White Sox trade Zach Duke to the STL Cardinals

flavum

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:53 AM)
yeah they are definitely trading more

the purge: white sox edition is in effect for the next 29 hours.

stay indoors... upgrade your security systems... and for the love of god, arm yourself!

I know im ready for the purge lol

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
Feel like this move is pretty telling about what direction they want to go in. Especially if they deal Robertson.

Ok, so what does it tell you? I suspect I know, but I'll bite nonetheless...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah, the thing with Duke is, he is one of the guys you don't have to move just to move...because you're going to need pen arms next year and he would be just as attractive at next year's deadline as this year's (if not more).

Maybe they actually like this guy, because there was no reason to give Duke away.

Eh, we know Duke is smoke and mirrors. He could easily have an ERA over 5 by this time next year. I think this was certainly the right time to trade him.

It doesn't look like they liked him as much as Keenyn Walker.

Maybe a decent 4th OF is a real nice return for Duke. But as I posted before and has been posted a couple times since, there really is no reason to make this trade right now unless something big is going to happen.

LH relief is needed. Relief is needed. He doesn't make a ton of money, and the prospect coming back isn't overwhelming. Some dominoes are going to fall.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah, the thing with Duke is, he is one of the guys you don't have to move just to move...because you're going to need pen arms next year and he would be just as attractive at next year's deadline as this year's (if not more).

Maybe they actually like this guy, because there was no reason to give Duke away.

Yeah, I'm guessing they're higher on him than most. Just not sure what this accomplishes long-term when you have a guy like Adam Engel with far more upside sitting at AAA right now. Again, I think Tilson can be a nice 4th OF, but that's so far down our list of needs, I'm shocked they went there first. Plus we already have a lack of power throughout our OF.

Oh well, at the very least they better be planning on calling him up soon. No reason at this point not to give him the CF job for two months and see what you have.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:58 AM)

Maybe a decent 4th OF is a real nice return for Duke. But as I posted before and has been posted a couple times since, there really is no reason to make this trade right now unless something big is going to happen.

LH relief is needed. Relief is needed. He doesn't make a ton of money, and the prospect coming back isn't overwhelming. Some dominoes are going to fall.

Yeah, this is how I feel. If they don't decide to rebuild, they are going to need this same piece next year anyways. Why trade him away for a 4th OF just so they have to go extend themselves out another 3 years on Duke's replacement?

Obviously Duke is expendable if you get a good piece back, but this doesn't appear to be someone they couldn't live without.

If they wanted to reload for next year, they could have held Duke and kept him for next year's pen, and unloaded him at the deadline next year, probably for more.

At worst, were they not sure of their direction, they could have made this move tomorrow after determining what other moves could be made.

To me, this means a flurry of other moves should be coming.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Ok, so what does it tell you? I suspect I know, but I'll bite nonetheless...

If they trade Robertson soon, thinning the bullpen even more than it is now, I think it means rebuild. Keeping Robertson I think we have potential to retool in the offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

I agree. Seems like a prelude to bigger deal or more deals.

What stands out for me is that Tilson appears to have some on-base skills. He has an above average .OBP and can draw some walks. The Sox need more consistent .OBP throughout the line-up for a more consistent offensive attack. Additionally, sounds like he has the potential to play slightly above average defense. Not a bad return for Duke.

QUOTE (infohawk @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
What stands out for me is that Tilson appears to have some on-base skills. He has an above average .OBP and can draw some walks. The Sox need more consistent .OBP throughout the line-up for a more consistent offensive attack. Additionally, sounds like he has the potential to play slightly above average defense. Not a bad return for Duke.

They seem to be moving more towards OBP oriented.

Not a bad deal at all...likely a Peter Bourjous type but could also excel into someone like Denard Span and be our regular CF for 5-6 years.

I would have rather seen a Shields/Gonzalez package with Duke to maxamize the return, but nothing to complain about getting Tilson. Sadly, he shifts right into our top 3 or 4 hitting prospects

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
What is there to say? Looks like a 4th OF which for a normal organization wouldn't be too exciting. But somehow, we don't have one. having Shuck start 40 games in CF is a fireable offense in and of itself.

Problem is that the Sox don't have a 3rd OF. Jackson was really a 4th OF...

Yes this must be a prelude to a larger teardown for it to make much sense. Duke wasn't making that much money. had a high K rate.

Edited by GreenSox