Why watch / listen / care?

Lip Man 1

Thought this deserved its own thread for discussion purposes.

Why watch / listen / care the final two months especially since an influx of young talent isn't coming in and these guys are out of the pennant race?

I'm curious to read what others think.

I can think of only two possible reasons:

1. Chris Sale - Can he win 20 games, can he win the Cy Young. A month ago I would have said both are slam dunk's...now? I don't know.

2. Can the Sox finish with a winning season for the first time since 2012? Three under right now and another tough stretch of games coming up. I don't think they can. In fact they may win fewer games then in 2015 when all is said and done. I think they'll finish six to eight under. Fourth straight losing year and seventh in the last 10.

So...why watch / listen / care?

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)

Why watch / listen / care the final two months especially since an influx of young talent isn't coming in and these guys are out of the pennant race?

1. Chris Sale - Can he win 20 games, can he win the Cy Young. A month ago I would have said both are slam dunk's...now? I don't know.

2. Can the Sox finish with a winning season for the first time since 2013? Three under right now and another tough stretch of games coming up. I don't think they can. In fact they may win fewer games then in 2015 when all is said and done. I think they'll finish six to eight under. Fourth straight losing year and seventh in the last 10.

Mark

If you have to question it, then don't watch, don't listen and don't care. Do yourself a favor,

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)

2. Can the Sox finish with a winning season for the first time since 2013? Three under right now and another tough stretch of games coming up. I don't think they can. In fact they may win fewer games then in 2015 when all is said and done. I think they'll finish six to eight under. Fourth straight losing year and seventh in the last 10.

Mark

I give two s***s whether Sale wins 20 or not.

I'd like to see the Sox win every game from here on out. But since they're not likely to even play over .500 the rest of the way, I'll be watching with interest to see Tilson play. I hope he turns into something good. Otherwise I'll probably lose interest if he proves to be another one of the Sox misevaluations.

Like many of my favorite sports teams over the year that have been god awful...

I WISH I could not care... but it's not possible.

There was about 5 years there where when the Sox started sucking I could tune them out and not even pay attention anymore.

But I can't these days... which makes things pretty painful...

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
1. Rodon's development

2. Anderson's development

3. Tilson- see if he can play ball

4. Sale starts

This all I'm really paying attention to the rest of the way. May not go to another game.

Yes. Maybe we all need to look at this year as the preseason to next year. We have some great pieces and need to spend the rest of the year seeing which of our homegrown guys can secure positions for next year. The pitching staff for next year looks damn good. If Tilson can man CF adequately, then Hahn needs to sign Cespedes no excuses and slide Melky to DH. Catcher I dunno.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)

Mark

Another August and September of meaningless baseball on the South Side of Chicago. Becoming a reoccurring theme under the Hahn/RV regime unfortunately.

I think Sale will get shut down around September 1st. No use putting unnecessary innings on an arm that the Sox are gonna need for the 2017 push!

I don't see anyway that this Sox team finishes above 500. Way too many division games in the next two months. Another top ten pick is in the best long term interests of this franchise anyway.

Because I love white sox baseball, and it's how I fill my summer evenings. If they continue to fall further, I will probably watch less, but I'll always turn the game on when I'm at home with nothing better to do.

While obviously a long shot, id love to see the Sox get hot and make things interesting. A 15-5 stretch and they may be back within spitting distance. Is that gonna happen? More than likely not, but ya never know. I always root for Sox wins - nothing else interests me all that much until CBB season starts.

I get that some fans and frustrated and don't want to watch / support the sox anymore. I get it. But no reason to try to convince other fans not to follow their favorite team. You do you.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
I look forward to the manager search and seeing what direction this team decides to go in in the offseason.

That one is probably predictable. A new manager should be able to pick his own staff. I'm also tired of former Sox players being used. Maybe we can do a Kickstarter to have LaRussa come out of retirement.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
That one is probably predictable. A new manager should be able to pick his own staff. I'm also tired of former Sox players being used. Maybe we can do a Kickstarter to have LaRussa come out of retirement.

Not sure if you're joking, but LaRussa is A. Not Retired and B. Currently part of a group dedicated to destroying the AZ Diamondbacks.

Like, every time I feel that being a White Sox fan is a never ending dance with misery, I remember the Dbacks exist and it could be worse.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
Another August and September of meaningless baseball on the South Side of Chicago. Becoming a reoccurring theme under the Hahn/RV regime unfortunately.

I think Sale will get shut down around September 1st. No use putting unnecessary innings on an arm that the Sox are gonna need for the 2017 push!

I don't see anyway that this Sox team finishes above 500. Way too many division games in the next two months. Another top ten pick is in the best long term interests of this franchise anyway.

I never like this idea. Taking away athletes from competing is wrong. It can backfire. How many organizations have done this? I call it the Strasburg syndrome. Resting NFL starters in the final game of the season doesn't always work out.

I think it is the worst idea in professional sports.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)

Mark

certain posters would remind you that you're obligated to care/support the team no matter what, then question your legitimacy as a fan if you object

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)

No you don't shutdown guys. Have to build the his durability if you want him to be able to pitch in October.