Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

I really thought something was going to happen by now, but the more I see tweets and whispers, the more I think this deadline is going to be another f***ing dud. What is supposed to motivate this fanbase anymore? Serious question.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
They still have two days.

Which really isn't that much time to pull off multiple deals. At this point you are probably looking at two deals, possibly a third if they are smaller in nature. There just isn't that much time left to iron out all the details and get KW/ownership approval of much more than that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
I am not sure I buy this logic. Sox are the type of team that places a value on each asset and wont budge past what they assess that value at. They aren't a team that makes moves on emotion.

I think they've gauged the value for Robertson, Sale, Quintana, Duke, Frazier, Cabrera, etc. They probably have offers in place. With a guy like Robertson, they're very much pushing to move him and they're probably holding out until they're sure they have the best possible offer in hand. On guys like Q/Sale, they have a price, and they are waiting for that price to be met. Maybe some team succombs to the Sox demands with the deadline approaching, maybe they don't.

I really don't see a point to moving DRob if they are planning on going for it again next year which they are if they aren't moving Sale or Q

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
I really don't see a point to moving DRob if they are planning on going for it again next year which they are if they aren't moving Sale or Q

This. Unless they get someone who can be a significant contributor next season, not some "mid-level prospects."

Whatever they do with Robertson, they better get some good value for him or keep him. He definitely should not be a salary dump.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)

Never mind 2017, if they don't move Shields Duke and Frazier, they actually still think they are going for it this year...................

My concern is this front office simply doesn't know how to sell. I'm trying to think of players they've sold at the deadline in years past and I can only think of terrible and/or meaningless deals. Ray Durham for Jon Adkins. James Baldwin for three low level prospects, one of which was a player they weren't expecting (Berry vs Barry). Thome & Iguchi for basically nothing (not suggesting they had value). Hell, Jesse Crain went from highly desirable asset to completely worthless by the time we moved him (bad luck there).

Point is I can't recall the last time we made a sale of significance at the deadline, let alone under this regime. Maybe I'm overlooking some deals, but I'm a bit worried they're in over their heads. Not sure they get the market is always fluid and if you overplay your hand, another seller can pop in and totally change the dynamics. You got to act swiftly at times and be patient at others. It's a very challenging process, one that requires quick, decisive decision-making.

And here we stand, 50 hours remaining until the deadline and we've done absolutely nothing. Even if they want to be patient with Sale & Quintana, they should have been aggressive with some of their lesser assets. If the price for Shields is any indication of the asks for their other players, then teams will quickly find cheaper alternatives. Right now, it almost feels like they think they're the only shop in town and won't budge from their ridiculous demands. I hope that isn't the case, but I have a bad feeling we're going to be the one team without a chair when the music finally stops.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Then they better add a catcher, a centerfielder, a first baseman, and a couple of bullpen arms.

Do you really think they will spend $50 million in salary next year to fill these positions with players who are actually good? Then what do they do in 2018 when Frazier, Lawrie and Melky's contracts are up? Spend another $50 million to replace. Now is the time to sell and rebuild the farm. This situation could not be any more ideal. Selling 2 of the top SP in the game and get back huge hauls for the future. Trading now will have you in a good position as early as 2018.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
Well, I guess James Shields is the only guy that *COULD* be an expiring deal if he pitches well enough to opt out. I still think he's a better candidate for an August trade anyway though.

The odds of Shields keeping this performance up is incredibly low. His periphials suck and some serious regression should be expected. All it takes is one s***ty start for him to destroy all the goodwill he's developed over the past 5 starts. Deal him now while there still is some interest.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
Do you really think they will spend $50 million in salary next year to fill these positions with players who are actually good? Then what do they do in 2018 when Frazier, Lawrie and Melky's contracts are up? Spend another $50 million to replace. Now is the time to sell and rebuild the farm. This situation could not be any more ideal. Selling 2 of the top SP in the game and get back huge hauls for the future. Trading now will have you in a good position as early as 2018.

Agreed. Rebuilding the farm does a couple of things. For one, farm players are cheap when they enter the league. Also, they allow your FO to decide how much they're willing to spend.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
The odds of Shields keeping this performance up is incredibly low. His periphials suck and some serious regression should be expected. All it takes is one s***ty start for him to destroy all the goodwill he's developed over the past 5 starts. Deal him now while there still is some interest.

Well, he doesn't have to be a sub-2 ERA guy for the rest of the year to want to opt out. But if his last 15 starts of the year or so result in an ERA in the 3's in a hitters ballpark, I could see him possibly opting out to go to a team that is NOT rebuilding like the Sox may be.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Well, he doesn't have to be a sub-2 ERA guy for the rest of the year to want to opt out. But if his last 15 starts of the year or so result in an ERA in the 3's in a hitters ballpark, I could see him possibly opting out to go to a team that is NOT rebuilding like the Sox may be.

No way in hell is James Shields opting out, it's simply not happening. The guy is guaranteed $42M over the next two years. He is not getting more than that as a free agent. I think there's a better chance he retires than opting out.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)

Nope.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)

Jones is better than him though. They have a replacement in house and can use the savings on something else. Burdi will be in back end at some point as well.

Rick Hahn "We had talked about a bunch of different possibilities with different teams...but uh...we didnt find the right fit with the criteria of players we wanted. But we're always listening. We'll continue to try and improve this team in anyway possible for the near term/long term future".

Just outlined Monday's speech.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Rick Hahn "We had talked about a bunch of different possibilities with different teams...but uh...we didnt find the right fit with the criteria of players we wanted. But we're always listening. We'll continue to try and improve this team in anyway possible for the near term/long term future".

Just outlined Monday's speech.

You probably nailed it.