The Possibility of the Curve Ball from the Sox...

shipps

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
It better not be a salary dump. They should be able to get some good value from a contender for an established closer with a couple of years of control.

Exactly. I wouldn't salary dump him because he's not an awful closer. He's overpaid but we at least have a closer who can close most nights. Just can't run him out there four consecutive days.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
It better not be a salary dump. They should be able to get some good value from a contender for an established closer with a couple of years of control.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
Exactly. I wouldn't salary dump him because he's not an awful closer. He's overpaid but we at least have a closer who can close most nights. Just can't run him out there four consecutive days.

I think he could bring back close to what Chapman got personally. Other than 3-4 outings, he's had a good season.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
I think he could bring back close to what Chapman got personally. Other than 3-4 outings, he's had a good season.

Oh no no. He wouldn't get close to that. He's a good closer but you've saw that he's not on Chapman's level. If Robertson doesn't have command, he can't just blow it past guys at 103-105 mph. What he has going for him is control for a couple more seasons.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
I'll have mixed feelings but I don't want them giving away Sale or Q. I think they can move Robertson for certain. Sure seems like it. I'm hoping they move Melky and Frazier although if they're both here I won't care. I just don't want to see our two stud SPs given away when they're in such demand and they won't.

Robertson, Duke, Melky, and 1 of Gonzalez/Shields. Those 4 trades are the ones that seem like no brainers to me. There's a real possibility of turning those guys, who in all likelihood won't be apart of a title contending Sox team, into 4-5 young regulars in '18. Pretty obvious the offense needs an infusion of young talent and it's certainly not coming from within.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:56 PM)
I think they'll stand pat. Hahn will talk about how the right deals weren't there, and Kenny will talk about how it pays to be aggressive, but you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents, etc.

Just prepping for the worst, guys!

I tell you though, if they bring Robin back next year, i'm done with the team.

I see Spencer Adams and some other young talent moving out so Kenny can go after his 1% lottery shot. They will sell it as we are not just adding for this year, but for the upcoming years.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:52 AM)
I see Spencer Adams and some other young talent moving out so Kenny can go after his 1% lottery shot. They will sell it as we are not just adding for this year, but for the upcoming years.

Thing is, if they get controlled players, I have no problem with buying and selling. There is no one in the system that can be traded that would make me lose a second of sleep if they are shipped out

Take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend who's friend's dad is a scout in the White Sox organization. My buddy asked his dad if he thinks the Sox are gonna sell, and he said "ahhhh, I don't know, Jerry really doesn't want to go through a rebuild."

Like I said, take it for what it's worth, but if true, Jerry is so incompetent that this Sox team is just not good.

So if the Sox continue to play they way they have lately, they'll play .500 ball for the last 60 games. That puts them at 80-82. Not nearly good enough for the playoffs. If the Sox really want to make a run, they'll need to make moves that will get them an additional 5-7 wins...at a minimum. Is acquiring Jay Bruce going to do that? No. They need offense and bullpen help and maybe one more starter. You're talking about gutting the minors in order to have a prayer.

At the same time, are they out of it far enough for them to sell? We, as fans, are saying yes. I doubt the front office sees it that way. I have a bad feeling they will stand pat or make a minor move to "improve". I'm just hoping for some excitement this weekend.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Take it for what it's worth, but I have a friend who's friend's dad is a scout in the White Sox organization. My buddy asked his dad if he thinks the Sox are gonna sell, and he said "ahhhh, I don't know, Jerry really doesn't want to go through a rebuild."

Like I said, take it for what it's worth, but if true, Jerry is so incompetent that this Sox team is just not good.

You can sell off some pieces from the MLB team. It doesn't mean you're rebuilding and tearing it all down.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:17 AM)
You can sell off some pieces from the MLB team. It doesn't mean you're rebuilding and tearing it all down.

Yes, but is Jerry gonna do that? Jerry probably thinks why trade Shields when he could be part of the rotation the next couple years, same with Gonzalez? Not my opinion, but could be what Jerry is thinking.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
Yes, but is Jerry gonna do that? Jerry probably thinks why trade Shields when he could be part of the rotation the next couple years, same with Gonzalez? Not my opinion, but could be what Jerry is thinking.

Probably but I'm just saying trading off a player or 2 doesn't quite mean rebuilding.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
Probably but I'm just saying trading off a player or 2 doesn't quite mean rebuilding.

I completely agree, but I'm just saying that Jerry probably thinks why trade those players when he thinks he can win with them in the future.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I completely agree, but I'm just saying that Jerry probably thinks why trade those players when he thinks he can win with them in the future.

