Justin Morneau 2017 DH

ScootsMcGoots

Just curious as to everyone's thoughts.

After last night's 4 hit performance, in 70 at-bats Morneau is hitting .300 with 3 homeruns, 9 RBI, OPS of .851

While 70 ABs is a small sample size, I think that Morneau has proven that he is still capable of hitting well at the professional level. The power may not be there, but he is still finding holes and putting the bat on the ball which is waaay more than any other recent Sox DH has done.

Should the Sox strongly consider offering him a contract for the DH position next season? He does solve a hole in the lineup...good left-handed bat and a DH (2 birds one stone). If so, would a 2 year deal be too much? He's 35, turns 36 in May 2017. I don't think so...not a big fan of these 1-year rentals and it's not like Morneau is 38, but maybe they need to see how he hits the rest of the season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)

After last night's 4 hit performance, in 70 at-bats Morneau is hitting .300 with 3 homeruns, 9 RBI, OPS of .851

While 70 ABs is a small sample size, I think that Morneau has proven that he is still capable of hitting well at the professional level. The power may not be there, but he is still finding holes and putting the bat on the ball which is waaay more than any other recent Sox DH has done.

Should the Sox strongly consider offering him a contract for the DH position next season? He does solve a hole in the lineup...good left-handed bat and a DH (2 birds one stone). If so, would a 2 year deal be too much? He's 35, turns 36 in May 2017. I don't think so...not a big fan of these 1-year rentals and it's not like Morneau is 38, but maybe they need to see how he hits the rest of the season.

Far and away best pure hitter on the team certainly wouldn't hurt.

Depends! These are normally the kinds of signings that drive our fan base nuts because we want to see them go young and develop some talent. HOWEVER, I think if you could get him for a price similar to where he is now, I think it's a no-brainer. A good hitter in a good hitter's park who is familiar with your league and your division for a bargain price. He's old, he's going to miss games, he's going to land on the DL at some point(s). If they go radical with a rebuild plan this offseason (which I bet they do NOT), then I would try to use the roster space for development. If they decide to go for it again, I think he's a safe LH play when he's healthy and I'd resign him if I could get him cheap. If not, I wouldn't reach on the risk.

I'd be okay with Morneau in 2017 if they plan on trying to compete, which it appears they do. I don't think I'd give him a two year guaranteed deal for any significant money but a one year with an option and buy out wouldn't be bad.

Not sure why you're saying the power isn't there. He has 5 doubles and 3 homers over just 70 at bats. That would be 38 doubles and 23 homers over the course of a 526 at bat season, which was Morneau's average number of at bats the 3 seasons prior to his injury.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)
I'd be okay with Morneau in 2017 if they plan on trying to compete, which it appears they do. I don't think I'd give him a two year guaranteed deal for any significant money but a one year with an option and buy out wouldn't be bad.

Not sure why you're saying the power isn't there. He has 5 doubles and 3 homers over just 70 at bats. That would be 38 doubles and 23 homers over the course of a 526 at bat season, which was Morneau's average number of at bats the 3 seasons prior to his injury.

Which is actually impressive considering he had elbow surgery a few months ago

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm thinking he will be traded before the end of the year. In the offseason, they'll have to outbid the competition which usually doesn't turn out too well.

That's obviously what they should do.

He's the best hitter on the team, by a wide margin.

If he continues through the end of the season hitting like he is, I wouldn't mind seeing a one year deal for 2017, maybe with an option for 2018. I could definitely see some other teams having interest in him, though, so he might command a little more than the Sox would be willing to pay.

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 07:54 AM)
He has looked good in his short stint so far...

He hasn't been Soxified yet. It'll come- if not before the end of this year, sometime early next season after he's been re-signed and a spot on the roster has been given to him.

Why not, though? It's better than seeing what other horrors they can dredge up from the bottom of some stagnant pond to DH in 2017.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
If you want a total rebuild, I have no idea why bringing Morneau back would even be something you would consider. On the other hand, if you think the White Sox should continue to try to win, bringing him back makes a lot of sense.

The White Sox are not going for a total rebuild and I am in the minority that thinks they should not.

What they need is a change in philosophy on how to approach hitting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
If you want a total rebuild, I have no idea why bringing Morneau back would even be something you would consider. On the other hand, if you think the White Sox should continue to try to win, bringing him back makes a lot of sense.

You can bring him back and try to flip him to a team that needs a left handed bat? Cubs did that that s*** for 3-4 years. And because there is no one else to give the at bats to really (MAYBE Davidson?).

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
The White Sox are not going for a total rebuild and I am in the minority that thinks they should not.

What they need is a change in philosophy on how to approach hitting.

I don't think it's a philosophy problem. They bring new guys in and they don't change their hitting approaches. It's the evaluation of what they are bringing in. If you go half assed you get a low OBP guy who may develop, probably not. If you want a high OBP, they cost you either a lot of money or talent. While shopping in the clearance aisles does work if you base having all of it work out, you probably are going to wind up disappointed.

It's time they either s*** or get off the pot. If they can't recognize good hitters, they need to hire someone that does. If they recognize them but don't want to pay the price, then they need to change their ways and either pay the price or move in a different direction. If their player development team isn't developing players like they want them to develop, it's time to bring in a new development team etc. etc.

The Sox do have a core, albeit small, that is pretty impressive. They just haven't been able to add to it with guys who are nothing but mediocre, and the guys they bring up all seem to follow many of the same patterns of their predecessors. You shouldn't have to be taught how to run the bases or what base to throw to, or to hit the ball to the right side, or to check the OFs when you get to the major leagues. This should be emphasized in the minor leagues every day. For the longest time, it looked like everyone the Sox every brought up started playing baseball a week before. There have been some exceptions recently, but not enough. That has to change.

His current HR pace would give him 26 HRs over 600 ABs, so call him a 25-30 HR bat while hitting .300 with an OPS right at .850. If he can keep up that pace for the rest of the year, and he's willing to take, say, 2/$10, why not? That's a bat you want in your lineup.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
His current HR pace would give him 26 HRs over 600 ABs, so call him a 25-30 HR bat while hitting .300 with an OPS right at .850. If he can keep up that pace for the rest of the year, and he's willing to take, say, 2/$10, why not? That's a bat you want in your lineup.

Yeah, I guess I didn't project his power numbers well. I agree his bat is one that should be in the lineup, going into next year with Morneau the lineup would look something like:

1) Eaton

2) Anderson (?) (Not sure if he is a 2-hole hitter quite yet)

3) Abreu (Hopefully he returns to his 2014 form...he has not hit like a number 3 hitter or even a number 5 hitter this year. Sox need him to drive in runs in order to compete)

4) Cabrera (I actually trust him to drive in Eaton and Anderson more than I do Abreu, so Melky might be better suited for number 3)

5) Morneau

6) Frazier

7) Lawrie

8) Catcher? (No clue who this will be, hopefully one that works well with pitchers, not necessarily an offensive force

9) Other outfielder, I like Jackson in the 9-hole, so maybe he comes back, who knows, although Avi might be back next year too.

If the players mentioned in this lineup at least play AT their career norms (other than Anderson, not sure what his "career norm" is quite yet, looks promising though), this is a very solid lineup. A bench with a backup C, Shuck, Saladino and someone else is GOOD, if none of the starters get hurt. Problem, there is no depth.

An aside: really looking forward to getting Putnam and Petricka back in the pen next year, along with possibly Burdi.

Edited by Scoots