The Top 30 White Sox Prospects, Midseason 2016

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
I agree 100% with NorthSide here, they rushed Anderson and Fulmer to help the big league club try to stay in contention. Anderson (surprisingly to me) showed he belongs, Fulmer is a different case entirely. If the Sox have any aspirations of him sticking in their rotation, they need to send him back down to keep working with Birmingham's pitching coach J.R. Perdew. Perdew was his pitching coach in Winston-Salem and helped him through his early season struggles in Birmingham.

Totally agree Rob. Very disappointed they took him out of his groove and he's gaining nothing in development by languishing in the pen and not consistently working as a starter. The stuff is obviously great and plays, but his command needs serious work still, especially if they have dreams of him starting.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Call is underrated IMO. Why is he below Jameson Fisher? He is younger and has produced better at a tougher position. He should be above Fisher.

Fisher is seen as the better hitter, they were raking at the same rate, Fisher got hurt and they have both only been in the org for a few months.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Call is underrated IMO. Why is he below Jameson Fisher? He is younger and has produced better at a tougher position. He should be above Fisher.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)
Curbelo at # 7?

Both good Mail Bag topics, thanks!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
I appreciate and respect all the Future Sox writers, but Call being ranked 15th is absurd. Behind Fisher? What? Also, Micker needs to be bumped down a bit until he shows some baseball ability. And no Delmonico in the top 30? I'm not sure why he was excluded.

I think we're going to tackle the Call vs Fisher debate in that Q&A post. But I'll just say a few basic things for now. First, in case you think we're crazy, look at the list Jim Callis (MLB Pipeline) put out - they have Fisher higher (8) and Call lower (to 24) than we do. So apparently they're even more absurd. Also, just out of curiosity, what makes people think Call is so clearly better than Fisher? If you're looking at rookie league numbers for college graduates, for a month, those should have very little bearing. If you're looking at college results, Fisher was far more impressive in a stronger league. So I guess what I'm asking is, what makes people think Call is better than Fisher?

I don't think anyone can have a legit strong opinion without having seen them first hand. However, my understanding...correct me if I am wrong...Call can play CF and maybe be a plus defender in a corner position, whereas Fisher is just learning to be a LF and downside scenario he winds up a DH.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
So Fulmer has bad mechanics, poor control, and his fastball tops out at 92. Why did they draft him again?

Fulmer may be an unpolished gem, but I think he has been brought up instead of a more deserving player because the sox have given up on the season. This is what happens in a year the sox throw in the towel I read an article that they are trying to totally revamp his mechanics obviously that has failed.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)

Fulmer may be an unpolished gem, but I think he has been brought up instead of a more deserving player because the sox have given up on the season. This is what happens in a year the sox throw in the towel I read an article that they are trying to totally revamp his mechanics. Obviously that has failed.

Edited by sammy esposito

Fulmer is an excellent example of how many posters just whacking off at the very thought of a total rebuild will just be their old pissed off selves if it ever really comes to fruition. They are already complaining about Carson Fulmer because a guy who was drafted last year isn't dominating everyone every game.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:52 AM)
I think we're going to tackle the Call vs Fisher debate in that Q&A post. But I'll just say a few basic things for now. First, in case you think we're crazy, look at the list Jim Callis (MLB Pipeline) put out - they have Fisher higher (8) and Call lower (to 24) than we do. So apparently they're even more absurd. Also, just out of curiosity, what makes people think Call is so clearly better than Fisher? If you're looking at rookie league numbers for college graduates, for a month, those should have very little bearing. If you're looking at college results, Fisher was far more impressive in a stronger league. So I guess what I'm asking is, what makes people think Call is better than Fisher?

Again, not trying to be a dick. I think you guys do an incredible job and I love these lists. I just don't agree with the Call ranking. First, I put huge stock in Hostetler's assessment of Call (from raBBit's interview) and he raved about the kid. His signing bonus reflects that the Sox don't view him as reach and I believe that. Also, when it comes to the comparison vs Fisher, Call provides defensive value. Until Fisher proves he can play a position, his value is somewhat limited. Right now, Call should be hands down the higher rated prospect IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Again, not trying to be a dick. I think you guys do an incredible job and I love these lists. I just don't agree with the Call ranking. First, I put huge stock in Hostetler's assessment of Call (from raBBit's interview) and he raved about the kid. His signing bonus reflects that the Sox don't view him as reach and I believe that. Also, when it comes to the comparison vs Fisher, Call provides defensive value. Until Fisher proves he can play a position, his value is somewhat limited. Right now, Call should be hands down the higher rated prospect IMO.

It's a very good question, that's why I want to add it to the mailbag. Not dickish at all. But I do think it's much less clear than you make it, which is sort of the debate here. We'll be going over that in an article.

I'll probably also ask Callis about, since he puts the gap far wider than even we did.

I'm dying to hear how anyone can justify a strikeout machine like Micker Adolfo being worth anything at all at this point, let alone a top 10 prospect for an MLB organization.

Yes, "he's young."

But he's striking out to a 37% clip to the October, 2016 class of Jewel grocery baggers in Single A. He's completely made of glass. And the dumbest pile of imbeciles in this front office once again went for batting practice power in this so-called "prospect" when they wasted good money on him.

That said, him being stupidly placed in Single A, where he is as out of his depth as I would be in a doctoral-level astrophysics class is clearly not helping him. It isn't helping his team mates. And it isn't helping this organization. So at least half of my irritation at his utter failure should be directed @ the front office, I suppose.

EDIT: And I write all of my irritation at seeing the next K-king failure in the SOX org, even while I appreciate and admire all the great work that Future Sox do.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)
I'm dying to hear how anyone can justify a strikeout machine like Micker Adolfo being worth anything at all at this point, let alone a top 10 prospect for an MLB organization.

Yes, "he's young."

But he's striking out to a 37% clip to the October, 2016 class of Jewel grocery baggers in Single A. He's completely made of glass. And the dumbest pile of short-bus types in this front office once again went for batting practice power in this so-called "prospect" when they wasted good money on him.

That said, him being stupidly placed in Single A, where he is as out of his depth as I would be in a doctoral-lever astrophysics class is clearly not helping him. It isn't helping his team mates. And it isn't helping this organization. So at least half of my irritation at his utter failure should be directed @ the front office, I suppose.

Don't say short bus types. Stop being an asshole.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)

Yes, "he's young."

But he's striking out to a 37% clip to the October, 2016 class of Jewel grocery baggers in Single A. He's completely made of glass. And the dumbest pile of imbeciles in this front office once again went for batting practice power in this so-called "prospect" when they wasted good money on him.

That said, him being stupidly placed in Single A, where he is as out of his depth as I would be in a doctoral-level astrophysics class is clearly not helping him. It isn't helping his team mates. And it isn't helping this organization. So at least half of my irritation at his utter failure should be directed @ the front office, I suppose.

EDIT: And I write all of my irritation at seeing the next K-king failure in the SOX org, even while I appreciate and admire all the great work that Future Sox do.

I know you are "New" here, but honestly, with the arrogant commentary that goes with your point makes it hard to read. I know you probably have a point somewhere, but it is so lost in agenda and name calling, it loses its meaning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
I know you are "New" here, but honestly, with the arrogant commentary that goes with your point makes it hard to read. I know you probably have a point somewhere, but it is so lost in agenda and name calling, it loses its meaning.

It was a bit over the top. Enough just to say he (Adolfo) is overrated. Moving him to Kanny was still the right move; he can't stay in Rookie Leagues forever. This is his third year in stateside pro ball. Might as well keep playing him every day.

Edited by oldsox