Why watch / listen / care?

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:18 AM)
Sure you got to love baseball. The alternative? You like the Chicago winters? The KC winters? The wind and the freezing cold? The ice storms? This is way better than fricking winter. (I do realize last winter was mild but still ...).

Always manage to bring up KC somehow.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
Because I love white sox baseball, and it's how I fill my summer evenings. If they continue to fall further, I will probably watch less, but I'll always turn the game on when I'm at home with nothing better to do.

While obviously a long shot, id love to see the Sox get hot and make things interesting. A 15-5 stretch and they may be back within spitting distance. Is that gonna happen? More than likely not, but ya never know. I always root for Sox wins - nothing else interests me all that much until CBB season starts.

I get that some fans and frustrated and don't want to watch / support the sox anymore. I get it. But no reason to try to convince other fans not to follow their favorite team. You do you.

Love this post. This is why we watch--it's what we do. If the only reason you watch is to see if they will win the World Series, you're likely looking at some time off! But for a lot of people, White Sox baseball is summer is White Sox baseball. From childhood to this very moment, we live on with this team. It's like meal time...you don't stop eating after you get food poisoning. You get mad, you get rattled, you get better and you start eating again. Hence White Sox baseball. Do I like what they do all the time? No! Do I get mad? ABSOLUTELY! Yesterday was tough to swallow because it was a golden opportunity to improve the outlook. But whether management is clueless, and whether the Sox win or lose doesn't deter me from watching the games. It's a part of my grind.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:14 PM)
Southside:

I simply was curious how others felt. That's all pure and simple.

As others have posted in the past there's no need to offer snarky reply's to honest questions. That's simply common courtesy. We're not in grade school anymore playing a game of who can cut somebody up better right?

There was no ulterior motive on my part. Period.

Is that so hard to understand? And if anyone assumes there was I'll get pissed off. I know what my intentions were... nobody else.

Mark

Considering you put down only 2 possible reasons to watch, you are obviously trying to backpedal.

Frankly, I think you like to complain about the White Sox or any of their personnel rather than cheer them.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:07 AM)
If the season ended today they'd have the 12th pick next draft. Watch / Listen / Care in hopes they lose every game from here on out - hoping that they draft well in 2017. Hoping that such a disappointing year would force Jerry to clean house.

Root for the young guys, hope that they develop. Hope that the new guard goes into the offseason and makes good trades to right the ship.

That's as sound of an argument as I can come up with logically.

Emotionally, I will ALWAYS be a white sox fan who watches, listens, and cares because it is in my DNA. For better or for worse.

Edit: poop.

Man, when you spell it out like that, that's a lot of things that have to go right.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
if you enjoy baseball and the White Sox you watch.

You always watch.

It's what you do.

But for individual reasons?

Is Tilson a legit prospect?

Can Anderson learn to manage the strike zone?

Will Rodon turn it around?

Is Fulmer going to figure it out or need more seasoning?

Will Abreu become Abreu again?

Is Lawrie a useful piece?

Plenty of reasons to stay tuned.

I love baseball. It's in my blood so much I even coach high school ball. I became a WS fan years ago. With that said, I watch the games whenever I can. I use to do my chores around the games but not as much anymore. Their losing playing makes me pause as to why I spend so much time watching players who get paid tons of money and can't even hit the damn ball or hustle. Or the Sox sign players who magically forget how to play good baseball.

Just the other night, I saw the other team's runner steal 2nd and score all on the same play. Why? Because the CF for the Sox did not charge to back up the throw, Anderson made a half asses attempt to block the bad throw and the catcher also made a half assed attempt to tag the runner. The ball popped out of his glove. If he had done it correctly, you catch the ball and cover with your other hand to prevent the ball from popping out. These little things add up to big things and have not been addressed for years.

Last night Saladino was playing 2nd and just needed to knock the ball down to his left, pick up the ball and throw to 1st to get the out. He made a half attempt to do so and it resulted in 2 runs scoring.

It's this kind of lazy play that allows me to get more chores done.

And the front office wants to know why we fans don't come out and pay hard earned money to see games? Why pay when I can see it on tv for free with beer costing less than half.

In my 40 years or so of following the Sox, by some posters arguments, I should have paid attention maybe 6 or 7 of those seasons. I love baseball. I have watched every level from T-ball to World Series. On the pro side from independent ball all through the MiLB. On a bad year, the level of play at a MLB game is the best in the world. It doesn't matter who is playing. Two MLB teams will produce the best baseball anywhere.

Currently more than a third of the teams have a worst record than the Sox. Should fans in those cities stop attending games? How about all the teams that will not make the playoffs? What kind of a league would be have if fans stopped attending games or watching on TV?

I guess the question becomes, can you support MLB and not support a specific team somehow?

Tex,

As I said above, I love baseball. I even sometimes watch other teams on tv who I don't even care who wins or loses. What pains me the most though is the lack of heart that seems to be present on the WS. I don't see good fundamental baseball from not backing up, poor base running and lack of hustle on even routine grounders. I can live with the loses if I see them playing to win but just fall short in the runs column. I also said I am a coach. One thing I always tell my players is if you can go home and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you played with 100% effort today, you had a good day. I tell them to play hard for all 42 outs (7 innings in high school) and the wins will come. Not all the time but they will come more times if the effort is there.

