Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
If he had some good Latin influences like Abreu and Melky to set him straight, I don't see any reason why Puig couldn't thrive in Chicago.

Most of the time to improve your character as an individual that has to come from within.Role models help of course but you have to want to change.

Role models appear to be a big influence in playing the game also.

I was just reading that Adrian Gonzales used to play a game with Puig to see who could get on base most during a game. This kind of thing fires up the competitive nature in athletes. Maybe it was a bet or whatever I don't know but Puig became a much more disciplined hitter laying off a lot of pitches at which he used to swing .

I'd love the Sox to have a leader in this type of game. Give little rewards for best OBP per game or contribute to a jackpot for the end of the season .

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Worth a risk I suppose if at steep discount. Big if.

I thought you wanted youth ? Everyone acts like he's an ax murderer . He just a a young rich dude who capitalized on his talent.Probably lacks some social skills and maturity but thats not so terrible and fairly common in sports.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)
So those reports of the Dodgers trying to give Puig away are all BS.

I said those reports were exaggerated in post 63 in this thread. Right now Dodgers are just hedging their bets because Reddick has sucked for them but they have a rookie named Andrew Toles who plays all 3 OF positions and in hitting .358 with a high OBP and OPS but in just 53 AB. If Toles peters out, as sometimes rookies do, they still have Puig to fall back on but they would really prefer not to. They would much prefer Reddick to start not sucking.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 11:12 PM)
I thought you wanted youth ? Everyone acts like he's an ax murderer . He just a a young rich dude who capitalized on his talent.Probably lacks some social skills and maturity but thats not so terrible and fairly common in sports.

?? he's 25.

He isn't in the minors because of his personality. He's in the minors because he hasn't been a good player the last 2 years.

Note the words "steep discount."

You certainly don't pay for his 2014 production.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
?? he's 25.

He isn't in the minors because of his personality. He's in the minors because he hasn't been a good player the last 2 years.

He had like an .800 OPS over his last 40 games with LAD.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
?? he's 25.

He's a positive WAR player the past two seasons. He was worth what Trayce was in 2015 and more than Trayce this year.

Or is Trayce someone that you don't want on an MLB roster?

I'd take Puig if they eat some of his contract. We could sign Cespedes and get the 3 Cubans together. I wonder if Puig would become less of a negative distraction in this scenario.

Give them Avi Garcia for Puig with them eating some of Puig's contract.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
I'd take Puig if they eat some of his contract. We could sign Cespedes and get the 3 Cubans together. I wonder if Puig would become less of a negative distraction in this scenario.

Give them Avi Garcia for Puig with them eating some of Puig's contract.

Ok Puig makes about $17.5M for 2 years. It's not all that much. Pretty doubtful the Dodgers eat any of it unless they get someone they really like for less back.

Also Cespedes has already said he doesn't plan on exercising his option meaning he will stay with the Mets. That could change of course but how likely is that after he's already said he will stay with NY ?

I'd be really surprised if they traded him this year. Even with reports saying he won't even be called up in September they have to know if Reddick continues to struggle or Toles ( rookie OF doing well) fades he'd have to be considered as a replacement.

So much misinformation out there on Puig, hard to know where teams really stand. I just know that I will be on record that I'd be all for him. Then again, I've said it for a while and the price I would have paid for him would have been much greater a year ago, so probably a good thing the Sox don't listen to me when it comes to Puig. I do know he is the type of lottery ticket who could be a HUGE HUGE spark plug for the team (if he can play to his tools), but he's also been the guy of declining metrics with injury issues for the past couple of seasons too.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
So much misinformation out there on Puig, hard to know where teams really stand. I just know that I will be on record that I'd be all for him. Then again, I've said it for a while and the price I would have paid for him would have been much greater a year ago, so probably a good thing the Sox don't listen to me when it comes to Puig. I do know he is the type of lottery ticket who could be a HUGE HUGE spark plug for the team (if he can play to his tools), but he's also been the guy of declining metrics with injury issues for the past couple of seasons too.

Buying low . What could be better ? Rangers bought low on Desmond and he was 29.Our dumpster dives have been veterans on the last legs of their careers. Getting Puig now after some successful seasons in MLB would be fantastic. Think of him as a 25 year old Cuban hitting the open market now .

Look at what Rusney Castillo and Yasmany Tomas got ( both more than Abreu). 32 year old Yulieski Gurriel just got 5yr/ $47.5M from the Astros. Puig would only cost around $17.5M for 2 years plus and an arbitration year and whomever the Sox traded for him. That kind of bargain is right up the Sox alley.

How does the order work for who has first crack at picking him up off waivers? Is it by current record or last years record or? From what I understand, once a team picks up a player from waivers they have 10 days to work out a deal with that team, if I understand it correctly?