2016 Rio Olympics Thread

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how the USA is always so terrible at passing the baton. At least they didn't drop it this year but they cost themselves a bunch of time with their passes. It obviously almost certainly doesn't matter with Jamaica having Bolt at the end but they could have made it close.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
I don't understand how the USA is always so terrible at passing the baton. At least they didn't drop it this year but they cost themselves a bunch of time with their passes. It obviously almost certainly doesn't matter with Jamaica having Bolt at the end but they could have made it close.

The baton passing is why a team like Japan can win the silver. They have no superstar sprinters but they are so smooth at the transitions. The US, not so much.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 09:41 PM)
I can't believe the Olympics are already over, so quick. I wish the US cared at all about the non major four sports. They are entertaining to watch but even the track world championships get zero publicity in the states.

I'm thinking they shouldn't do swimming and gymnastics in the same timeframe.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm thinking they shouldn't do swimming and gymnastics in the same timeframe.

One of the events needs to happen during the MLB All Star Break, that's the one week where there are no major pro or college sports going on, those sports dominate this country too much.

Man, Lochte got charged. He could face 18 months in a Brazilian prison. We wouldn't be mean enough to extradite him would we? He didn't harm anybody. No way our government should make him go over there to serve his debt. I mean if he hurt somebody, yeah, but cmon. Send $10,000 bucks more over there for damages and an apology.

Lochte cost himself huge sponsorship money for one night of drinking. People make mistakes. He made a big one.

Here are my quick takes on the enjoyment of the Games. Please list your comments.

Basketball: USA women always massacre the opposition. A plus. Men had some close games but the last game was a thing of beauty so the USA gets an A.

Beach volleyball: The USA women were great sports and did a fine job. Hard to win on Brazilian sand against Brazil. I'll give them a B-plus for getting the bronze.

Gymnastics women: Simone Biles is flawless gymnast. A plus. Whole team gets an A for winning team gold.

Diving: Boring event. D.

Swimming: Phelps is a beast. he gets a solid A. Lochte gets a B for his performance in the pool. Ladecki gets an A plus.

Track: USA always does well. A solid A for Team USA. Bolt however gets an A-plus as one of the most dominant athletes in history.

Can't think of any other sports.

NBC: Too many commercials. D.

Late night show with Ryan Secrest: Pretty upbeat. B. But too many commercials.

Bob Costas: B. He's pretty solid.

GO USA!

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Lochte gets a 10 month suspension, loss of his gold medal bonus, and won't swim at the championships next July. The other swimmers are getting a four month suspension.

I wouldn't be caught dead watching Dancing with the Stars but would watch if he got voted off first.

• 11 months later...

I guess the biggest surprise here is that with a Daley at the helm, Chicago couldn't manage to out-bribe Rio.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/world/am...on.html?mcubz=1

In a statement, prosecutors said they had “vast documentation and robust evidence” that Brazilian officials bribed a former president of the International Association of Athletics Federations, Lamine Diack.

They said that Mr. Soares, at the behest of Mr. Cabral, deposited $2 million in bank accounts belonging to Mr. Diack’s son just three days before the vote to decide which city would host the 2016 Games.Ms. Schneider said Mr. Nuzman was “greasing the wheels to organize the payment of bribes from Cabral directly to African members of the I.O.C., which was done via Arthur Soares.” She said Mr. Diack was “influential” with those African members.

“The Olympic Games,” Ms. Schneider added, “were then used as a trampoline to commit Olympic-size acts of corruption, in civil engineering, in infrastructure projects, in the metro.”

The warrants executed Tuesday grew out of an earlier investigation involving Mr. Diack.