Zack Burdi not coming to Chicago this season

Baron

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time disagreeing with greensox now that the white sox didn't just use a draft pick on Burdi because they hoped he could be a reliever right away on a contending team. I have very low confidence that they may try and stretch him out to a starter if this is the behavior.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Sox have three of their biggest scouts (Hostetler/Laumann specifically) who live right by Louisville. Last year the Sox were scouting Funkhouser hard, this year Ray, and they saw a lot of Burdi and absolutely love him. Someone I spoke to said that if Burdi was available at #26, they didn't envision a scenario the Sox wouldn't take him.

Love him as what though? I'd hope that thorough scouting and love for him would be confidence his stuff would translate into a starter. Moving him up to reliever at the big league club in his first year woul dmake it very surprising if they still stretch him out and send him to double A to work as a starter next.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Love him as what though? I'd hope that thorough scouting and love for him would be confidence his stuff would translate into a starter. Moving him up to reliever at the big league club in his first year woul dmake it very surprising if they still stretch him out and send him to double A to work as a starter next.

Its the stuff like this that makes me think "what the hell are they doing? Do they know what they are doing? Do they have a solid plan for anything?".

I know I am probably being over dramatic and negative but damn, they make it hard.

Talked to someone who's been watching him pitch in person in Birmingham. His command has improved noticeably. So that's good.

I'd still prefer he spent the remainder of the season in AAA, but it appears that's not the plan.

By the way, here's the prospect profile with links to videos, an interview, and in-person scouting report, etc.

I have no problem with them bringing him up here in a couple weeks. There's only like 3 weeks left in the MiLB season and neither Birmingham nor Charlotte are going to the playoffs. Bring him up and see what he's got. It's not like it affects his service time or arbitration clock in any meaningful way.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
If he's throwing around 100 with command, and has at least another mediocre pitch, he can be a lockdown reliever for a long time and will be a steal at 26.

He's got improving but still not great command of his fastball. He can throw strikes consistently, but not necessarily locate or paint.

The slider, when it works, is a true wipe-out pitch that is downright nasty. But his command of it is far looser than his fastball command, and honestly with that much movement in velo, he may never be able to locate it with any precision.

The change is around the fastball in terms of command.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
I have no idea what the hell they are trying to prove...unless they made him a promise when they signed him.

Thats really stupid. Its not like they got the guy at a discount, theres no way they should have made such a deal unless he was going to take money well under slot to let the team acquire more talent. All that rushing him up does is to start his clock and get him closer to being expensive.

What a steal of a pick at that draft position. Holy moly. I for one don't want the Sox to stretch him out into a starter at all. If he is a dominant reliever throwing 100mph like it's nothing then I feel much better about 2017. So glad the Sox didn't draft some high school batter with upside at that position. Looks like a slam dunk perfect pick.

Have you watched Chapman get hit at 103-104?

You can't get away with just one pitch in the majors...we'll see how his other stuff develops. It's back to the philosophy of letting him get beat up a bit (with the Sox) and then he'll be likelier to take coaching advice.

It's easy to see Hahn using the Hansen pick as his out...we love Zach's arm a lot, his stuff's just too good right now not to utilize along with our current win now assets this year and going into another contending season in 2017. We have also received a slew of glowing reports on the progress of Alec and believe he'll be ready for the rotation by mid 2018, etc. Right now, we have a really positive situation with competition for the starting rotation and don't have to push any of our young guys like Carson too much because they're all experienced veterans diwn there, even Carlos Rodon with two years under his belt. When, not if, Carlos takes the next step, we'll have one of the best rotations in the majors.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Have you watched Chapman get hit at 103-104?

You can't get away with just one pitch in the majors...we'll see how his other stuff develops. It's back to the philosophy of letting him get beat up a bit (with the Sox) and then he'll be likelier to take coaching advice.

