Sox in pursuit of Puig

Jose Abreu

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be happy with Puig if the Sox can get him and put hin in LF If not, perhaps a Josh Reddick.

I would sign Austin Jackson for Center and have Charlie Tilson platoon depending on RH/LH starters.

Eaton stays in RF

Frazier has to come back

Tim Anderson, obviously at SS

Saladino is my 2nd baseman and I trade Lawrie.

Abreu stays at first.

Narvaez is our starting catcher absent some trade.

DH is a tough call not knowing if Melky will be traded and whether Morneau even wants to come back.

The bullpen is a joke. The Sox have to DFA Albers and trade Robertson for anything they can get for him.

I would try to trade Lawrie, Robertson and Melky, DFA Albers and, Avi Garcia. Not sure if Shields will have trade value but f doesn't DFA him as well. He is just too erratic from start to start.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 12:36 AM)
^ If that scenario ends up being what management has recently called a decisive, clear direction to be established in the offseason I think I am done with this team until there is new ownership.

If the depth of your loyalty as a Sox fan is that shallow, it probably isn't worth being a Sox fan at all. If winning it all was the measure for fan loyalty over the past 100 years, there wouldn't be any cubz fans or for that matter, fans of many other teams in MLB.

There have been some positives this season so it isn't all doom and gloom for everyone.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)
If the depth of your loyalty as a Sox fan is that shallow, it probably isn't worth being a Sox fan at all. If winning it all was the measure for fan loyalty over the past 100 years, there wouldn't be any cubz fans or for that matter, fans of many other teams in MLB.

There have been some positives this season so it isn't all doom and gloom for everyone.

I am pretty sure that was his way of saying "that roster you just composed sucked and it's another example of the White Sox "going for it" in a half assed way"

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 04:16 AM)
I am pretty sure that was his way of saying "that roster you just composed sucked and it's another example of the White Sox "going for it" in a half assed way"

Nailed it. The only real upgrade in that lineup compared to this year is Puig/Reddick over Avi. And unless the team has serious financial constraints you can't trade Robertson. Make him a setup guy again and move Burdi to closer. Sign another setup guy to pair with Robertson and move Nate Jones to the 6th-7th inning. We have a lot of depth coming back in middle relief/long relief. How could we possibly trade Melky when he's been our best hitter this season?

I know I've suggested trading Robertson before but trading him and those other guys like Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie only makes sense if Sale and/or Q are being traded.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Nailed it. The only real upgrade in that lineup compared to this year is Puig/Reddick over Avi. And unless the team has serious financial constraints you can't trade Robertson. Make him a setup guy again and move Burdi to closer. Sign another setup guy to pair with Robertson and move Nate Jones to the 6th-7th inning. We have a lot of depth coming back in middle relief/long relief. How could we possibly trade Melky when he's been our best hitter this season?

I know I've suggested trading Robertson before but trading him and those other guys like Melky, Frazier, and Lawrie only makes sense if Sale and/or Q are being traded.

You're going to pay Robertson elite closer money to set up...for a guy 25 other teams passed on?

If Burdi was guaranteed elite, to be better even than Robertson, he should have gone in the top 3-5 picks. This idea of him just absolutely dominating from the get go like Jenks in 2005 is pretty far-fetched.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 12:06 AM)
I'd be happy with Puig if the Sox can get him and put hin in LF If not, perhaps a Josh Reddick.

I would sign Austin Jackson for Center and have Charlie Tilson platoon depending on RH/LH starters.

Eaton stays in RF

Frazier has to come back

Abreu stays at first.

DH is a tough call not knowing if Melky will be traded and whether Morneau even wants to come back.

The bullpen is a joke. The Sox have to DFA Albers and trade Robertson for anything they can get for him.

I would try to trade Lawrie, Robertson and Melky, DFA Albers and, Avi Garcia. Not sure if Shields will have trade value but f doesn't DFA him as well. He is just too erratic from start to start.

Lawrie got hurt after posting down numbers. He has no trade value. You have to play him next year and hope his value increases before the trade deadline. .

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Lawrie got hurt after posting down numbers. He has no trade value. You have to play him next year and hope his value increases before the trade deadline. .

Lawrie posted the numbers he always posts. Those numbers appealed to the astute team-builder Rick Hahn, but I doubt they appeal to many other GMs.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
Lawrie posted the numbers he always posts. Those numbers appealed to the astute team-builder Rick Hahn, but I doubt they appeal to many other GMs.

