Robertson on Nats radar

TheFutureIsNear

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/wade...medium=facebook

Basically says that Robertson is 1 of 3 likely candidates to be on the Nats radar for late inning relief. They are UNwilling to give up Turner, Giolito, or Reynaldo Lopez. Also says Robertson's contract could be a hindrance, but shouldn't be an insurmountable sum for Washington.

Taking out those 3 prospects leaves Victor Robles as the likely headliner of a package for Robertson...and I'd be perfectly fine with that. He's young(19), but he supposedly is a 5 tool guy that has done nothing but hit so far. SP Erik Feede(#4), 2B Wilmer Difo(#6), and CF Andrew Stevenson(#8) are other prospects of note in their top 10 that should interest us.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Robertson? He has two and half years of control right?

Yeah it's 2 1/2 years and just under $30M left for Robertson. Really not unreasonable at all in my opinion. Take out 3 bad outings this year and there really isn't much to complain about

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
Yeah it's 2 1/2 years and just under $30M left for Robertson. Really not unreasonable at all in my opinion. Take out 3 bad outings this year and there really isn't much to complain about

Eh, he's walked a ton of guys this year. I'm worried he could have a steep falloff in the next season or two and I'd rather take a prospect or two for him and call it a day.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
Eh, he's walked a ton of guys this year. I'm worried he could have a steep falloff in the next season or two and I'd rather take a prospect or two for him and call it a day.

Oh I'm definitely all for trading Robertson, I just think he may have a little more value that you're implying. I think it would of course increase his value if JR were willing to throw $5M or so to soften the blow of the final year of his contract, but not sure that would happen. The Nats system isn't the deepest so I don't think getting 2 guys ranked in their top 6-12 is unreasonable.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
Nope, keep going. You're on a roll!

Sox should net similar to what Chapman's return was considering Robertson's 2.5 years left on deal with fair pay. Chapman got the #24 prospect in baseball, the #75 prospect in baseball, throw in 'pen reliever in Warren, and a low level prospect in Crawford so I think it's fair Sox would get the #54 prospect in baseball, WSH's #10 prospect, WSH's #14 prospect, and a throw in either in the form of Brian Goodwin (closer to MLB) or Rhett Wiseman (Low level).

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
Sox should net similar to what Chapman's return was considering Robertson's 2.5 years left on deal with fair pay. Chapman got the #24 prospect in baseball, the #75 prospect in baseball, throw in 'pen reliever in Warren, and a low level prospect in Crawford so I think it's fair Sox would get the #54 prospect in baseball, WSH's #10 prospect, WSH's #14 prospect, and a throw in either in the form of Brian Goodwin (closer to MLB) or Rhett Wiseman (Low level).

Chapman is a much more dominant pitcher though

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
Chapman is a much more dominant pitcher though

Robertson is pretty good. I think he would be even better on a team that is consistent. With the Sox, he goes a while without pitching, then his opportunities come in bunches.

The 3 homers in an inning was bad, but it was his 3rd appearance in 15 hours and he was really good the first 2, also really good last night.

Robertson isn't as good as Chapman, but he's still a solid closer whose worth his contract, will help another team out down the stretch, and has 2.5 years left of control. That to me nets you what the Yankees got for Chapman as he it literally a 3 month rental.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
I don't think Robertson is worth much but hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

Then I guarantee you he won't be traded (unless a guy like Sale or Q is moved as well). Why ruin any chance you have at competing this year for some salary relief and a lottery ticket? Sox don't roll that way.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
I don't think Robertson is worth much but hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

Like Sale and Q, there is literally zero reason to trade him if they arent offered a package to their liking. Why would they just give him away? They dont need to dump salary.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Like Sale and Q, there is literally zero reason to trade him if they arent offered a package to their liking. Why would they just give him away? They dont need to dump salary.

Unlike them, Robertson might be entering his decline and could become a bad contract pretty quick. If we can get a nice piece for him it wouldn't be a bad idea to do so.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Unlike them, Robertson might be entering his decline and could become a bad contract pretty quick. If we can get a nice piece for him it wouldn't be a bad idea to do so.

Im in total agreement with you. I think you shoot for a guy like Robles or Lopez and go from there. If you go Lopez, you can immediately put him in the rotation or bullpen. Robles has much bigger upside, so Sox are definitely going to need to add money there.

Robertson for Pedro Severino, Andrew Stevenson, and Taylor Hearn would get it done for me. Severino can step in as your everyday C next season, Stevenson has the floor of a fourth OF with an upside of GG LF, and Hearn is a live arm hitting 99 as a LHP that starts now but could be an effective LHRP.