It's easy to see Hahn using the Hansen pick as his out...we love Zach's arm a lot, his stuff's just too good right now not to utilize along with our current win now assets this year and going into another contending season in 2017. We have also received a slew of glowing reports on the progress of Alec and believe he'll be ready for the rotation by mid 2018, etc. Right now, we have a really positive situation with competition for the starting rotation and don't have to push any of our young guys like Carson too much because they're all experienced veterans diwn there, even Carlos Rodon with two years under his belt. When, not if, Carlos takes the next step, we'll have one of the best rotations in the majors.

Unless you're Mo.

But otherwise, yes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
That's really tough to do in the year they are drafted especially for a guy who was in the pen in college. He may follow the sale path where they think his stuff is good enough to get MLB hitters out now but he just needs to get stretched out in the off season over the next couple of years.

If that's what they're doing, then fantastic. If he's as advanced as Sale was and can move into the rotation after some time in the pen, then Hahn made the pick of the year.

But if he used a pick the top 26 pick for a bullpen pitcher, then Hahn completely botched this entire situation of having 3 top 40 picks.

I'm still not sure of the point of rushing him up, except that that's what Rick Hahn does.

It really is feeling like 2017 is Hahn's last stand, and there will be carnage in terms of Sox assets if it doesn't work (and even if it does).

Edited by GreenSox

Let's hope he is a better reliever than Poreda, Ring and Reed.

At least Addison had "plus" value where he was selected.

Some WAR magician will make him out to be a bargain if he's halfway decent, surely.

Let's also hope he is more effective than Carson has been out of the pen or Hahn will look even more foolish since there's no compelling reason to push him at this point...that might have been the case were/with Robertson dealt at the deadline.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:39 PM)
Let's hope he is a better reliever than Poreda, Ring and Reed.

At least Addison had "plus" value where he was selected.

Some WAR magician will make him out to be a bargain if he's halfway decent, surely.

Let's also hope he is more effective than Carson has been out of the pen or Hahn will look even more foolish since there's no compelling reason to push him at this point...that might have been the case were/with Robertson dealt at the deadline.

I used to agree that wasting a 1st rounder on a reliever was bad business but then I saw this year's deadline. Teams are stupid. Did you see the haul received for Giles from Philly in the offseason? Even if out of the bullpen, if Burdi is awesome, he's a very valuable commodity.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
If that's what they're doing, then fantastic. If he's as advanced as Sale was and can move into the rotation after some time in the pen, then Hahn made the pick of the year.

But if he used a pick the top 26 pick for a bullpen pitcher, then Hahn completely botched this entire situation of having 3 top 40 picks.

I'm still not sure of the point of rushing him up, except that that's what Rick Hahn does.

It really is feeling like 2017 is Hahn's last stand, and there will be carnage in terms of Sox assets if it doesn't work (and even if it does).

Did you know that the 10 players selected at #26 prior to Burdi have a combined career WAR of -1.2? If this guy is a contributing reliever, Hahn nailed this pick.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Did you know that the 10 players selected at #26 prior to Birdi have a combined career WAR of -1.2? If this guy is a contributing receiver, Hahn nailed this pick.

Uh... How do picks 16 - 25 in the 2016 MLB draft have any ability to have WAR weighted against their major league career?

Edit: Duh, retread your post and understand what you're jiving at now.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
Uh... How do picks 16 - 25 in the 2016 MLB draft have any ability to have WAR weighted against their major league career?

Edit: Duh, retread your post and understand what you're jiving at now.

sSince 1992, the only players selected at 26 overall with a career WAR over 1 are Bonderman in 2001 at 5.2, and Mark Johnson selected by the White Sox in 1992 at 2.0. You get a contributing major league player at 26, you did a good job. A ton of organizations failed..

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
I used to agree that wasting a 1st rounder on a reliever was bad business but then I saw this year's deadline. Teams are stupid. Did you see the haul received for Giles from Philly in the offseason? Even if out of the bullpen, if Burdi is awesome, he's a very valuable commodity.

Not to mention what closers and even set up men are getting paid on the open market.