Plus you had the injuries.

That was at least worth a shot due to his impressive war numbers early in his career...and due to the low cost of acquisition.

Micah, Tyler, Carlos and Leury weren't capable of a 3 war season unlessyou combined them into one player.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)

You miss the real point, he mentioned ownership. I feel the same way. I'll take your use of "shallow" as extreme sarcasm.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)

Eaton stays in RF

Frazier has to come back

Abreu stays at first.

Soxtalk lesson #1: Posting your ideas on the direction the team should take or players to keep or trade will always get negative responses even though very few others express their opinions to be scoffed upon.

Personally I think what you said is fine because you only named 7 guys to keep around and only mentioned Narvaez absent a trade of some sort. That's less than 1/3 of the 25 man roster. That leaves 18 other spots to be filled and naming a few guys you'd keep and a few more you'd trade isn't some earth shattering revelation that needs to be called out.

I assume you want to keep Sale, Q and Rodon and would prefer keeping Morneau ? Need another legit BP arm and we'd be missing a closer. Just not sure what you expect to get back for Robertson , Melky and Lawrie or if your plan includes trading a big piece like Sale or Q.

I realize trying to do a complete plan you'd be called out even more and it's easy for those who want to rebuild to say trade your most desirable asset(s) for a s*** ton of talent . Constructive criticism seems to be a learned science that not many are capable.

Puig hit a HR today and got 2 walks. His bat speed and short swing still look good. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/199538722/do...e-run-home-run/

Quote from Puig : "I'm very happy with the opportunity my teammates have given me, very thankful for their support and it motivates me to do better on the field," he said. "When you do your job, everything works out better. When you prepare, when you're in the dugout. Those are the things I didn't do before and now I'm doing them."

Here's my offseason:

Trade Sale for the best possible package

Trade Quintana for the best possible package

Maybe trade Eaton, he'd gross a very nice package

Trade Abreu after his torrid August and September

Trade Melky for what may be a decenti-ish package

Trade Robertson for anything at all if it can help alleviate any salary constraints

More or less, I'm trading every player not on their rookie contact. I'm keeping Rodon, Anderson, Fulmer, filling the gaps with whoever they can for '17, winning about 8 games next year, and then come mid 2018, the payroll is nothing and all of the acquisitions from the aforementioned trades are ready to dominate the AL for the next decade straight. That, and a few players that was acquired for Sale and Q should theoretically be big league ready in '17

E.G.: the Chicago Cubs

And they didn't have a Sale/ Quintana like player to trade to build to what they've become the last two years.

That's the direction I'd like to see them take.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
The rumor still is that Braun and Puig will be flipped in the offseason.

Came within 20 minutes of it happening this time around.

Doesn't really make sense for the Dodgers. They don't need another highly paid often injured sort of not bad outfielder

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Doesn't really make sense for the Dodgers. They don't need another highly paid often injured sort of not bad outfielder

What else would Milwaukee be getting for Braun? I thought (but could be mistaken) that he was still a fan favorite in Milwaukee and that the owner liked him. Puig is rumored to be a horrible clubhouse teammate as well. Unless the Brewers are saving significant money and/or receiving 1-2 good prospects, what is the upside to making this trade for them?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)

Disagree. I think Braun would look great in LA next year. Ethier and Reddick will be gone. Braun can still rake, and he is very serviceable in LF. They can afford him. Look at his stats for this year. He hits, period.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 3, 2016 -> 06:36 PM)
You're going to pay Robertson elite closer money to set up...for a guy 25 other teams passed on?

If Burdi was guaranteed elite, to be better even than Robertson, he should have gone in the top 3-5 picks. This idea of him just absolutely dominating from the get go like Jenks in 2005 is pretty far-fetched.

24 teams passed on Mike Trout too. If Burdi is better, then he should close. Not saying he's going to be better but using the fact that 25 teams passed on him is irrelevant.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
Disagree. I think Braun would look great in LA next year. Ethier and Reddick will be gone. Braun can still rake, and he is very serviceable in LF. They can afford him. Look at his stats for this year. He hits, period.

I never said anything about him being unable to hit. How many games did he play last year? How many games is he probably gonna play this season?

(Hint: not enough, either season)

He is always injured. He needs to be a DH. I think open free agency will net both the Dodgers and Brewers a better get than a straight swap