Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
Or they trade for him while his value is low, he has a bounce back and they trade him for a huge profit.

Yeah, if you aren't giving up a lot of young talent to get him Puig actually makes a ton of sense for the Sox to bet on if they are rebuilding. Worst case is you pay him $20 million the next couple of year to play out the string on some bad teams. In the best case he regains his 2013 and 2014 form and you can trade him for a bunch more young talent (or try to resign him).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
User Actions

Following

Bob NightengaleVerified account

‏@BNightengale

The #Whitesox insist they are not having any trade talks with #Dodgers involving Yasiel Puig

This guy is beyond legit so that squashes Puig for sure

There was a time not too long ago when the prospect of acquiring Puig was definitely intriguing. But given his continuing struggles offensively in the National League, not so sure I'm keen on acquiring him and putting him in an American League lineup that is already next to last in the league in offense.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
There was a time not too long ago when the prospect of acquiring Puig was definitely intriguing. But given his continuing struggles offensively in the National League, not so sure I'm keen on acquiring him and putting him in an American League lineup that is already next to last in the league in offense.

He has a ton of talent, but you do have a point. There is nothing to suggest he would break his malaise coming to the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
He has a ton of talent, but you do have a point. There is nothing to suggest he would break his malaise coming to the White Sox.

If we're not going to compete, it's a risk I'm willing to take, or support, rather. Plus, at least he'd make this team more entertaining.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
If we're not going to compete, it's a risk I'm willing to take, or support, rather. Plus, at least he'd make this team more entertaining.

That's a good point too. If they are going to rebuild, they have to have someone around to keep it interesting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
That's a good point too. If they are going to rebuild, they have to have someone around to keep it interesting.

And if you are giving up someone like Shields or even Robertson for that matter, I can at least see the upside of the Puig proposition. He is the type of example of a guy who could potentially benefit from a change of scenery. The Dodgers view him for what he's been and it is hard to change their perception and I think as a result he's very "tight" at this point. I think going elsewhere will help him. That isn't to say he instantly becomes the player he was the 1st two years, but that talent exists and even getting to 80% of that would be very valuable, imo.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
It's probably Shields as the main piece. It's probably going to happen now that they have Reddick, just My hunch.

That would be a steal.

I wonder if a holdup in moving Shields is that JR doesn't want to kick back the 20MM that the Padres sent his way.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
That would be a steal.

I wonder if a holdup in moving Shields is that JR doesn't want to kick back the 20MM that the Padres sent his way.

the hold up is probably what the dodgers eat from Puig salary, or what part of the Shields savings we pass on.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Dodgers trying to "give away" Puig but nobody wants him. He's hitting over .400 in AAA and was over .300 in his last 30 MLB games

Source?

Did he pass through waivers without a claim?

He has $14 million left on his contract the next two years...and even one arbitration year, and no team will take that on?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Source?

He has $14 million left on his contract the next two years...and even one arbitration year, and no team will take that on?

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/08/22/the-do...ve-had-no-luck/

Not sure if he went unclaimed

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Source?

It's because he is an asshat