White Sox with a golden opportunity?

NCsoxfan

Trading Sale or Quintana does not do much for salary, meaning that the trade(s) would be to start a rebuilding process. Realistically, could they trade one of them and pick up some top prospects that would be ready in 2017 and then spend in the off season to try to compete next year? Or is it more likely that they'd be shooting for 2018 and beyond?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
To note - apparently the market for OF/DH types has been pretty limited for Beltran, so I wouldn't expect much for the bolded.

You've been noticeably much more silent on your Melky sucks agenda this year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Welcome to rebuilding.

If they start a rebuild, expect them to be god awful next year.

If they went full rebuild, color me excited for something new with this organization. For me,

It's fun following young prospects and watching how they develop.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Welcome to rebuilding.

If they start a rebuild, expect them to be god awful next year.

I could care less if they are god awful next year, they have been god awful since mid-May. At least this way there is a light at the end of the tunnel where they may have some pieces to contend at some point. The Sox as they stand are going to continue to be perpetually a middle of the road team.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
I could care less if they are god awful next year, they have been god awful since mid-May. At least this way there is a light at the end of the tunnel where they may have some pieces to contend at some point. The Sox as they stand are going to continue to be perpetually a middle of the road team.

Yes, I know.

My point is outside of Rodon and possibly Fulmer, none of us should give a s*** what's in the rotation next year. Unless they snag Urias and DeLeon from the Dodgers.

You're tanking for the top pick and developing arms like Hansen, Burdi and Adams.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
That is certainly what history would suggest.

I just can't see this FO doing a complete 180 and tearing this thing down. That is not how KW and Reinsdorf roll. We are still in year 2 of some sort of 3 year plan. The only guy I see possibly getting moved is Shields. Otherwise, the Sox are gonna sit on their hands at the deadline for the third straight year. The same core will be back next year without any major additions like Reddick, Encarncion, or Ramos/Wieters. It is beyond frustrating and I hope that I'm wrong, but this front office is either too scared or too stubborn to make any major changes.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
As a resounding gong these problems all stem from poor drafting and development along with no investment in managing.

This times a thousand. I take a look at the farms of Houston, Boston, Cubs, LA, Texas, Pitt and as a Sox fan I just wonder where they got all those nice shiny toys from. Then I remember that KW was calling the shots for way too long. His wheeling and dealing and terrible drafting of "toolsy" outfielders was a total catastrophe. Unfortunately he is still around and I don't see him or Reinsdorf ever committing to an actual rebuild.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
With all the names circulating, it's dawning on me that this might be a golden opportunity for the White Sox to rebuild. There seems to be a lot of interest in at least a half a dozen White Sox player. Not only that but it's a sellers market & we are dealing from a position of strength.

If we play our cards right, we could set ourselves up for the next decade by tearing down & sacrificing the next few seasons.

I just hope management can have this longer term vision and realize that this particular deadline (and probably offseason) set them up really well to rebuild. Would be so frustrating if they see false hope from a small winning streak, etc.

We don't need to rebuild. Tweak a few spots and go for it in 2017 even though cascade still competitive this year

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
This times a thousand. I take a look at the farms of Houston, Boston, Cubs, LA, Texas, Pitt and as a Sox fan I just wonder where they got all those nice shiny toys from. Then I remember that KW was calling the shots for way too long. His wheeling and dealing and terrible drafting of "toolsy" outfielders was a total catastrophe. Unfortunately he is still around and I don't see him or Reinsdorf ever committing to an actual rebuild.

We have to hope that someone younger buys the team that is willing to wait through a tear down. I know many fans wouldn't be patient with it but I personally would be.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
I just can't see this FO doing a complete 180 and tearing this thing down. That is not how KW and Reinsdorf roll. We are still in year 2 of some sort of 3 year plan. The only guy I see possibly getting moved is Shields. Otherwise, the Sox are gonna sit on their hands at the deadline for the third straight year. The same core will be back next year without any major additions like Reddick, Encarncion, or Ramos/Wieters. It is beyond frustrating and I hope that I'm wrong, but this front office is either too scared or too stubborn to make any major changes.

I'm with you, but it is what needs to occur. Even Bowden was on tv the other night saying how rival executives think the Sox will have the fastest rebuild of all-time.

They understand the basics. The type of talent the Sox can acquire, while nothing is a sure thing, is so much better than what we typically see dealt this time of year. Or if we do see that type of talent dealt, that's the only bullet the selling team fires of that level. So yes, this is a very unique opportunity for the Sox.

More importantly, they can stretch their payroll out with veterans or role players or make a decent splash in the next couple years because of the flexibility they'll have.

If you keep it together, and can somehow acquire the elite talent you lack offensively without dealing both arms. Fine. I won't complain (too much) but we know this isn't the case. So the longer you wait on dealing your big chips, the longer we stretch out this cycle of mediocrity and the more your value on Sale/Q dive. Much of the extreme value is in their controllability/contracts, as we all know. You wait for 2 years and you're looking at weaker package. It's just fact.

I just am not sure the 3 stooges making decisions can pull this off. And when they don't, year 3 of 3 should be the end of their jobs, not just "the plan."

The big statement here is "If it is done right..."

Who really trusts Rick Hahn to do a rebuild right in the next few days? I used to believe we should be sellers, but now I just want us to stand pat. I don't trust him to get good value for the assets we have and I'd prefer to wait for a firesale until we have a GM that could do it efficiently.

