Jose Abreu

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
They have the off-season to show me something. They go into 2017 trying to compete with the same core, I'm out. For real. It just isn't worth the time and/or energy.

Agreed - It just seems like if you were going to do that, you should have started now, moving Robertson, Miguel, and Shields. I can live with holding on Frazier (thinking he has more to deliver and we'd be selling on the "lower" side now) and even to a lesser extent Melky (even though I'd have moved him now), but I have no basis for the other guys and then with Sale and Q, I think the off-season is the best time cause I prefer getting both a top young talent and top minor league talent (and to be frank, I think that is what Sale is worth). If we could have gotten Moncada and Benit+, then I'd have been game.

To put an upside / positive spin on this, the FA market is crap and none of Boston, Texas, or the Dodgers landed an ace, so they will all still be in the market for an ace in the off-season. But like they say on ESPN 1000, they can easily understand not moving Q / Sale, but don't understand why other guys weren't moved. Utter failure.

One of the things that annoys me about waiting, when you've already diagnosed that your team has an intractable issue with its talent is you are delaying the change in purpose for 6 more months. You are delayed in working with new players with a new system, you are delayed in changing the directives of our scouts and farm.

Dissappointed in the development, but all their pieces can be traded later.

If Sale and Q are out there in the offseason, chances are the are the #1 and #2 guys available. I have no idea what they could have brought back for Robertson, Melky, Frazier, etc. but apparently those guys are as bad as gamethreads say they are, so you can't expect anything interesting.

It's just disappointing, aside from a few brief moments of competence over the past several years (decade?) there's been little reason to believe in this club or its future beyond blind loyalty. I'm indifferent and more waiting isn't really gonna change that. Add a few more placeholders this offseason and go for it again next year with a solid core and no material reinforcements, sounds fun.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Hahn really didn't help himself with the "mired in mediocrity" thing, even if it was true. That comment opened a big yawning gap for criticism to flow into today.

So true. "We've identified the problem but we don't know how to solve it so we are just going to not do anything and hope it goes away"

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I agree with basically all of this. I was very intrigued to see what you could get back for the big guys, but always maintined the belief of the off-season plan, having more options open. I get that.

But no moves now, just getting smaller farm pieces back for spare parts. Why not? Is it because you are somehow still trying to compete? Do you think you are going "All-In" for 2017? What the hell is the plan? Why I am even trying to use logic when it comes to this front office? So many questions, so little answers.

We said it this past off-season too, where we never really put us in a real position to contend. We half ass things and there is no point in even trying to understand. Sad thing is, only real rationalization is they legitimately think they are wrong and this team is so much better, but man, how often are they "wrong" when they think this team can contend. It has proven it can't (unless Robin is really as awful as everyone on Soxtalk thinks).

I really thought when I was seeing things like the Chicago media pushing to sell, fan polls hitting 80%, that the front office felt it had cover to move forward.

But when you have nobody providing guidance except "I like to put forth winners, but not at all cost", then this is what you get. Not a winner. Not an up and comer. Just limbo.

I feel like I'm experiencing an alternate reality or something. You guys are acting like this team is 20 games under .500 and has a bunch of pending free agents.

Again, I understand the opinion that the team should rebuild, but I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's unbelievable that they aren't selling. It's very believable. They didn't "blow" anything, they just made a different decision than you wanted.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
One of the things that annoys me about waiting, when you've already diagnosed that your team has an intractable issue with its talent is you are delaying the change in purpose for 6 more months. You are delayed in working with new players with a new system, you are delayed in changing the directives of our scouts and farm.

There's also no better time to fleece a GM then when he's under pressure to make the playoffs. As others have said, Sale and Q staying put is extremely understandable, but not taking advantage of the market on ANY of our pitching besides Duke? Stupid. Also more than likely Melky will never have the value he does right now. He gets off to a slow start next year and Melky gets his full contract from JR and we will have never sniffed the playoffs with him. Amazing how many people seem to be in denial of the how bad this team actually is

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I feel like I'm experiencing an alternate reality or something. You guys are acting like this team is 20 games under .500 and has a bunch of pending free agents.

Again, I understand the opinion that the team should rebuild, but I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's unbelievable that they aren't selling. It's very believable. They didn't "blow" anything, they just made a different decision than you wanted.

Duke trade seems really odd in retrospect.

It's the same bad decision they've been making for years, though, and it never works out!

Because we all have years of history on our side to tell us that this plan isn't going to work, I mean it's really that simple at this point.