Puig is getting moved

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
Is he worth paying $8M in 2017 and $9M in 2018? A bit of a gamble. Not sure I'd even put in a claim.

I would. Guy has came back from injury and has been raking since June 21st. I still say the talent is absolutely worth the risk.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
Wonder if a Robertson/Puig swap would make sense for both teams? Makes taking the risk with Puig's contract easier, and the Dodgers could use Robertson. No idea if either would clear waivers though.

Shields will get through.

Maybe Melky.

Robertson likely wouldn't.

hasn't puig been hurt a lot, which might explain his struggles?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:56 PM)
Shields will get through.

Maybe Melky.

Robertson likely wouldn't.

hasn't puig been hurt a lot, which might explain his struggles?

Thing about waivers is that you can deal guys to the team that claims them.

This is ridiculous. The Dodgers are sending Puig down to the minors. But they didn't trade him at the deadline? Geez, they must have tried to rob the White Sox. When you HATE a player, just trade him, Dodgers. He may suck this season but he shouldn't be in the minors. He's a big league player.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Do you really think a basket case would mix in the haven for mental midgets?

The Sox don't seem like a place to reform problem players.

As if it would really matter... How could this team get worse by having another subordinate personality on board?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
I'd take a flyer on Puig. I thought a Shields - Puig swap made some sense.

The only reason I'd consider doing this would be the salary. If the Dodgers want Saladino or somebody cheap for Puig, forget it.

And even then, Puig appears to be a clubhouse cancer and his declining offensive stats (currently a .700 OPS) make me lean towards passing.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:50 PM)
Yeah over the past 30 games he's hitting .301 with an .800 ops.

You can slice and dice it a lot of different ways. Over the past 28 days, he's hitting .255 with an .674 OPS, and has only started twice in the past two weeks.

If he was raking it right now, they probably wouldn't have cut his AB's and then demoted him, attitude issues aside.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
He does. It's also possible they put him on waivers hoping someone claims him giving the Dodgers the option to just let his contract go to the claiming team.

This. He will get put on waivers in August, probably very quickly. Everyone gets put on waivers.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
He'll be put on waivers, but if you put in a claim, they may just give him to you at this point.

I wonder if the Sox were trying to work a deal for some small piece in exchange for LA eating some of his salary. That's my best guess.

I would scoop him off waivers in a second. Maybe he's in the same boat as Abreu and has been figured out, but at age 26, I'll easily take a chance at 2 year, $17.5 million. That's not much in today's game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
I would scoop him off waivers in a second. Maybe he's in the same boat as Abreu and has been figured out, but at age 26, I'll easily take a chance at 2 year, $17.5 million. That's not much in today's game.

This. It is very unlikely he makes it to the Sox.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
He'll be put on waivers, but if you put in a claim, they may just give him to you at this point.

This is probably correct. The Dodgers are probably more interested in dumping his remaining contract than trying to get something useful in return.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
This is probably correct. The Dodgers are probably more interested in dumping his remaining contract than trying to get something useful in return.

If that was the case he would be on the White Sox now. Multiple reports said the Sox were pursuing him, and if the Dodgers wanted nothing of value in return a deal would have gotten done.