Jose Cruz Jr.

KipWellsFan

He's always had a horrible OBP which I'm sure is why Ricciardi doesn't like him plus his power left him last year -this means he's probably batting 8th in our lineup.

He's already 28 and isn't getting any better.

We haven't traded Carlos Lee, we already have Rowand in CF and Borchard is waiting in the wings.

I think this would be a waste of money when we already need a veteran catcher and the ever elusive starting pitcher.

Who would you rather have in CF, Rowand, who has proven nothing to me yet...he showed signs that he could be a good, .270ish hitter with 20 bombs and a decent OBP in 2001 and then for his first 50 or so at-bats didn't draw a walk at all. He's got decent speed but does get good jumps on balls, he's got a pretty good arm, but that's about it. Defensively he could be compared to Edmonds...not fast, but gets good jumps and has a good arm, as I said. Rowand will give us 20 or so homers a year along with double digit steals and a great person to sacrifice a runner over in the bottom of the order.

Or would you rather Cruz, who has proven he can hit for power, plays great defense and has a great arm, has good speed on the basepaths, has good plate discipline and is left-handed, but who strikes out a lot and probably couldn't get a bunt down for his life and who would cost about $2.5 million more?

I know which one I'd want, assuming we could another (good) pitcher first.