hot.

No one is going to pay the additional cost associated with the extra year of control right now. You'll get the same for these guys next year as you will right now, because no one is going to pay the exorbitant cost that Hahn is asking for, as he should be. May as well give contention one more shot in 2017 before half our offensive producers leave (and not punt the rest of this season too). Trading for the sake of trading is what gets GMs fired. Plus - if this board was in charge, about 75% of people wanted to trade Q for Puig at this time last year. How would that have worked out? Patience, lads.

And the Sox have never said they want to do a full-rebuild. They said there clearly needs to be changes. Those are two different things.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)

All 3 are valid points. The Sox should strike now if they are gonna go full rebuild. That being said, I just can't see anyway that this team trades Sale or Q. This is organization that is afraid of change and doesn't make bold moves. KW and Hahn will sit paralyzed on the fence while the trade deadline passes them bye just like the last two years.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
Heyman: Nats would trade Giolito for Andrew Miller straight up.

And Jerry wants to buy...

where did Heyman say that? I think it was Morosi you meant

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 21m21 minutes ago

Sources who have spoken with #Nats believe they would trade Lucas Giolito to #Yankees for Andrew Miller, straight up.

I called it. Despite an absolute sellers market, with two of the best pitchers on the market, on longterm, friendly contracts, we won't find buyers because everyone paying 50% more for cheaper 1/2 season rentals.

Being a white sox fan is a special kind of limbo.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)

Sources who have spoken with #Nats believe they would trade Lucas Giolito to #Yankees for Andrew Miller, straight up.

Got the Jons mixed up. But, Heyman did say that NYY would decline Giolito for Miller...

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
I called it. Despite an absolute sellers market, with two of the best pitchers on the market, on longterm, friendly contracts, we won't find buyers because everyone paying 50% more for cheaper 1/2 season rentals.

Appears that way.

Using Dick's analogy, they'll pay $200.000 for a $100,000 house; but the won't pay $1,5 million for a $1 million house.

Still we have players that expire in 2017; should be able to move some of them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
You know, I feel like I was the one that introduced real estate into this discussion.

Thats okay. With how greensox referenced back to what DA came up with I had no idea what the hell he was talking about anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)

It honestly disgusts me. Not only with the lack of any team rich in talent to give it up for either talented, cheap, and cost controlled pitchers; but that once again with the White Sox negativity isn't something we have to search for.......it's always predictable with this team.

We may as well just prepare for the future draft picks we'll maybe receive for either Sale or Quintana. I'm sure when the time arrives the market will again be against us and "no one will trade value for half a season of a declining player."

Hahn has a lot to do in these next couple days. Honestly, I don't even care what's stacked against him or that no one will give up fair value for Sale or Q. Too bad, then deal other players and rebuild your minor league system.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)

That would certainly get the Yankees in the conversation for Sale. Giolito, Torres, Sanchez, Andujar, and Acevedo is on par with a lot of the other prospect packages that have been bandied about.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
That would certainly get the Yankees in the conversation for Sale. Giolito, Torres, Sanchez, Andujar, and Acevedo is on par with a lot of the other prospect packages that have been bandied about.

If the Yankees had Giolitto - I would absolutely want a package from them

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)

In the offseason, that dynamic shifts. The lack of quality SP options in FA will require teams resort to the trade market. Not to mention, the top pitching FA's this year will command contracts they aren't worth. And Sale and Q are sitting as the top 2 pitchers on the trade market.

Expect a trade to happen this offseason.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
They want to win and unlike the Sox they have the resources to do so.

2 years of control for a stud reliever that throws 70 innings a year or 6 years of control of a young #1 starter? It's decision for me. I don't understand hanging on to Miller