2016 Rio Olympics Thread

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
There's no changing it, I get it. But it still sucks to learn about it at 3pm or whatever.

Thank you. Ridiculous. When walking dead happens, stuff has "spoiler" alerts blocking stuff. Can we at least get that. #Gagelash# 2016

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
The production value NBC added to the whole thing was awesome too (the other day with the staredown, etc). Just awesome stuff. Phelp's is a beast. I hope he finishes out these olympics strong, but man, Ladecky is something else too. So is that Hungarian female swimmer from USC (total beastmode dominator).

Loved the US girl taking out the roided Russian two nights ago too :)

And women's gymnastics team, holy hell are they good. I can't think of a time where I ever saw a team make everything look so easy and dominant. It literally looked like they had the staples "easy" button. Then you see other teams go and realize oh, it isn't so easy.

She is from Evansville IN, and goes to IU.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
in more "i cant believe this s*** is really happening" news, the algae bloom has spread from the diving pool to the water polo pool.

And they are saying that its no biggie, wont cause anyone harm.

Sure it wont. WOW LOL

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
in more "i cant believe this s*** is really happening" news, the algae bloom has spread from the diving pool to the water polo pool.

Why is the water green? I don't understand.

I can't believe all the crabby people on Twitter criticizing Gabrielle Douglas for not placing her hand on her heart during the anthem. WTF. She was not disrespectful at all. Not everybody does the hand on heart thing during the anthem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 12:34 AM)
Why is the water green? I don't understand.

I can't believe all the crabby people on Twitter criticizing Gabrielle Douglas for not placing her hand on her heart during the anthem. WTF. She was not disrespectful at all. Not everybody does the hand on heart thing during the anthem.

http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-olympic-po...-doe-1785118070

basically an algae bloom caused by a lack of competence

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 02:14 AM)
Phelps is just absolutely unreal. There just aren't any more superlatives that can be said about that guy

I was going to say ... is Michael Phelps either a.) the greatest athlete of all time (22 golds) or b.) at least the MOST CONSISTENT athlete of all time. Does he ever f*** up? Does he ever have a bad race? Think of the guys like RyanLochte who have had to compete against Michael Phelps. Phelps is fracking amazing.

Also ... USA gymnasts take a bow. The never make mistakes. Finally Simone lost her balance for 1/100th of a second it seemed on the balance beam. I never see one mistake from any of our gymnasts in floor exercise. Other countries are flying out of bounds; not USA. They are perfect almost.

Also will our beach volleyball team win? They seem pretty damn good.

I totally thought Phelps wasn't qualifying in the 100 fly. Can't wait for that final. His performance in the IM was absurd. Wish Lochte could have delivered silver. Hell of a career for Lochte if he doesn't make it back to another Olympics (I presume he won't, but I suppose you never know). And was this the most dominating gymnastics team in US history? Or was the rest of the field not as good? I felt like they utterly dominated and they even had some atypical mistakes and still dominated 1/2.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
I totally thought Phelps wasn't qualifying in the 100 fly. Can't wait for that final. His performance in the IM was absurd. Wish Lochte could have delivered silver. Hell of a career for Lochte if he doesn't make it back to another Olympics (I presume he won't, but I suppose you never know). And was this the most dominating gymnastics team in US history? Or was the rest of the field not as good? I felt like they utterly dominated and they even had some atypical mistakes and still dominated 1/2.

They are that dominant. They have something like the top 3-4 All around gymnasts in the world on their roster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)

The story of winning the gold by a combined margin greater than the champions from 1980 - 2012 combined is astounding...however didn't the score system change which kind of makes that comparison apples to oranges to a degree.

Also has the attempted maneuvers in gymnastics become so great that errors are expected if yo uwnatot compete back in teh olden days there seemed to be less errors but I also assume the routines are much greater.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
The story of winning the gold by a combined margin greater than the champions from 1980 - 2012 combined is astounding...however didn't the score system change which kind of makes that comparison apples to oranges to a degree.

Also has the attempted maneuvers in gymnastics become so great that errors are expected if yo uwnatot compete back in teh olden days there seemed to be less errors but I also assume the routines are much greater.

Yeah scoring changes are big deal plus there's only 5 vs ... I can't remember like 8 back 2008?

Though it seemed like US made some errors, other teams had a lot more falls. China/Russia are good, but, really strange not seeing teams like romania any more.