Offseason Trade Prediction

hi8is

If what the Boston Herald reported today is accurate, that JR does not want to trade Sale, I suspect the team will be "going for it" yet again in 2017, the last year of the "window / plan."

That means the moves that will be made will be complimentary in nature along with "hoping" to catch lightening in a bottle. No major trades or franchise altering deals in my opinion.

Mark

Prediction, Sox sign Castro © and Joe Smith (RP) to surprisingly reasonable deals, then start rumors that they are active trying to sign Reddick or Cespedes, and are showing heavy interest in Trumbo when it appears their market is more limited than initially thought. Sox claim they will only sign them to the right price, then start leaking that the demands are still unreasonable. Fans start saying "Good, I would never pay x for that player". Cespedes then signs for a deal below what was leaked but high enough that fans say "Good, I don't want to be paying him at age 34".

After the initial higher level FAs sign, sox are rumored to be in on Desmond, who signs elsewhere. Eventually they sign Jon Jay to a 2 year $20 million dollar deal. Sox fans immediately dream of his 2016 start and start putting forth crappy lineups like this:

Eaton

Anderson

Abreu

Frazier

Melky

Jay

Castro

Lawrie

Garcia/Tilson/Rotation

That's not bad! That could be an 86 win team.

I really wish the Sox FO could come to the realization that there really are no scenarios in which they are "going for it" next season if if they think they are. You cant add to this group with 2 or 3 different dudes and think you are going for it no matter who you add. Unless you are adding superstars which isnt going to happen.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
Somehow I feel Yasiel Puig winds up on the South Side this winter for better of for worse

Personally hope JR pays the other Cuban OF, Cespedes, this winter along with Wilson Ramos and maybe Justin Morneau

Will he opt out of that crazy deal though? Dude is gonna make almost 30M dollars for the next two years

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
I really wish the Sox FO could come to the realization that there really are no scenarios in which they are "going for it" next season if if they think they are. You cant add to this group with 2 or 3 different dudes and think you are going for it no matter who you add. Unless you are adding superstars which isnt going to happen.

I just have zero confidence that after they look at the roster they won't be like "you know if we just sign a DH and a CF we are a good team!" especially after 2 straight years of missing out on the Ian Desmond success stories and instead consistently assuming that we'll get the career years out of 30 year old players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
Will he opt out of that crazy deal though? Dude is gonna make almost 30M dollars for the next two years

He's gonna make 24 per if he doesn't opt out.

He'll get a higher AAV if he opts out.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 05:39 AM)
White Sox sign Tim Tebow, OF to play CF / DH / life coach

And to close so there can be Tebowing after every save. Fans will be used to it already since half of them already do it whenever Robertson escapes one of the hideous jams he typically finds himself in.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

I'm guessing they sign Jason Castro to a 1 year cheap deal and/or trade spare parts in a deal for Derek Norris (might cost a bit more since there aren't a lot of catchers). Always wanted to see what he could do in an MLB ballpark. I think they also sign Carlos Gomez to a one year cheap deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

I think one of Sale or Q will go for a package of youngsters. Maybe some swapping of others. I also think they will try to bring some guys in to compete next season. The division isn't great. KC is on the way down. Detroit is always going to be on the edge of collapse. Cleveland's line up is pretty suspect, and their pitchers are starting to get injured. Who knows what is going on with Brantley. Minnesota has issues. A decent team can win the division. Maybe trading one of the 2 big pitchers, replenishes some of the farm system, and they could spend a little to fill in additional holes. They are also due for some of their clearance rack items to pan out. They just can't count on several of them to work out to be successful. The logic has been solid on most of them, but the execution has not.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
And to close so there can be Tebowing after every save. Fans will be used to it already since half of them already do it whenever Robertson escapes one of the hideous jams he typically finds himself in.

Bring back the Takatsu Gong.

Of course, that wouldn't survive the political correctness police a decade plus later...