Tilson Recovering Well From Surgery

shysocks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
Iy is just a crying shame for this kid and for Matt Davidson and K Smith. You never know if player can come back from those types of injuries, but to say we need to blow up the team because of injuries is a bit much

I'm not saying to blow it up because a bunch of rookies got hurt. But these injuries point out a very bare minor league system. There are a lot of problems within this organization that are finally showing face this season. Depth is just one of them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
I mean... this season...

Start 23-10. Collapse on the field, and 4 - count them 4 - position players make their White Sox MLB debuts and get hurt THAT DAY. Two won't return this year.

The curse of Drake LaRoche.

I prefer to call it the Curse of the Taiwanese Whorehouse

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
I prefer to call it the Curse of the Taiwanese Whorehouse

If we scripted this Hollywood-style, the movie would now take a turn where a few of the Sox players leave the team to go to Taiwan (or was it Vietnam?), looking for some Oracle and obtaining a McGuffin object that, when brought back to the clubhouse, will lead to winning baseball games. Freeing some indentured prostitutes along the way seems like a side bonus, but in the end the players realize that was what really mattered.

Someone pay me my money for this script.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 3, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
I saw the 15 day ankle s*** this morning and was shocked. This makes way more sense.

Ptatc- paging Dr. ptatc

Sorry, been out of town visiting colleges with my daughter.

Its never good having to do surgery for soft tissue injuries. One doctor I worked with described it as tying two pieces of spaghetti together.

It doesn't bode well for a player who relies on speed for his game.

He'll be ready for spring training but it's anyone's guess as to how well he'll be able to run and stay healthy again.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)

Its never good having to do surgery for soft tissue injuries. One doctor I worked with described it as tying two pieces of spaghetti together.

He'll be ready for spring training but it's anyone's guess as to how well he'll be able to run and stay healthy again.

Thanks mate and hope your travels went well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)

Welp that's a somber reality.

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Wow the thread title made me think he was out for another year with another surgery. Glad he's progressing well.

Yes, that's really good news. It will be interesting to see when and how the running goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tilson play. I really like him as the return for a Zach Duke. If we disregard the injuries which are becoming something of a pattern for him, he's relatively low risk in that there's little doubt that you have a reserve MLBer on your hands who can run and field.

One of the reasons I see some upside is because he (more or less) never repeated a minor league level. Sometimes you don't really get to know what a player can be until you see him get settled in at a level. Maybe he's a guy who tops out during his first season at a new level and the roughly average-for-level production he has posted at every stop is all he can do at any level. But we just don't know. Since he clearly has a good hit tool and some ability to take walks, all he needs to develop into a productive hitter is just a smidgen of power. I think his physical tools dictate that he's not going to surprise us with an Eaton-esque power surge, but in the minors he's been more like Chris Getz in terms of extra base hitting. He only has to find the gaps here and there to start brushing up to an .800 type of OPS.

Of course, if you told me the guy is going to be a decent CF with baserunning value and will carry a .700-.750 OPS, that's a nice player, too. But as we all know, players who were consistent in the minors don't always make the MLB leap as smoothly. His injuries are also a problem and might cause us to never really know what he could have been. Normally, Tilson isn't the kind of guy you're going to try and set aside a MLB position to get a look at, but the Sox are in a spot where he's the best option so we'll get to know him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm looking forward to seeing Tilson play. I really like him as the return for a Zach Duke. If we disregard the injuries which are becoming something of a pattern for him, he's relatively low risk in that there's little doubt that you have a reserve MLBer on your hands who can run and field.

One of the reasons I see some upside is because he (more or less) never repeated a minor league level. Sometimes you don't really get to know what a player can be until you see him get settled in at a level. Maybe he's a guy who tops out during his first season at a new level and the roughly average-for-level production he has posted at every stop is all he can do at any level. But we just don't know. Since he clearly has a good hit tool and some ability to take walks, all he needs to develop into a productive hitter is just a smidgen of power. I think his physical tools dictate that he's not going to surprise us with an Eaton-esque power surge, but in the minors he's been more like Chris Getz in terms of extra base hitting. He only has to find the gaps here and there to start brushing up to an .800 type of OPS.

Of course, if you told me the guy is going to be a decent CF with baserunning value and will carry a .700-.750 OPS, that's a nice player, too. But as we all know, players who were consistent in the minors don't always make the MLB leap as smoothly. His injuries are also a problem and might cause us to never really know what he could have been. Normally, Tilson isn't the kind of guy you're going to try and set aside a MLB position to get a look at, but the Sox are in a spot where he's the best option so we'll get to know him.

To me it will depend on injury, but reading the STL reports on his defense, he was considered the best OF defender they had. We have 3 plus-defenders with questionable hit tools in engel/may/tilson, maybe one pans out, likely none do. But I like Tilson at least as a consistent major leaguer.