Justin Morneau 2017 DH

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
If the players mentioned in this lineup at least play AT their career norms (other than Anderson, not sure what his "career norm" is quite yet, looks promising though), this is a very solid lineup.

I see people say that but our team batting numbers are terrible....like 27th in OPS. This is not just another patch up job.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm (as a fan) fine with re-signing Morneau to DH next year, if we are settling. If the goal is continued mediocrity, then have at it.

Aside from that, I think the offense needs a bigger upgrade, and DH is a spot with a lot more flexibility in regards to who can fill it, than say CF or C.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I don't think it's a philosophy problem. They bring new guys in and they don't change their hitting approaches. It's the evaluation of what they are bringing in. If you go half assed you get a low OBP guy who may develop, probably not. If you want a high OBP, they cost you either a lot of money or talent. While shopping in the clearance aisles does work if you base having all of it work out, you probably are going to wind up disappointed.

It's time they either s*** or get off the pot. If they can't recognize good hitters, they need to hire someone that does. If they recognize them but don't want to pay the price, then they need to change their ways and either pay the price or move in a different direction. If their player development team isn't developing players like they want them to develop, it's time to bring in a new development team etc. etc.

The Sox do have a core, albeit small, that is pretty impressive. They just haven't been able to add to it with guys who are nothing but mediocre, and the guys they bring up all seem to follow many of the same patterns of their predecessors. You shouldn't have to be taught how to run the bases or what base to throw to, or to hit the ball to the right side, or to check the OFs when you get to the major leagues. This should be emphasized in the minor leagues every day. For the longest time, it looked like everyone the Sox every brought up started playing baseball a week before. There have been some exceptions recently, but not enough. That has to change.

Every coach they hire has the same philosophy. When they hired Todd he stated that he did not emphasize OBP.

They do not emphasize this as part of player development and hence this is what you have year after year.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Every coach they hire has the same philosophy. When they hired Todd he stated that he did not emphasize OBP.

They do not emphasize this as part of player development and hence this is what you have year after year.

That's not correct. Steverson came from Oakland. He emphasizes good ABs and getting on base. It hasn't translated because you need hitters that have good ABs and get on base.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-05...erson-white-sox

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
If we try to add Cespedes and a catcher with a pulse, sure.

I think if you are going to tear it down, Morneau is exactly the kind of player you want to keep around. Great hitter, great character, great clubhouse personality, and very respected pro. Just the kind of guy you want around a bunch of young guys coming up and learning to adjust to life in the MLB.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I think if you are going to tear it down, Morneau is exactly the kind of player you want to keep around. Great hitter, great character, great clubhouse personality, and very respected pro. Just the kind of guy you want around a bunch of young guys coming up and learning to adjust to life in the MLB.

Exactly. He fits on the roster whichever direction they decide to go. Except if you're trying to compete, try to bring in another big bat along with keeping him.

Question to those seeing the Sox on a daily basis. Abreu has been on a tear lately. I wonder how much, if any, has Mourneau helped hitting behind him. Earlier in the year, Melky was hitting well but it didn't seem to help. But it seems to me the arrival of Mourneau seems to coincide w Abreu hitting much better. maybe Abrfeu has just found his groove.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 02:45 AM)
I realize the chances are incredibly small, but someone humor me....

IF Morneau somehow went on a crazy tear and ended the year hitting like .325 with 15 HR or something, can the Sox offered him a QO? I know a player switching teams mid-season can't get offered a QO, but what about a player SIGNED mid-season?

No they can't offer him one. Had to be here from day one. And if they could I don't see a team signing him with a draft pick attached nor Morneau rejecting a 1 year/17 mill offer.

And there have been examples of guys who have waited til mid-season to sign so they didn't have a chance of being offered a QO.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
No they can't offer him one. Had to be here from day one. And if they could I don't see a team signing him with a draft pick attached nor Morneau rejecting a 1 year/17 mill offer.

And there have been examples of guys who have waited til mid-season to sign so they didn't have a chance of being offered a QO.

And even if they could offer him one, with his concussion and injury history, I don't think you would want to wrap up that kind of cash in him. You'll be able to get him at a fraction of that in the off-season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)
Question to those seeing the Sox on a daily basis. Abreu has been on a tear lately. I wonder how much, if any, has Mourneau helped hitting behind him. Earlier in the year, Melky was hitting well but it didn't seem to help. But it seems to me the arrival of Mourneau seems to coincide w Abreu hitting much better. maybe Abrfeu has just found his groove.

Could be the presence of Morneau, but I think the fact that his son is around is the biggest factor as to why he has been performing so well.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)

Right, just wondering how the rule worked. Thanks.