Puig is getting moved

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
If that was the case he would be on the White Sox now. Multiple reports said the Sox were pursuing him, and if the Dodgers wanted nothing of value in return a deal would have gotten done.

There were also reports Monday saying they were not interested so I'm going with that was actually correct.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
at this point the Dodgers have completely devalued him, so they probably just want to get rid of him whatever way they can

That's why I'm surprised they didn't trade him. If eating his contract meant more value, then do it. Now he'll be claimed by someone IMO. When is this process beginning?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
That's why I'm surprised they didn't trade him.

I'm sure they tried.

They'll try again in waivers and see if someone will just grab him. He's owed $30 million.

If that doesn't work (and it likely won't), they'll do a giveaway and eat 2/3 of the contract.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
I'm sure they tried.

They'll try again in waivers and see if someone will just grab him. He's owed $30 million.

If that doesn't work (and it likely won't), they'll do a giveaway and eat 2/3 of the contract.

He's only owed $17.5 million plus the remainder due this year. If put on waivers, somebody will claim him.

The Dodgers putting out "false stories" about him going crazy in the clubhouse when it didn't even happen...just doesn't make any sense to sabotage the value of your own player.

The source was solid enough a few of the national baseball beat writers picked it up and had to apologize to Puig and Adam Katz (agent).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
The Dodgers putting out "false stories" about him going crazy in the clubhouse when it didn't even happen...just doesn't make any sense to sabotage the value of your own player.

The source was solid enough a few of the national baseball beat writers picked it up and had to apologize to Puig and Adam Katz (agent).

My guess is that a teammate leaked the false story. Puig has a history of not getting along with people, which is one reason why I don't want to see him in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)

I feel like the "false stories" are actually what happened and everything since has been damage control.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
I feel like the "false stories" are actually what happened and everything since has been damage control.

Yep. A combustible guy w a huge ego gets demoted and with the utmost tact and professionalism, quietly packs up, tips the clubhouse guys, doesnt tear up any jerseys and heads off on a coach bus to AAA. That's likely.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Puig's OPS is about .030 better than Avi's. The Dodgers are going to have to eat some cash or take on some unwanted contract to move him.

He has an .800 OPS over his last 30 games, has shown signs of being really good, and is a better defender than Avi.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
He has an .800 OPS over his last 30 games, has shown signs of being really good, and is a better defender than Avi.

Didn't say he wasn't better than Avi, but his numbers have declined every season, has a bad reputation in the clubhouse and off the field, and is owed a nice chunk of change. I think the Dodgers would take nothing but eating the contract.

BTW, Avi has had 30 game stretches of .800+ OPS as well.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
LOL. career .830 vs .690

This year, different story. It is nice he was great a few years ago, but teams won't pay for that now. And he is owed a lot more than the Sox owe Avi.

He is so great he is in AAA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Didn't say he wasn't better than Avi, but his numbers have declined every season, has a bad reputation in the clubhouse and off the field, and is owed a nice chunk of change. I think the Dodgers would take nothing but eating the contract.

BTW, Avi has had 30 game stretches of .800+ OPS as well.

Sure, of course that same amount of money owed to Shields won't be a hindrance at all this offseason.

Then it it will the fair, going rate for a 4th/5th starter, just like Danks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
Sure, of course that same amount of money owed to Shields won't be a hindrance at all this offseason.

Then it it will the fair, going rate for a 4th/5th starter, just like Danks.

What? You're unraveling like Trump.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'll take Puig f*** it. He has a lot better talent and potential than Avi. I hope the Sox claim him when he's on waivers but I don't think a team will let him get to the Sox. I think a team with a higher priority will claim him like Oakland.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
This year, different story. It is nice he was great a few years ago, but teams won't pay for that now. And he is owed a lot more than the Sox owe Avi.

He is so great he is in AAA.

Since coming off the DL, back in June, he's put up a > .300 average and a damn good OPS. I'm not going to write-off two years of success and all the tools. Oh and he can actually play some D whereas Avi is one of the worst defensive outfielders in the majors.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
Since coming off the DL, back in June, he's put up a > .300 average and a damn good OPS. I'm not going to write-off two years of success and all the tools. Oh and he can actually play some D whereas Avi is one of the worst defensive outfielders in the majors.

That's fine. Avi had a OPS over .800 and was hitting over .300 his first 58 games of 2015. And again, I never said Avi was better than him. Puig is obviously better, but he's owed over $17 million after this year, and the trend as been going in the wrong direction. If he's doing so great, why is he in AAA? There are obviously some issues. I have a hard time believing the Dodgers are not going to have to eat some of that contract if they want to trade him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
That's fine. Avi had a OPS over .800 and was hitting over .300 his first 58 games of 2015. And again, I never said Avi was better than him. Puig is obviously better, but he's owed over $17 million after this year, and the trend as been going in the wrong direction. If he's doing so great, why is he in AAA? There are obviously some issues. I have a hard time believing the Dodgers are not going to have to eat some of that contract if they want to trade him.

The Dodgers also gave up some good minor league talent to get Reddick to replace Puig (to be fair, they also got Hill). That tells me that the Dodgers don't think much of Puig at this point.