Yeah I agree. They're probably more likely to stand pat but I could see them clearing Robertson's salary.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)

Also Kenny is probably whispering in his ear about how we are primed to win the world series.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)

Trading off a player or two is just half stepping it. The Sox really need to pick a lane. Either trade away your top chips or push all your chips onto the table for the rest of this year and next. I just don't know who the Sox can realistically expect to add in the offseason that is gonna improve this putrid offense.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Trading off a player or two is just half stepping it. The Sox really need to pick a lane. Either trade away your top chips or push all your chips onto the table for the rest of this year and next. I just don't know who the Sox can realistically expect to add in the offseason that is gonna improve this putrid offense.

Reddick I think is realistic. He was looking for a 4- year extension with the A's and they only want him at 3 (why would you not give him 4th year?). However, being on the open market he'll probably get 5 (which I wouldn't be opposed to).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
Reddick I think is realistic. He was looking for a 4- year extension with the A's and they only want him at 3 (why would you not give him 4th year?). However, being on the open market he'll probably get 5 (which I wouldn't be opposed to).

I have no faith in the Sox FO to get Reddick after they screwed up not getting an outfielder last offseason. The Sox will get outbid as he will want close to $100 million for a 5 year deal. Jerry ain't gonna pay that and it leaves no money for a decent catcher or legit DH.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)

Sox said they arent going for rental players

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Thing is, if they get controlled players, I have no problem with buying and selling. There is no one in the system that can be traded that would make me lose a second of sleep if they are shipped out

Those are December moves. Hahn made a few a few years ago...thought they were pretty good.

But the last couple of years, he's been interested in 1/2 year rents (with the exception of the strange Shields trade).

Edited by GreenSox

Just to play devil's advocate for a little bit.

If you take a step back and then fast forward to 2018 and look at the state of this division what will it look like?

Twins:

Some of their for sure talent hasn't really done it's job thus far. They have some larger contracts that should be falling off soon. But attendance continues to drop as the allure of a new stadium wears off. Not entirely up to date on their farm system, but they could have a few rough years ahead.

Tigers:

Miggy, Victor Martinez, Kinsler, Verlander, etc, are all getting up there in age. As is Illitch. They may continue to spend spend spend, however I think we'd agree that door is closing. I wouldn't suspect them being better than they are right now.

Royals:

A ton of their contracts end after 2017. They are going to be in full rebuild mode because they cant sign their own guys. Best case scenario for them sadly is selling off a lot of those guys next year mid season if they aren't winning. Worst case is they make a run at the playoffs and they cant sell those pieces. Their farm took a big hit when they went after Cueto, etc.

2018 for them could be pretty ugly

Indians:

Nothing bad to say. Only thing I can say is they have the second worst attendance this year and are probably almost guaranteed to make the playoffs. They are a small market team that may be unable to retain some of their talent. That said, this team looks to be set up decent for the future.

So that bring us to the Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if we are basement dwellers. However, if you, gasp, re-tool. You can really compete in a terrible division. I mean, this might be an 84-85 win division in a few years.

Now how do you do that if you choose that route?

My idea, and I'm not even saying I agree with my idea. But let's use the Cubs as an example since I would assume Hahn would never trade to the Northside (I'm against this idea, I'd trade with whoever makes our team better. I don't care if Sale is a Cub and wins them 3 world series)

But lets say you trade him to the Cubs and get Baez, Schwarber, Almora and Edwards Jr.

You re-sign Frazier to a 4yr deal. You trade Robertson for a decent prospect or two. Trade Lawrie for bullpen fringy type arms. Trade Melky for whatever. etc.

Your team next year already is:

RF - Eaton

CF - Almora

DH - Schwarber

1B - Abreu

3B - Frazier

2B - Baez

SS - Anderson

LF - ??

C - ??

Staff:

Quintana

Rodon

Shields

Fulmer

Gonzalez

Burdi, etc fill in at closer. You get a few of the guys back. Sign a guy or two for the bullpen.

You got a pretty damn competitive and controllable team. Power, speed, defense. I mean between Schwarbs, Abreu, Frazier, Baez you could have 4 30HR guys. you have the defense up the middle with Anderson and Baez. You have Almora and Eaton roaming the OF.

To me, that would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch than a total tear down.

Now 2018 comes ... you have the same team, maybe add in Collins at Catcher. Really not too shabby. And you remain in a weak division.

Just taking the other side here...

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
So that bring us to the Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if we are basement dwellers. However, if you, gasp, re-tool. You can really compete in a terrible division. I mean, this might be an 84-85 win division in a few years.

With the premature collapse of Kansas City, things have opened up. But the Sox don't have enough to compete now. As you pointed out, the division looks like it will get steadily weaker over the next several years, so a couple of steps back right now might work out, if good deals are made.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Wasn't referring to now. In offseason.

Sox didnt pony up this past offseason. Cant see them going this next one especially with holes as of now not including if they start trading pieces. Going to be bidding war and sox usually dont come out on top of those