How much hope should we have for Anderson?

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
I think the bolded is a myth.

The issue isn't that these guys themselves come up and struggle a bit. The issue is that these guys are placed in a position where a team designed to be competitive needs them to succeed in order to actually be competitive. This creates an atmosphere where the organization, the team, the player and the fans are placing so much reliance on the prospect to immediately contribute that it sort of ruins the entire mood for everyone.

If we were to rebuild, I think there would be an acceptance for struggles and growing pains because of reduced expectations that simply doesn't exist when you are trying to compete year in and year out.

Excellent analysis.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
The fact is, if you are going to totally rebuild and you are trading pillars of a core, you have to have the utmost confidence in the people tearing it down. If not, you are only going to make a bad situation worse, and worse for a long time.

You're right.

But I would just point out that there really are only 2 pillars: Q and Sale. Abreu, Jones and Eaton are part of a decent core, but that's where it ends.

As far as moving out guys, Hahn missed his window, although he may have some chance in August. But aside from Eaton, Jones, Q, Sale, the rest of the roster would have received higher prices in July and August than it will in December. Because they players just aren't very good (as per the results).

Edited by GreenSox

Given how little he walked and how little time he had in AAA, his current run isn't too surprising. We've seen the good and the bad. One thing that's important to me is that I think by the eye test he looks like he has a lot more baseball aptitude than the stats and description of "raw" would suggest. Even when he's missing at a good slider for a strikeout, he often shows that he does indeed have recognition of the pitch, just not the discipline to deal with it. And of course his defense has been much better than I expected, especially for a guy with a sub-.900 fielding percentage two years ago.

I don't think he'll become a player with high walk totals, but he seems to have the natural abilities to be within normal levels, especially for a shortstop.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
I don't know if anyone should have confidence in Hahn, I am just pointing out that they aren't going to try to make it work with the same players again. It will be a very different mix. Whether they still will be mired in mediocrity, I don't know. I choose to hope not, but I can understand if people think it won't work. But many of the same people who say KW, JR and Hahn have no clue, want these guys to get rid of all of their good players and choose prospects to replace them. I have no idea why someone would think that's a good idea with no confidence in the management team.

The fact is, if you are going to totally rebuild and you are trading pillars of a core, you have to have the utmost confidence in the people tearing it down. If not, you are only going to make a bad situation worse, and worse for a long time.

That's the way I see it. The Sox were not the only bad teams to not trade any of their star players.

The Sox should have a lot of hope for him. I don't know how you fix the plate discipline issues though...no real reason to throw him a strike. Maybe he can hit bad pitches like Alexei and be like Alexei, although that would be disappointing.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
The Sox should have a lot of hope for him. I don't know how you fix the plate discipline issues though...no real reason to throw him a strike. Maybe he can hit bad pitches like Alexei and be like Alexei, although that would be disappointing.

Now see THIS would be a post to jump down someone's throat for, not mine.

If Timmy has Alexei's career, but a few years longer of prime because of age, I would consider Anderson wildly successful. He actually has a lot of developing to do before I would feel comfortable projecting him as good as Alexei was....both offensively and defensively. Alexei was no worse than a top 6/7 SS in all of baseball from '08-'14. We should all be crossing our fingers Anderson turns into Ramirez actually.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Now see THIS would be a post to jump down someone's throat for, not mine.

If Timmy has Alexei's career, but a few years longer of prime because of age, I would consider Anderson wildly successful. He actually has a lot of developing to do before I would feel comfortable projecting him as good as Alexei was....both offensively and defensively. Alexei was no worse than a top 6/7 SS in all of baseball from '08-'14. We should all be crossing our fingers Anderson turns into Ramirez actually.

Yea, I fail to properly venerate Alexei Ramirez. Yea yea. Heck half this board wanted him back this season for $10 million.

Alexei was not good on offense. He made one all star team. I want Sox top prospects to be able to hit...and not just hit decently "for a shortstop." If they don't, I am disappointed. Players aren't picked high in the first round with the expectation that they will have a .307 OBP, like Alexei has.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
Yea, I fail to properly venerate Alexei Ramirez. Yea yea. Heck half this board wanted him back this season for $10 million.

Alexei was not good on offense. He made one all star team. I want Sox top prospects to be able to hit...and not just hit decently "for a shortstop." If they don't, I am disappointed. Players aren't picked high in the first round with the expectation that they will have a .307 OBP, like Alexei has.

Math is hard, let's go shopping!