Zack Burdi not coming to Chicago this season

Baron

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no problem with this promotion. If the Sox are going to entertain the possibility of trading Robertson this winter then there's nothing wrong with getting a sneak peek at Burdi in September. Who knows, the Sox might need Burdi to setup Jones next year.

I realize that Rick Hahn reached for Burdi to put in this year's pen, but even Rick Hahn has to admit that the season is over.

He's a top 30 pick; you don't use that on relief pitchers, first try. Work him to start.

I suppose Rick Hahn is getting him ready for next season's pen so he can howl at the moon and "go for it" again.

A top 30 pick for the bullpen.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
Personally, I don't see the point of him coming up this season. I would prefer if he went into the offseason conditioning as a starter and working as a starter in the minors to start the season.

100% agree. And I'd like to see Fulmer in AAA working as a starter as well. Let relievers like Albers continue to blow games and worry about fixing the pen in the offseason. This season is already a lost cause.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
I realize that Rick Hahn reached for Burdi to put in this year's pen, but even Rick Hahn has to admit that the season is over.

He's a top 30 pick; you don't use that on relief pitchers, first try. Work him to start.

I suppose Rick Hahn is getting him ready for next season's pen so he can howl at the moon and "go for it" again.

A top 30 pick for the bullpen.

That's really tough to do in the year they are drafted especially for a guy who was in the pen in college. He may follow the sale path where they think his stuff is good enough to get MLB hitters out now but he just needs to get stretched out in the off season over the next couple of years.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
I'm still confused why they are rushing him? Are there any positives for the long term with him coming up for a month?

Yes, if his stuff is consistent and he can get out minor league hitters what is he going to learn pitching to them?

He may learn more trying to get out MLB hitters, especially when the season doesn't matter.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
100% agree. And I'd like to see Fulmer in AAA working as a starter as well. Let relievers like Albers continue to blow games and worry about fixing the pen in the offseason. This season is already a lost cause.

He will hit his innings limit too soon and he will need to be shut down well before the season ends if he is in the rotation.

Personally, I don't see the point of him coming up this season. I would prefer if he went into the offseason conditioning as a starter and working as a starter in the minors to start the season.

Yep, exactly. The only reason to call him up in 2016 was to help the playoff push. Playoff push is over....so let him continue to make 2 IP appearances in AA, then prepare in the offseason to start in 2017 in the minors.

Unless they made a deal with him on draft day to call him up, I agree. Zero reason to call him up now.