Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
How does the order work for who has first crack at picking him up off waivers? Is it by current record or last years record or? From what I understand, once a team picks up a player from waivers they have 10 days to work out a deal with that team, if I understand it correctly?

That's different. This is trade waivers. Team putting the player on waivers has 48 hours to work out a deal with highest priority claiming team. Or they can let him go or pull him back.

The order is reverse standings. AL gets first crack at AL players and NL gets first crack at NL players.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
How does the order work for who has first crack at picking him up off waivers? Is it by current record or last years record or? From what I understand, once a team picks up a player from waivers they have 10 days to work out a deal with that team, if I understand it correctly?

Bottom to top teams in the same league this year then bottom to top teams in the opposite league. I wouldn't expect a Puig waiver deal. Dodgers might need him still this year. Maybe off season . Dodgers aren't desperate to be rid of him despite those reports of them trying to give him away.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 11:57 PM)
He's a positive WAR player the past two seasons. He was worth what Trayce was in 2015 and more than Trayce this year.

Or is Trayce someone that you don't want on an MLB roster?

Per this board, Trayce is useless...4th outfielder.

What, pray tell, is your objection to only trading at a steep discount? Would would you suggest paying for him? Top dollar? Top 100 prospects?

Go back and look at threads from 2 years ago...you'll see plenty of suggestions of Q plus for him.

.706 OPS this year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)

What, pray tell, is your objection to only trading at a steep discount? Would would you suggest paying for him? Top dollar? Top 100 prospects?

Go back and look at threads from 2 years ago...you'll see plenty of suggestions of Q plus for him.

.706 OPS this year.

April/March .697 OPS

May .955 OPS

June .700 OPS

July .496 OPS

Aug MIA

And lets not pretend you werent like he was a guaranteed +.800 OPS guy

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)

.706 OPS this year.

I did not realize how far he fell during the course of the season. His defensive numbers have been awful. They are negative across the board. Even his offensive numbers fell off pretty hard.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=OF

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
So much misinformation out there on Puig, hard to know where teams really stand. I just know that I will be on record that I'd be all for him. Then again, I've said it for a while and the price I would have paid for him would have been much greater a year ago, so probably a good thing the Sox don't listen to me when it comes to Puig. I do know he is the type of lottery ticket who could be a HUGE HUGE spark plug for the team (if he can play to his tools), but he's also been the guy of declining metrics with injury issues for the past couple of seasons too.

I'd be on board with the Sox acquiring him, too. If it's true that the Dodgers were willing to essentially "give him away" (which I doubt), the Sox shouldn't have to give much up for him. However, I'd be very surprised if he's not claimed before the Sox's turn.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
I'd take Puig if they eat some of his contract. We could sign Cespedes and get the 3 Cubans together. I wonder if Puig would become less of a negative distraction in this scenario.

Give them Avi Garcia for Puig with them eating some of Puig's contract.

The White Sox wouldn't be able to dump Avi's salary on any team in exchange for nothing. He literally has negative value. He's going to be non-tendered in the offseason. An inclusion of Avi in any trade means the Sox have to add more to the deal.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
The White Sox wouldn't be able to dump Avi's salary on any team in exchange for nothing. He literally has negative value. He's going to be non-tendered in the offseason. An inclusion of Avi in any trade means the Sox have to add more to the deal.

The Sox are going to let Avi play and see if any of the work they did with him pays off. I like that they changed his "launch angle". He needs to hit the ball in the air more. Whether it translates into a guy like Nelson Cruz or Jose Bautista who both sucked so bad at the same age, is probably a longshot. But see what he's got. Non tendered seems to be close to a given at this point unless he looks like a changed guy for more than a week or so.

He does have games where if you didn't see the entire season, you would have to figure he was a star. He can hit the ball really hard, and seems to bear down a bit late in games. He actually tied for the league lead in walk off hits last year with Josh Donaldson.

But once he gets you really excited, he always seems to show you why you kick yourself for being excited.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)

I still would be surprised if Garcia was non-tendered, flat out doing that, letting him go reflects badly on the front office since he was the "centerpiece" of their first major deal under Hahn.

I think he needs to go, absolutely...but the Sox won't just release him / give him away.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
I still would be surprised if Garcia was non-tendered, flat out doing that, letting him go reflects badly on the front office since he was the "centerpiece" of their first major deal under Hahn.

I think he needs to go, absolutely...but the Sox won't just release him / give him away.

Mark

Front offices don't think this way, at least not after several years.

I'm on the fence yet with Avi. Can he be on a 25 man roster and not be an everyday player, I dunno. Backup LF/RF/DH spot starter against lame duck pitchers? Not sure. He IS better than guys like Shuck, Sands, Coats. Wouldn't be the worst guy filling in on a temporary basis if somebody gets hurt.

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

Well see, the Dodgers are paying Puig to rot in the minors it's like the Shields deal all over again. It's a pure salary dump for the Dodgers with Puig like it was for Shields. There's no way we should give up more than someone like Avi for Puig.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Well see, the Dodgers are paying Puig to rot in the minors it's like the Shields deal all over again. It's a pure salary dump for the Dodgers with Puig like it was for Shields. There's no way we should give up more than someone like Avi for Puig.

It's not a salary dump for the Dodgers. $17.5 million over 2 years is nothing for them and shouldn't even be much of a factor if the Sox want him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
sources: puig has been claimed on waivers. dodgers can try to work out a deal with that team, if they can.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/770727769273663489

Havent seen anything on what team claimed him

I realize that no one knows who the claiming team is...but this just wreaks of the White Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
Robertson for Puig makes a ton of sense

I was thinking similar of a one for one of Robertson for McCann. Sox had interest in McCann when he was a free agent, have had a hole at catcher, both have 2 years left on deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

1. I would not trade for Brian McCann. He has not been good for 3 years. Robertson at least has a chance to be a difference maker in the backend of the bullpen even if he is overpaid.

2. I totally think the White Sox would put a waiver request out for Puig. I just don't think there is a chance in hell that every team in the National League passed on putting a claim for him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Puig and Avi have Ben pretty similar offensively his season

But Puig has been an excellent defender throughout his career and brings a ton of value there (and compared to Avi, who is brutal in the field, the measures are even more comical). Offensively, he also is having his worse yes (yes, trend has also been negative) but prior to this year, he also was light years better than Avi offensively (as well).