James Shields Redux

harkness99

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
There's nothing wrong with actually analyzing the situation as well.
There is nothing wrong with realizing that FIP is a bulls*** stat. xFIP not quite as bad. The whole idea of "fielding independent" is faulty IMHO. All that aside even the saber crowd recognizes the limitations of FIP. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/13019...endent-pitching I still go by my original contention. I hate that stat. Edited by SI1020

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
There is nothing wrong with realizing that FIP is a bulls*** stat. xFIP not quite as bad. The whole idea of "fielding independent" is faulty IMHO. All that aside even the saber crowd recognizes the limitations of FIP. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/13019...endent-pitching I still go by my original contention. I hate that stat.

except xFIP has been shown time and time again to PREDICT future ERA better than just ERA itself. Everyone wants to point to the one outlier like Mark Buehrle and say see FIP is BS but they ignore the 9/10 where it predicts regression in ERA either way (up or down).

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
except xFIP has been shown time and time again to PREDICT future ERA better than just ERA itself. Everyone wants to point to the one outlier like Mark Buehrle and say see FIP is BS but they ignore the 9/10 where it predicts regression in ERA either way (up or down).

SIERA is better.

Will be interesting to see if he decides to opt out or stay with his current contract going into 2017. FA pitching options this offseason are sparse and he may actually end up with a better offer. if he does, the WS got him for half a season for almost nothing. Decent move by Hahn

Want to see him pull off 2 more. A Garcia and the backup SS & 2B for Rich Hill, then trade Quintana for 2 professional hitters and a quality prospect. Adding 2 hitters to this line up just might be enough to get the last Wildcard position. If not you have a much better lineup for 2017 along with a Rotation of Sale, Hill, possibily Shields and Rodon; pretty solid and hopefully a top flight prospect to add to the farm system

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
According to Levine, Sox price on Shields, one of their top 5 prospects and 2 lesser ones.

The Sox FO is more delusional than I thought if they honestly think that Shields is gonna bring back a top 5 prospect plus 2 other prospects. Never gonna happen. Shields will still be in a Sox uniform next week if that is the asking price and the Sox won't budge.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
The Sox FO is more delusional than I thought if they honestly think that Shields is gonna bring back a top 5 prospect plus 2 other prospects. Never gonna happen. Shields will still be in a Sox uniform next week if that is the asking price and the Sox won't budge.

It does seem high, but you never know. Future Sox preseason #5 Sox prospect was Tyler Danish.

A team's Tyler Danish and a couple of lesser guys doesn't seem like a really steep price if Shields performs like a #3 or #4 pitcher.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
It does seem high, but you never know. Future Sox preseason #5 Sox prospect was Tyler Danish.

A team's Tyler Danish and a couple of lesser guys doesn't seem like a really steep price if Shields performs like a #3 or #4 pitcher.

Depressing to see that Danish was the Sox preseason #5 prospect. Starting pitching is in such high demand right now that trading Shields should yield something one would think. Shields days as a #3 are done. I hope the Sox can move him as he is a prime candidate to completly implode ala Danks within the next year or so.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
The Sox FO is more delusional than I thought if they honestly think that Shields is gonna bring back a top 5 prospect plus 2 other prospects. Never gonna happen.

Have you seen what guys like Cashner have been getting? It's entirely plausible.

What is the deal with Shields?

Can he opt out next off season?

If so, then Sox can offer him a 1 year QO at approx. $16-17 Mill?

Which, if taken by him, the Sox will be on the hook for the entire amount and Pads are off same hook?

Then, if some team signs him, Sox get draft pick?

This team could really be in the running if it had another bat or two. The pitching has been very good for a while now. Shields, Sale, Q and Gonzo have been as good as anyone. Yet we consistently lose 1 run games. 9 of our last 23 games we have scored 0 or 1 run in a game. That is absolutely terrible. Its looking like 10 of 24 right now. In contrast the indians have done it 3 times in their last 36 games.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 05:15 PM)
What is the deal with Shields?

Can he opt out next off season?

If so, then Sox can offer him a 1 year QO at approx. $16-17 Mill?

Which, if taken by him, the Sox will be on the hook for the entire amount and Pads are off same hook?

Then, if some team signs him, Sox get draft pick?

No. He can opt-out this offseason and the Sox get nothing in return. I'm not sure anyone will pay him more than the 2 years $44 million he's owed though.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Have you seen what guys like Cashner have been getting? It's entirely plausible.

It's more plausible,imo, that a rent of Shields would have more value than being tied into Shields and c. $20 mill over next 2+ years. The Sox getting rid of Shields and an interesting A ball prospect (I.e. Breaking even) is a big-time sell high. He still has weak peripherals and modern front offices are loaded with the stats guys.

But that's my opinion. Let's see what Hahn can move these players for. Let's see some front office skill for a change.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:36 PM)
No. He can opt-out this offseason and the Sox get nothing in return. I'm not sure anyone will pay him more than the 2 years $44 million he's owed though.

False. If a player opts out of a contract, he can be offered a QO (see Alex Gordon). However, Shields will not opt out.

And if he did, Sox would be dumb not to offer the QO of around 1/16 mill when the guy rejected 2/44 million lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
This team could really be in the running if it had another bat or two. The pitching has been very good for a while now. Shields, Sale, Q and Gonzo have been as good as anyone. Yet we consistently lose 1 run games. 9 of our last 23 games we have scored 0 or 1 run in a game. That is absolutely terrible. Its looking like 10 of 24 right now. In contrast the indians have done it 3 times in their last 36 games.

Have you watched any of the games this year? You have to literally have your head in the sand to think "we'd be in the running with another bat". Our offensive statistics are putrid & one player wouldn't change that.

Edited by NCsoxfan

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)

If Abreu was hitting like Abreu of the past 2 seasons, just imagine how much better we'd be. Dude used to smoke the ball over the field and be a doubles machine. This year? He either ks or singles.