Carlos Gomez DFA'd

bmags

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Let me be first to put this lineup out there:

2017 White Sox

LF - Puig

CF - Gomez

RF - Eaton

3b-Frazier

SS - Anderson

2b - LORRIE

1b - Abreu

DH - Melky

C - Matt Wieters

Yuck.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Seeing that lineup just puzzles me. Each individual arent terrible baseball players (a case can be made for some) but as a whole they are yuck. Why is that?

Because you can picture a situation where what happened this year happens again, the new faces fizzle out, the familiar faces stink, and we're stuck watching JB Shuck every day?

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)
Seeing that lineup just puzzles me. Each individual arent terrible baseball players (a case can be made for some) but as a whole they are yuck. Why is that?

I love it because it's the epitome of a soxtalk preseason "that lineups not bad, with our pitching we should win 88" lineup that would totally be 28th in the league again.

His defense alone would be a huge improvement over what we have to send out there now. With a $9m annual salary, he is due something around 2.5 to $3 million for the rest of the season.

That said, I highly doubt we do add him, unless they want to test drive him to see if they want to chase him next year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 10, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)

Because you've got players who massed between 2012 - 2014 and now are below average.

Gomez and Rasmus (out of position a bit) likely are the two best CF options this offseason...unless you can conceive of the Royals trading Cain to the Sox next July and KW/JR getting him to sign a huge extension to forgo free agency. That would fit the Sox historical trend of adding name players 2-3 years past their primes.

For some reason, Kendrys Morales as DH next season feels about equally likely as Morneau at this point. It all depends on Justin's desire to play for a contender again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-you-want...e-carlos-gomez/

This guys is definitely going to be our CF next year.

If absolutely nothing else, you know the guy is going to catch most everything hit to center field. That alone is a big help to a team that depends on its pitching.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
If absolutely nothing else, you know the guy is going to catch most everything hit to center field. That alone is a big help to a team that depends on its pitching.

He is, at least, a good defender. Gomez used to be one of those. I forgot to say that his defense has apparently gotten worse, too.