Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

I remember Bernstein talking about the next owners of the Sox a couple of months ago, claiming that he has some inside information with a minority owner of the team...a claim that I have no reason to dispute.

He mentioned that in speaking with this individual they believed that the next owner of the team would have to undertake a gut rebranding of the franchise, including a new stadium somewhere closer to downtown. Well if the team is worth $1 billion, another $1.5 billion for a stadium, that's a pretty significant investment.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
It has to do with an unsubstantiated rumor propounded by a Sox hater, and Bernstein most definitely is that.

He's trying to create trouble and enjoying the White Sox floundering. He and other Cubs fans WANT the White Sox sold and moved.

And one of the thimngs they love to point out is how terrible the neighborhood around US Cellular is.

It is curious who posted so quickly in succession objecting to a negative post about the Cubs.

Back to Bernstein, show me any evidence you have indicating that he is a sox fan. Something he claimed ? LOL.

My opinion is based on speaking with Bernstein in person and listening to Boers and Bernstein sarcastic digs at the White Sox while praising the Cubs for years.

Bernstein is feeding Cub fan/Sox trolls and apparently they easily bite.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
It has to do with an unsubstantiated rumor propounded by a Sox hater, and Bernstein most definitely is that.

He's trying to create trouble and enjoying the White Sox floundering. He and other Cubs fans WANT the White Sox sold and moved.

And one of the thimngs they love to point out is how terrible the neighborhood around US Cellular is.

It is curious who posted so quickly in succession objecting to a negative post about the Cubs.

Back to Bernstein, show me any evidence you have indicating that he is a sox fan. Something he claimed ? LOL.

My opinion is based on speaking with Bernstein in person and listening to Boers and Bernstein sarcastic digs at the White Sox while praising the Cubs for years.

So you don't have evidence, you have an opinion, but you want someone else to provide evidence for you? LMAO, come on man. This is like twitter-weaksauce.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
A couple things. JR does not like Cuban and is one reason Cuban doesn't own a team now. If he sold to him he would look ridiculous to the other owners so ridiculous they would probably block the sale, and even if he did sell to him since he s would own the Bulls he would be business partner's with him. That isn't going to happen. Finally, when is the last time Bernstein had a scoop no other reporter had?I would guess never so it is all mute anyway.

Well yes but the only reason I brought up Cuban was a counter to any outside group being bad news.

And for the last part, well, that's most things we discuss.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
So you don't have evidence, you have an opinion, but you want someone else to provide evidence for you? LMAO, come on man. This is like twitter-weaksauce.

Didn't JR have a blowup with Bernstein on-air a few years ago? I remember JR saying "You'll never get a bite of this apple again" and then he hung up on them.

Bernstein has always had a bone to pick with JR. #shrug

A "rebranded" franchise? Cool. But with a new stadium downtown? Sounds dope as f*** to me.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
I remember Bernstein talking about the next owners of the Sox a couple of months ago, claiming that he has some inside information with a minority owner of the team...a claim that I have no reason to dispute.

He mentioned that in speaking with this individual they believed that the next owner of the team would have to undertake a gut rebranding of the franchise, including a new stadium somewhere closer to downtown. Well if the team is worth $1 billion, another $1.5 billion for a stadium, that's a pretty significant investment.

Actually there is every reason to dispute Bernstein source. He hasn't been correct yet. He has a talk show and needs to throw the White Sox in the mix. If they talk about the team it will be a rerun of the past 50 times they talked about them so he throws this out to make it interesting.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
As long as they keep the team in Chicago I hope Reinsdorf sells soon. The new owner WILL build a new ballpark, hopefully in a new location.

Why? It's just fine where it is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I still don't buy it. The sox are going to be bought (in this fantasy world where they sell) by a group of billionaires and millionaires that want to own a baseball team. Won't have anything to do with how profitable they think it could be.

Chicago has a lot of potential buyers, and, could also be led by a famous head. Oh god...what if Jordan buys the white sox.

We just found the missing piece for next year in the outfield, yay!

Better yet, Trump...because he already has a beef with the Ricketts family and Ivanka would take KW's place. At least that would be interesting. Trump Field would increase the value of the stadium and real estate in the surrounding neighborhood, until a North Korean cruise missile was launched in that direction.

Aren't there any high tech billionaires connected to Chicago...now that GroupOn has fizzled?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:55 PM)
Why? It's just fine where it is.

There are better locations. Just think. If you were to own the Chicago White Sox and had the money and had to decide where to put the stadium ... 35th and Shields would be way way down the list. My preferences are 1. Downtown. 2. Naperville. 3. Lisle. 4. Schaumberg. 5. Lake Shore Drive. 6. 35th and Shields. 7. Near Brookfield Zoo.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:57 PM)
If they do sell, then would that mean leaving Chicago and Illinois? Is it likelier to happen than staying put?

In modern American business, it's wherever they can make the biggest buck. If it's Las Vegas, bye bye White Sox. If it's Charlotte, bye bye White Sox. If it's Memphis, bye bye White Sox. If it's Chicago, then they stay.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
OK, so we need a mission statement and a bulleted list of things we would do in the first 100 days:

- Fire/Trade everyone

- ???

- Profit

The most important is the strategy for maximizing that 2019 broadcasting rights deal in the face of the Cubs' tsunami...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
There are better locations. Just think. If you were to own the Chicago White Sox and had the money and had to decide where to put the stadium ... 35th and Shields would be way way down the list. My preferences are 1. Downtown. 2. Naperville. 3. Lisle. 4. Schaumberg. 5. Lake Shore Drive. 6. 35th and Shields. 7. Near Brookfield Zoo.

In modern American business, it's wherever they can make the biggest buck. If it's Las Vegas, bye bye White Sox. If it's Charlotte, bye bye White Sox. If it's Memphis, bye bye White Sox. If it's Chicago, then they stay.

Considering the Cell has plenty of parking space, is a Metra stop and right off the highway, I'd leave it be.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
Considering the Cell has plenty of parking space, is a Metra stop and right off the highway, I'd leave it be.

Yes, but a lot of people simply would never consider going to 35th and Shields. Convenience is good, but other cities have their stadiums downtown and thrive. Chicago has to think big. Our team is second fiddle. It's time for the new owners to figure out where we would have the best chance of selling out every game. Frankly it's probably either Naperville or in the heart of downtown. Make it a 45,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof and put it somewhere we're going to sell out every game. It's got to truly be the best stadium ever constructed to compete with the Cubs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Yes, but a lot of people simply would never consider going to 35th and Shields. Convenience is good, but other cities have their stadiums downtown and thrive. Chicago has to think big. Our team is second fiddle. It's time for the new owners to figure out where we would have the best chance of selling out every game. Frankly it's probably either Naperville or in the heart of downtown. Make it a 45,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof and put it somewhere we're going to sell out every game. It's got to truly be the best stadium ever constructed to compete with the Cubs.

Don't a lot of cities have their teams in suburbs?