Sox are going to blow this, aren't they?

Dunt

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
"Mired in mediocrity" then only trades Zach Duke. Gutless franchise

I don't fault them for not moving Sale/Q given what was rumored but seriously, why waste so much time entertaining Boston? Just tell them what you want with every team and tell them not to call back unless they are meeting your demands.

Then turn your attention to moving guys like Melky, Robertson, Frazier, Shields, Gonzalez.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
I don't fault them for not moving Sale/Q given what was rumored but seriously, why waste so much time entertaining Boston? Just tell them what you want with every team and tell them not to call back unless they are meeting your demands.

Then turn your attention to moving guys like Melky, Robertson, Frazier, Shields, Gonzalez.

I'm just going to chose to believe that this will work in the end. If I don't stay optimistic I'll be a sour f***er that gets banned and I don't want that. Trying not to lose it over this awful franchise now.

I really think they are going for it with the same roster again next year. In fact in the trade deadline prediction thread I said the most likely scenario was no one traded, second most likely was robertson, third most likely was we are buyers.

I think I was almost spot on. Just was off on Robertson it was Duke moved.

Edited by soxforlife05

They are going for it next year. They will add some veteran to replace Avi. Hahn and KW are looking at the back of the cards and hope for regression from the rest pac k in the AL central

Chris Sale will be traded at the trading deadline of his final year after a very public contract negotiation when they will hope for a hometown discount.

Basically this isn't going to change until the nepotism gravy train of former sox players having important positions in the organization is over. That is the post Jerry era. There is no plan right now.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
They are going for it next year. They will add some veteran to replace Avi. Hahn and KW are looking at the back of the cards and hope for regression from the rest pac k in the AL central

Chris Sale will be traded at the trading deadline of his final year after a very public contract negotiation when they will hope for a hometown discount.

Basically this isn't going to change until the nepotism gravy train of former sox players having important positions in the organization is over. That is the post Jerry era.

They are most definitly going for it again next year. The lack of activity today proves that. Sale and Q aren't going anywhere during the offseason. The question is whether or not Jerry will open up the pocketbooks to bring in a couple of impact bats.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
They are most definitly going for it again next year. The lack of activity today proves that. Sale and Q aren't going anywhere during the offseason. The question is whether or not Jerry will open up the pocketbooks to bring in a couple of impact bats.

What impact bats!? Lol. I'd rather not make any significant FA moves for an extended period (ie beyone one year). Just lose with dignity.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I'd like to just know this simple question. I'm not even expecting any examples of trades or FA signings, just an overall idea.

How does this team improve for 2017? Enough not to be mired in mediocrity and making a run worthwhile

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
I'd like to just know this simple question. I'm not even expecting any examples of trades or FA signings, just an overall idea.

How does this team improve for 2017? Enough not to be mired in mediocrity and making a run worthwhile

They can find a couple broken down vets and a new manager and make a run at 87 wins. And then blame the fans for not coming out to see a "playoff contender." BAD FANS!

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)

Jerry won't out-bid teams for Cespedes, Reddick, Rasmus, etc.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)

Catcher: We need one of those

First Base: We need one of these

Second Base: Lawrie

Shortstop: Anderson

Third Base: Frazier

Left Field: Cabrera

Center Field: We need one of those

Right Field: Eaton

DH: Abreu

We need 3 MLB quality starters, not JB Shucks and Tyler Saladinos.. that's a tall order for one offseason and a weak FA class. Outside of Frazier, this team has no power. This is just a bad offense that needs a lot more work than can be done in one offseason.

SP: Sale

SP: Quintana

SP: Rodon

SP: Shields

SP: Gonzalez

CL: Robertson

Pitching, starting rotation good but the bullpen needs a little work..

All in all, there's too much work to be done for this team to be good enough to make the playoffs in 2017

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)

"Going for it" is a weird saying regarding the Sox. We've had one good month the last few seasons. This past April.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
All in all, there's too much work to be done for this team to be good enough to make the playoffs in 2017

They can DH/1B Frazier and Abreu and move Saladino to 3B. Or they can DH/1B Frazier and Abreu and move Lawrie to 3B and Saladino to 2B. If they made this move they would have to fill the remaining holes by signing Ramos and Desmond. I'm sure that will add ~$35 mill annually to the payroll.

