Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

Puig made a lot of throwing mistakes early showing off his arm...but has gradually curbed that.

With all the highlight reel plays in 2013, there would be another 2-3 missed cutoff men and one ball with so much air under it that it would clear everyone or fly into the crowd.

The biggest issue seems to losing some of his fast twitch muscles bulking up too much and/or lack of conditioning...and it's affecting him most at the plate. He used to kill fastballs and be vulnerable to low the outside breaking stuff (see Abreu earlier this year)...when there was speculation Abreu was old/er. With Puig, it was losing his response time and becoming a pure guess hitter, coupled with a prolonged loading mechanism/swing.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
April/March .697 OPS

May .955 OPS

June .700 OPS

July .496 OPS

Aug MIA

And lets not pretend you werent like he was a guaranteed +.800 OPS guy

what your point. I said .706 he was Sent down for performance not personality. Looks like you're confirming my assertion.

I think I've been pretty consistent in saying that Sox should trade for these guys before they become proven because you get them at a much lower price. I credited the Sox with the Eaton in that regard and wonder why they make so few of those trades despite the FO high success rate with them. Trading for proven young players is to do something like the Swisher trade, which was another Kenny Williams clown show both in acquisition and dispersal. You have to overpay. This may be an opportunity to get somebody on the cheap and if it is on the cheap I'm all for it.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
I expect the Dodgers to pull him back and make him available again this winter.

A trade for Puig and sign Cespedes will get me all hyped lol. Although, I'd rather see a rebuild.

Either direction we go - I'm very interested to see what they put together. No matter what I'll always follow the Sox and be a die hard fan.... So it'll be easy for me to eat up whatever they decide to do.

I'm with you thou - I'd much rather enjoy supporting the team though a 3 year plus rebuild. Even if it means a couple 100 loss seasons. That sure would make draft day fun.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
What's your point?

My point is Puig is mostly hype at this point. He has not been getting it done on the field. Maybe he turns it around, but why would anyone think the White Sox would get more out of him than the Dodgers.? Offensively he is now Avi who is most likely a non tender this winter.. Why be on the hook for $18 million more? The Sox need offense.

It is easy to see why people would be excited about acquiring him, but the reality is the Dodgers have him in AAA for a reason, and if his career trend continues the Eox front office would be considered fools once again for bringing him in.

There is obviously a chance at a hitting a home run here, but there is also a hig bust possibility IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 06:54 AM)
My point is Puig is mostly hype at this point. He has not been getting it done on the field. Maybe he turns it around, but why would anyone think the White Sox would get more out of him than the Dodgers.? Offensively he is now Avi who is most likely a non tender this winter.. Why be on the hook for $18 million more? The Sox need offense.

It is easy to see why people would be excited about acquiring him, but the reality is the Dodgers have him in AAA for a reason, and if his career trend continues the Eox front office would be considered fools once again for bringing him in.

There is obviously a chance at a hitting a home run here, but there is also a hig bust possibility IMO.

Agree. Unless they are giving him away financially, this is a pass. Especially with the way we have seen NL players perform moving over to the AL

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 11:47 PM)
I expect the Dodgers to pull him back and make him available again this winter.

A trade for Puig and sign Cespedes will get me all hyped lol. Although, I'd rather see a rebuild.

You'd have to also sign Ramos to be looking at a team that would be likely to make the playoffs, but that's a team I think I'd be excited about, too, especially since I don't particularly want them to trade Sale or Q, I think Rodon could take the step forward we were hoping for this year to an elite pitcher, so then the 4 and 5 rotation spots and bullpen just need to be solidified so that they're not a dumpster fire that would take all the positive value away from the rest of the club.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 03:46 AM)
Probably that most people are done with the Avi experiment at this point and would take a pass on Avi 2.0 + clubhouse cancer

I think Avi Garcia is a fine talent and seems to be improving. He is not a problem in the clubhouse lie Puig has been reported being

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 05:54 AM)

Yasiel Puig

2013 fWAR: 4.1

2014 fWAR: 5.4

2015 fWAR: 1.5

2016 fWAR: 0.5

Avisail Garcia

2013 fWAR: -0.5

2014 fWAR: -0.4

2015 fWAR: -1.1

2016 fWAR: -0.2

Come on, just mentioning them in the same sentence is wrong. Sure, he has struggled this year, but he has had 10x the success in the majors than Avi has. And even if he is a big bust, who cares? The Sox have little to lose at this point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Yasiel Puig

2013 fWAR: 4.1

2014 fWAR: 5.4

2015 fWAR: 1.5

2016 fWAR: 0.5

Avisail Garcia

2013 fWAR: -0.5

2014 fWAR: -0.4

2015 fWAR: -1.1

2016 fWAR: -0.2

Come on, just mentioning them in the same sentence is wrong. Sure, he has struggled this year, but he has had 10x the success in the majors than Avi has. And even if he is a big bust, who cares? The Sox have little to lose at this point.

Go back and read what I wrote. He and Avi are very similar offensively at this point. Why is that inaccurate? Who cares what a guy did in 2013 in 2017? He's in AAA. He has to be a colossal bozo. Why would he suddenly thrive with the White Sox? And as I pointed out and you ignored, Avi is probably a non tender.

If Avi had Puig's defense, what would you say if the Sox gave him a 2 year $12 million extension, 2/3s of what is owed Puig?

Edited by Dick Allen