I just don't see 100% effort from all the players who get paid a lot of money to play a kid's game.

Why?

1) baseball is the only sport I follow these days and the SOX have been my favorite since I was a kid so I just don't know any other way.

2) it's f***ing baseball, man!

3) still looking forward to seeing if Frazier can eclipse 40HR.

3) the development of youngsters like Anderson, Tilsen and Saladino.

4) hoping to see Abreu rebound enough to replenish some value and traded this winter.

5) hoping to see more of Frazier at 1B.

6) having fun watching Eaton have such a good year.

7) watching Q and Sale pitch.

8) Gonzalez has been a pleasant surprise and nice story to follow.

9) hoping to see Rodon rebound some the rest of the season.

10) curious to see what happens with Fulmer the rest of the season.

It's been a rough year no doubt but I'm just doing my best to enjoy what little I can because I'll be missing baseball when the season is over. :gosox1:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
Why?

1) baseball is the only sport I follow these days and the SOX have been my favorite since I was a kid so I just don't know any other way.

2) it's f***ing baseball, man!

3) still looking forward to seeing if Frazier can eclipse 40HR.

3) the development of youngsters like Anderson, Tilsen and Saladino.

4) hoping to see Abreu rebound enough to replenish some value and traded this winter.

5) hoping to see more of Frazier at 1B.

6) having fun watching Eaton have such a good year.

7) watching Q and Sale pitch.

8) Gonzalez has been a pleasant surprise and nice story to follow.

9) hoping to see Rodon rebound some the rest of the season.

10) curious to see what happens with Fulmer the rest of the season.

It's been a rough year no doubt but I'm just doing my best to enjoy what little I can because I'll be missing baseball when the season is over. :gosox1:

Yeah all these are good reasons to tune in. I just don't really make time to watch them. If I have nothing to do and I'm home and don't feel like watching a TV show or movie or playing a videogame on a weeknight, I watch. Not how it is when a fresh season starts and you get to watch the sport you've been missing the past few months.

Edited by soxfan2014

I really wish the Sox had found a way to move Shields and Lawrie or Frazier at the deadline. Ranaudo & Saladino deserve looks and they could have gotton two months of regular playing time had we just cleared spots for them. For a organization completely devoid of young, major league ready talent, here's two guys that will essentially rot in AAA and our bench. Neither are close to sure things by any means, but they would have been a lot more fun to watch than the veterans in their place.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
I really wish the Sox had found a way to move Shields and Lawrie or Frazier at the deadline. Ranaudo & Saladino deserve looks and they could have gotton two months of regular playing time had we just cleared spots for them. For a organization completely devoid of young, major league ready talent, here's two guys that will essentially rot in AAA and our bench. Neither are close to sure things by any means, but they would have been a lot more fun to watch than the veterans in their place.

They have a month to get these guys through waivers, it isnt over yet

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
Yeah all these are good reasons to tune in. I just don't really make time to watch them. If I have nothing to do and I'm home and don't feel like watching a TV show or movie or playing a videogame on a weeknight, I watch. Not how it is when a fresh season starts and you get to watch the sport you've been missing the past few months.

I don't blame ya one bit. The Sox brand of baseball is definitely not a good one so its easy to see why some folks have to put it down and walk away for a while. Kind of like those nights when Rodon is walking everyone or Shields getting lit so bad that the bat boy wanted a piece of Shields that night. Sometimes ya just got to walk away from it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Frazier and Lawrie would never clear. Shields I believe would.

That isnt necessarily true, every season players surprisingly sneak through and get moved. And who knows, maybe one gets claimed and the Sox are like "well, ok. Take him." Not likely, but could happen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
That isnt necessarily true, every season players surprisingly sneak through and get moved. And who knows, maybe one gets claimed and the Sox are like "well, ok. Take him." Not likely, but could happen

Frazier doesn't make a lot of money. He'd definitely be claimed. A contender or team looking to contend next year can place a claim.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Coach @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
Tex,

As I said above, I love baseball. I even sometimes watch other teams on tv who I don't even care who wins or loses. What pains me the most though is the lack of heart that seems to be present on the WS. I don't see good fundamental baseball from not backing up, poor base running and lack of hustle on even routine grounders. I can live with the loses if I see them playing to win but just fall short in the runs column. I also said I am a coach. One thing I always tell my players is if you can go home and look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you played with 100% effort today, you had a good day. I tell them to play hard for all 42 outs (7 innings in high school) and the wins will come. Not all the time but they will come more times if the effort is there.

I just don't see 100% effort from all the players who get paid a lot of money to play a kid's game.

39 if the home team is winning.

Do you notice as a coach you become more sensitive to different things. Effort is one of those.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Frazier doesn't make a lot of money. He'd definitely be claimed. A contender or team looking to contend next year can place a claim.

I could see a NL team picking him up. This is his first year facing AL pitching. It would be interesting how his stats fare when the Sox play an NL team.