If Tilson panned out for CF they could do something like sign Encarnacion/Trumbo and Ramos.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:26 AM)
They can DH/1B Frazier and Abreu and move Saladino to 3B. Or they can DH/1B Frazier and Abreu and move Lawrie to 3B and Saladino to 2B. If they made this move they would have to fill the remaining holes by signing Ramos and Desmond. I'm sure that will add ~$35 mill annually to the payroll.

If Tilson panned out for CF they could do something like sign Encarnacion/Trumbo and Ramos.

We couldn't pick up a single guy from this loaded off season and now we're going to acquire Ramos/Desmond/Encarnacion in 1 off season and commit probably around 200-250 million? Nahhhhh

It's pretty silly that Jose Abreu @ 68mm, John Danks @ 65mm, and Adam Dunn @ 56mm are the largest White Sox contracts ever. That should tell you everything you need to know about us signing "big" free agents in the future.

:(

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
We couldn't pick up a single guy from this loaded off season and now we're going to acquire Ramos/Desmond/Encarnacion in 1 off season and commit probably around 200-250 million? Nahhhhh

No one was traded at the deadline so I can only assume they intend to be buyers next offseason unless front office and/or manager changes are made. Has nothing to do what I think they should do. I've already made numerous long posts about why the Sox should be selling.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 05:26 AM)

This is exactly the type of moves they have been making and then failing. Boosting people like Saladino into a full time role is entirely stupid. He is a great defensive backup. They need to go get a C, 1B/3B/DH and an OF. 3 good guys, not 3 scrubs, or bounce back candidates, 37+ year old veterans, backups who look like they could be good. If they can't do that, they need to tear it down and start over. They already have too many question marks as it is with everyone else in that lineup. No one has been truly consistent outside of Eaton the past few years.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
This is exactly the type of moves they have been making and then failing. Boosting people like Saladino into a full time role is entirely stupid. He is a great defensive backup. They need to go get a C, 1B/3B/DH and an OF. 3 good guys, not 3 scrubs, or bounce back candidates, 37+ year old veterans, backups who look like they could be good. If they can't do that, they need to tear it down and start over. They already have too many question marks as it is with everyone else in that lineup. No one has been truly consistent outside of Eaton the past few years.

I have this creeping suspicion that things are not quite what they seem...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 08:57 PM)
It's pretty silly that Jose Abreu @ 68mm, John Danks @ 65mm, and Adam Dunn @ 56mm are the largest White Sox contracts ever. That should tell you everything you need to know about us signing "big" free agents in the future.

To be fair, they were in on Tanaka.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)

Still not ready to call the Abreu deal a bust. He's been a top-5 1B for 2 years and hit a rut this year (on a team with absolutely no direction). I believe in his ability to bounce back. Even .280/25/100 is a bargain at 6/68. Through this disaster of a year by his standards, he's still on pace for .270/18/87. A hot streak for him could easily put him back into the .280/25/100 conversation--in an off year. I'll take that as a floor any day.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
Still not ready to call the Abreu deal a bust. He's been a top-5 1B for 2 years and hit a rut this year (on a team with absolutely no direction). I believe in his ability to bounce back. Even .280/25/100 is a bargain at 6/68. Through this disaster of a year by his standards, he's still on pace for .270/18/87. A hot streak for him could easily put him back into the .280/25/100 conversation--in an off year. I'll take that as a floor any day.

He didn't say it was a bust. Just the truth that it's one of the biggest contracts they've given out.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
He didn't say it was a bust. Just the truth that it's one of the biggest contracts they've given out.

Yup. I'm not calling Abreu a bust by any means. In fact, personally I believe he'll have a great second half and an even better next year. However, he IS the largest free agent we've ever signed.

I know they were in on Cespedes, Gordon, Tanaka, Arod... But we never push the chips in to land the big fish. Either that's going to change eventually or we're always going to be muddled in the middle.