Trade Deadline: Sox Make No Moves

Jose Abreu

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I feel like I'm experiencing an alternate reality or something. You guys are acting like this team is 20 games under .500 and has a bunch of pending free agents.

Again, I understand the opinion that the team should rebuild, but I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's unbelievable that they aren't selling. It's very believable. They didn't "blow" anything, they just made a different decision than you wanted.

When the GM says "this team is mired in mediocrity" and then doesn't do anything to fix it, then we have to assume that is acceptable to the White Sox.

Some of you read my posts and remember them. My stance was a month ago we needed to beat everybody to the punch, give up and trade a ton of players not named Sale, Q, Abreu, Anderson. After blowing that, I don't want us to trade today. We'd get fleeced. Make the trades this winter. This season is over. Just play out the string then trade, trade, trade this winter.

Anything can still happen around August 30th and in the off season but in my opinion if I had to bet, I'd bet the Sox are going to "go for it" yet again in 2017...just like they went for it in 2015 and 2016.

Rebuilding simply isn't in the DNA of this front office for whatever reason or reasons.

Now I'm sure the Sox realize that they are going to have to overcome some severe handicaps next year. To wit:

1. A poor free agent class.

2. Little depth on the major league roster. Trading pieces off it could open up more holes to fill.

3. Little depth in the minor league system to make deals. Same situation as the big league roster, they need to hoard the talent they have...not trade it.

4. Budget limitations whether self imposed or not.

That's a lot to overcome when realistically the Sox are going to have to fill black holes at catcher, center field, DH, at least two spots in the bullpen, three would be better and possibly a back end of the rotation starter.

All I can say is that would be a challenge for the best organizations.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)
I look forward to another year of a 3-5th place .500 team!
They haven't been above .500 since 2012. Six losing seasons in the last 9, probably going to be 7 in the last 10. A .500 team would look pretty good.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
This is true. Don't get be angry about Sale and Q, because it's possible Sox didn't get fair value for those players and properly held out. But all indications suggest they could have moved the guys you mentioned and gotten something of value for them and/or obtained payroll flexibility at the same time. Seriously, we could have unloaded Shields... Plugged Fulmer into the rotation next year and had roughly $25 million of payroll off the books for next year (Danks + Shields), which could be used to sign some positional talent.

They did make a move. The traded Duke for a possible CF'er for 2017. The kept a pretty solid club together and we have all winter for potential deals. You don't trade just for the sake of trades.

I think the Sox made the right decision in not trading Sale and/or Quintana at the deadline. I think the best time to trade them will be at the Winter Meetings because the upcoming pitching market is historically bad. At the Meetings the Sox can not only get fair value for Sale and Quintana but then some because a team will vastly overpay because of how bad the pitching market is.

I know that trades can still be made but I would have liked to see guys like Melky, Robertson and maybe NAte Jones all gone.

There is no way that the team is going to make the playoffs, so I was hoping that they would waive the white flag on the season. The Sox are playing for draft position now, let hope that they get back into the top ten

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
I think the Sox made the right decision in not trading Sale and/or Quintana at the deadline. I think the best time to trade them will be at the Winter Meetings because the upcoming pitching market is historically bad. At the Meetings the Sox can not only get fair value for Sale and Quintana but then some because a team will vastly overpay because of how bad the pitching market is.

I know that trades can still be made but I would have liked to see guys like Melky, Robertson and maybe NAte Jones all gone.

There is no way that the team is going to make the playoffs, so I was hoping that they would waive the white flag on the season. The Sox are playing for draft position now, let hope that they get back into the top ten

Add James Shields to that list

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
When the GM says "this team is mired in mediocrity" and then doesn't do anything to fix it, then we have to assume that is acceptable to the White Sox.

Bingo.

That directly is out of our GM's mouth. Their response in a market where teams are overpaying for relievers, aging outfielders, and mediocre to bad starters, is to trade one of their relievers for an underwhelming return, sending the message to the existing team you aren't good enough, but we will weaken you slightly more from the mediocre tag we just gave you.

It's spineless, directionless, and just straight incompetent.

Take a look at what teams like the Yankees and Brewers did. Organizations are just running circles around our front office.

This is the lowest I have felt about the Sox future in all the time I have been a fan.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I feel like I'm experiencing an alternate reality or something. You guys are acting like this team is 20 games under .500 and has a bunch of pending free agents.

Again, I understand the opinion that the team should rebuild, but I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's unbelievable that they aren't selling. It's very believable. They didn't "blow" anything, they just made a different decision than you wanted.

Not surprising, more confusing. They can make a decision that goes against the collective vision of the fanbase but what exactly is thier vision? Because I have no idea. Good luck trying to turn around a perpetually .500 team with zero minor league or financial resources without selling off ML assets. I'm f***ing bored.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)

There are maybe two contending teams that will look to add a starter and have strong enough farms. Since the price isn't changing, supposedly, we will wait all ofsseason for a team to pay it, while they find other options. Next deadline, when the Sox are below .500 again, we will watch it unfold again. It's like Groundhog Day, being a White Sox fan.

Edited by daggins