Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 01:47 AM)
Make them take Shields and the Padres money for Puig straight up. They can throw in Avi if they want him for some silly reason.

I'd be OK with that. Avi and Shields for Puig. Sox could gamble that Shields gets good again next year, but obviously he appears to be done.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)

I'm all for an acquisition of Puig. Desparate times call for yadda yadda. Normally I'm a bit leery of NL hitters but not Puig. The talent is so huge and the price supposedly so low there should be serious consideration given to acquiring him. A guy like Renteria might be a good manager for him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
I'm all for an acquisition of Puig. Desparate times call for yadda yadda. Normally I'm a bit leery of NL hitters but not Puig. The talent is so huge and the price supposedly so low there should be serious consideration given to acquiring him. A guy like Renteria might be a good manager for him.

I am torn. He could be a guy who in a place like the Sox could thrive, or he could crater. He won't have the media eye on him like he does in LA, and the atmosphere is a little more friendly and protective of the players. Of course that could backfire too. Honestly, if the Dodgers were really giving him away, i would take a chance on him. His deal really isn't that big, and the upside is worth the bet. He doesn't have long left on his deal anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
I am torn. He could be a guy who in a place like the Sox could thrive, or he could crater. He won't have the media eye on him like he does in LA, and the atmosphere is a little more friendly and protective of the players. Of course that could backfire too. Honestly, if the Dodgers were really giving him away, i would take a chance on him. His deal really isn't that big, and the upside is worth the bet. He doesn't have long left on his deal anyway.

I totally agree. If you are going into a rebuild, he could be a guy that you could buy extremely low on and then flip him for some significant pieces of value down the road.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)

Latest reports are that Puig isn't even likely to get a September call up even though Reddick has been terrible with them so far. Puig is also reportedly being a model citizen in the minors. Could just be BS to boost his price but he is destroying AAA pitching. Also reports of trying to give him away are kind of exaggerated.

If a guy like Puig can rebound to near MVP level imagine the boon it could be for the Sox. Those opportunities to acquire young talent at semi discounted prices do not come along very often. It makes me wonder exactly what the Dodgers want for him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
Latest reports are that Puig isn't even likely to get a September call up even though Reddick has been terrible with them so far. Puig is also reportedly being a model citizen in the minors. Could just be BS to boost his price but he is destroying AAA pitching. Also reports of trying to give him away are kind of exaggerated.

If a guy like Puig can rebound to near MVP level imagine the boon it could be for the Sox. Those opportunities to acquire young talent at semi discounted prices do not come along very often. It makes me wonder exactly what the Dodgers want for him.

He wouldn't even have to get back to his rookie year to benefit the Sox a lot. If he got into the .800 to .850 OPS range, that would be a huge shot in the arm for this team over what we have seen this year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
Puig for Shields + Padres cash. This is what I would attempt.

That might have worked at the trade deadline when Shields was in the middle of a decent run of pitching . Not sure the Sox would ve done it since they had only recently acquired him but it appears that chance is over even with the Padres cash included. Now I'm pretty sure the Sox would do that in a heartbeat but the Dodgers would probably laugh .

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
He wouldn't even have to get back to his rookie year to benefit the Sox a lot. If he got into the .800 to .850 OPS range, that would be a huge shot in the arm for this team over what we have seen this year.

That's what I'm saying . You shouldn't be torn at all. The hitting , the fielding, the arm, the excitement level in L.A. and across the nation was huge when he was at his best. One move like that and it changes the whole outlook on what direction to move in the off season.All he has to do is mature a little bit. Right now he is thriving in the non pressure cooker that is the minors.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
That's what I'm saying . You shouldn't be torn at all. The hitting , the fielding, the arm, the excitement level in L.A. and across the nation was huge when he was at his best. One move like that and it changes the whole outlook on what direction to move in the off season.All he has to do is mature a little bit. Right now he is thriving in the non pressure cooker that is the minors.

That is what scares me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
That is what scares me.

LOL well if he wasn't a headache he wouldn't be available. He's a bit of a prima donna but he hasn't done anything disasterous. The whole thing about him shoving his sister in a bar brawl was investigated by MLB and they found nothing. There are always rifts and tensions between team mates. The majority of them just aren't known unless it results in an injury like the Butler/Valencia thing.

Yes there are other concerns too. He achieved too much too soon and he wasn't ready for it. Always seemed to be uncoachable missing cutoff men showing off his arm , poor base running going through stop signs things like that. His nickname is Wild Horse and he never appeared to want to be saddled. But there is a learning curve for guys like that. It's just never been fast enough nor did it ever appear he wanted to change. You just hope he's been humbled somewhat and is ready to start fresh.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
LOL well if he wasn't a headache he wouldn't be available. He's a bit of a prima donna but he hasn't done anything disasterous. The whole thing about him shoving his sister in a bar brawl was investigated by MLB and they found nothing. There are always rifts and tensions between team mates. The majority of them just aren't known unless it results in an injury like the Butler/Valencia thing.

Yes there are other concerns too. He achieved too much too soon and he wasn't ready for it. Always seemed to be uncoachable missing cutoff men showing off his arm , poor base running going through stop signs things like that. His nickname is Wild Horse and he never appeared to want to be saddled. But there is a learning curve for guys like that. It's just never been fast enough nor did it ever appear he wanted to change. You just hope he's been humbled somewhat and is ready to start fresh.

Yeah, if there wasn't something decent going on, he'd still be a Dodger. There would also be 29 other teams begging to take him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Yes, there is something really bad there or he wouldn't be in AAA.

I think it's more of he needed to be shown he wasn't above the team. The "where there's smoke there's fire" theory can't be ignored but it's not as bad as all that. The Dodgers can sit on him all they want since he's under contract and they can afford to "teach him a lesson".

As long as the Dodgers are in a playoff position they have time to let Reddick adjust and let Puig show he can live without being a huge annoyance. Winning without Kershaw or Puig has allowed the Dodgers to be patient with the whole Puig situation.

The Oakland A's of the 70's and the Yankees with Billy Martin and Reggie Jackson blow ups are things that at least to me are similar.. Not sure how bad you think really bad is. Big ego ,yes, drugs or domestic violence extremely doubtful.

When you have a huge consistent talent like Kershaw supposedly saying the Dodgers should get rid of him you defer to Kershaw. Putting him in the minors and not planning a September call up is getting rid of him more or less.