In addition, I really think this team could be a playoff team as is with a new manager. I know it ain't going to happen this season, but the if we kick Ventura to the curb in the offseason, I'm not sure I want to sell leading into the 2017 season.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Oh yeah. And brought nothing back with that move.

If his physical went well, they would have acquired Arrieta.

Of course that's a Baltimore physical. Probably 95% of this year's Olympians would fail.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm with you, but it is what needs to occur. Even Bowden was on tv the other night saying how rival executives think the Sox will have the fastest rebuild of all-time.

They understand the basics. The type of talent the Sox can acquire, while nothing is a sure thing, is so much better than what we typically see dealt this time of year. Or if we do see that type of talent dealt, that's the only bullet the selling team fires of that level. So yes, this is a very unique opportunity for the Sox.

More importantly, they can stretch their payroll out with veterans or role players or make a decent splash in the next couple years because of the flexibility they'll have.

If you keep it together, and can somehow acquire the elite talent you lack offensively without dealing both arms. Fine. I won't complain (too much) but we know this isn't the case. So the longer you wait on dealing your big chips, the longer we stretch out this cycle of mediocrity and the more your value on Sale/Q dive. Much of the extreme value is in their controllability/contracts, as we all know. You wait for 2 years and you're looking at weaker package. It's just fact.

I just am not sure the 3 stooges making decisions can pull this off. And when they don't, year 3 of 3 should be the end of their jobs, not just "the plan."

If you can get Moncada and Benitendi in a deal for Sale along with some mid level prospects and Q can go to the Dodgers for their best prospects Urias, Deleon, Bellinger etc. You are looking to get back 8-10 prospects in total I imagine in these deals. If only 2 of them become All Star type talents, you won these deals. If you get more than 2 All Stars, you really won the deal.

In addition to the farm we are currently building, this team could be competitive again quickly in 2018 or 2019. Look at this lineup for 2018 and think of how cheap and good the roster could be.

RF Eaton

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

DH Abreu

C Collins

3B Frazier(if resigned or another FA or a prospect they trade for this weekend)

1B Bellinger

CF Benitendi

LF Melky(if resigned or another FA or a prospect they trade for this weekend)

SP Urias

SP Rodon

SP Deleon

SP Fulmer

SP Hansen

This lineup is much better than what it could be with keeping Sale and Q. We would continue to have 3-4 holes in the lineup just like we do now and we have seen how that has worked out. I at least trust them to develop pitching as they have a good track record there and rebuild that quickly.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
If you can get Moncada and Benitendi in a deal for Sale along with some mid level prospects and Q can go to the Dodgers for their best prospects Urias, Deleon, Bellinger etc. You are looking to get back 8-10 prospects in total I imagine in these deals. If only 2 of them become All Star type talents, you won these deals. If you get more than 2 All Stars, you really won the deal.

In addition to the farm we are currently building, this team could be competitive again quickly in 2018 or 2019. Look at this lineup for 2018 and think of how cheap and good the roster could be.

RF Eaton

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

DH Abreu

C Collins

3B Frazier(if resigned or another FA or a prospect they trade for this weekend)

1B Bellinger

CF Benitendi

LF Melky(if resigned or another FA or a prospect they trade for this weekend)

SP Urias

SP Rodon

SP Deleon

SP Fulmer

SP Hansen

This lineup is much better than what it could be with keeping Sale and Q. We would continue to have 3-4 holes in the lineup just like we do now and we have seen how that has worked out. I at least trust them to develop pitching as they have a good track record there and rebuild that quickly.

How is trading 2 in their prime All Stars signed to team friendly contracts a win if 2 of the players acquired turn into all stars?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
How is trading 2 in their prime All Stars signed to team friendly contracts a win if 2 of the players acquired turn into all stars?

Trading 2 all stars in their prime for 2 future all stars for their 6 years of control is a win. It also is a win in that it gives you even more pieces to get better as a team. They have so many holes to fill for the future. I assume these 2 trades would get you at least 2 all stars, if not more.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
The big statement here is "If it is done right..."

Who really trusts Rick Hahn to do a rebuild right in the next few days? I used to believe we should be sellers, but now I just want us to stand pat. I don't trust him to get good value for the assets we have and I'd prefer to wait for a firesale until we have a GM that could do it efficiently.

In addition, I really think this team could be a playoff team as is with a new manager. I know it ain't going to happen this season, but the if we kick Ventura to the curb in the offseason, I'm not sure I want to sell leading into the 2017 season.

A new manager is definitely needed. I think Robin will just resign during the offseason and both sides will save some face. A new manager is not going to be enough to get this team to the playoffs next year, however. The Sox will have to fill huge holes at DH, C, and CF. They will need another arm or two for the bullpen. They will need another starter to replace Shields (either traded or implodes). Then you still need to hope that Abreu bounces back, that Frazier can do more than just hit dingers, that Anderson and Rodon continue to develop, that Gonzalez doesn't turn back into a pumpkin, etc. That is too much hoping and wishing for my tastes. It's time to try something other than retooling.

If the White Sox do decide to sell, it is a golden opportunity because they will have the two most valuable assets on the trade market in Sale and Q. The Dodgers are saying they'd move Urias in a Sale deal, he's a nice starting point, something that includes De Leon, Pederson, and 3 more quality prospects sounds good. Then get Moancada, Benintendi and 3-4 more quality prospects for Quintana. Then sell the other MLB parts for interesting players/prospects, and hope for about a 60% hit rate and you have a very competitive team by 2018 or 2019.