Sign in to follow this  
harkness99

James Shields Redux

I truly know the reason for his failures and new found form. One meme will never be posted here ever again.

0-31 with RISP over the past few games.. things will even out. But as I said when he was struggling - (and when the Sox started off hot then got cold) everything regresses to the mean. He's not as bad as he was then, and not as good as his ERA is suggesting now.

Just like the Sox, not as good as they were in April and May and not as bad as they were in June.

Shields will give you a 4-4.20ERA and 190-210IP for $9mm a year. Not bad.

Sox are an 83-85 win team as currently constructed. Untouched for the rest of the year? They will probably end in that range.

Mired in Mediocrity.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Someone on twitter said it's all smoke and mirrors, his FIP is high and so is his BABIP.

Latos part deux?

Sort of seems like it. His K/IP is still terrible.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:29 AM)
Someone on twitter said it's all smoke and mirrors, his FIP is high and so is his BABIP.

Latos part deux?

He's obviously pitching better than he really is, and it really stands out due to his horrendous first three starts with the Sox. But, I would imagine he'll level out as a guy who will give you a 4-ish ERA while eating 180+ innings. For what the Sox are paying him, that's not bad.

It seemed like whenever we faced him we always had him in trouble and he would get himself out of it with a good pitch. It always made him seem flukey as hell, but maybe thats just how he is?

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
Sox are an 83-85 win team as currently constructed. Untouched for the rest of the year? They will probably end in that range.

isn't that really what most people projected before the season started? if it weren't for the BLAZING HOT start i think playoff expectations would have been tempered.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
isn't that really what most people projected before the season started? if it weren't for the BLAZING HOT start i think playoff expectations would have been tempered.

I want to say the average was in the 86 to 88 range. Most people felt a team on the cusp of the playoffs, but not quite the playoffs IIRC.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
the most obvious takeaway from that chart is the declining velocity.

It is percentage of usage, not overall velocity. Going to fangraphs, his velocity is up about half a MPH since he got here.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
the most obvious takeaway from that chart is the declining velocity.

Percentage of pitches vs Month.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Or he had a bad stretch followed by a good stretch.

Nailed it. He obviously wasn't the worst pitcher of all time when we first got him and he's not as good as he's pitching right now.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)

Latos part deux?

Some folks just can't be positive at all

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)

There's nothing wrong with actually analyzing the situation as well.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)

PNoles was tweeting that stuff last week. Trying to diminish his effort. All I know is the results are better after his first four starts or so.