Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)
Except there is worse, as one fired a GM to keep his manager happy.

Not in my eyes. That's your opinion hell people saying Hillary would be a great president does not make it true.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)
Except there is worse, as one fired a GM to keep his manager happy.

Sometimes the manager is better than the gm and if they can't coexist just being in a higher position shouldn't keep you from being fired.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Why would Reinsdorf sell?

Apparently his son who would inherit the Bulls and White Sox only wants to maintain the Bulls. With Jerry Reinsdorf's age getting up there, it comes to no surprise that talks of a sale are starting to pop up. Especially with White Sox not being close to a World Series Championship.

In regards to them possibly leaving town. I just dont see that happening. The sweetheart stadium deal and the fact hey pocket so much revenue , which includes parking -- new ownership will be licking their chops at an opportunity to own this

ball club. I just hope when Riensdorf actually does sell, he sells it to a competitive group that wants compete with the Northsiders for city supremacy.

As bad as Reinsdorf's teams have been in the last decade or so, you really can't deny what he has brought to the city of Chicago. 7 World Championships. His legacy is with the Bulls, and he was the first owner to bring a ws trophy to Chicago in 88 years. Unfortunately, he will probably be remembered by most Sox fans as an owner that fielded mediocre teams because of the last decade or so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
I know there is the ridiculous myth about this ownership group. But realistically, there are plenty of ownership groups out there who treat their teams like an annuity. The Sox do put a fair amount of resources into their team. There are baseball teams out there who have figured out how to minimize their payroll in order to maximize their revenue sharing checks. The Sox have never fallen into that group. There are also groups who are losing 8 figures a year or more on debt payments that never go back to the team. Sure the Sox could find the next freespendin billionaire who needs a play thing. They could also find the next Jeff Loria or Larry Dolan.

At least the Indians shelled out for a manager and made the playoffs in 2013 and 2016....and attendance is close to 20,000 per game, so that's trending up as well.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
As bad as Reinsdorf's teams have been in the last decade or so, you really can't deny what he has brought to the city of Chicago. 7 World Championships. His legacy is with the Bulls, and he was the first owner to bring a ws trophy to Chicago in 88 years. Unfortunately, he will probably be remembered by most Sox fans as an owner that fielded mediocre teams because of the last decade or so.

He had nothing to do with those Bulls championships. He didn't hire the front office that drafted Michael Jordan. It would have been nearly impossible to screw that up.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
He had nothing to do with those Bulls championships. He didn't hire the front office that drafted Michael Jordan. It would have been nearly impossible to screw that up.

This is complete nonsense. He owned the team, he gets the credit.

7 championships. 7. How many championships does Chicago even have as a city? Reinsdorf has 7 of them.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)

7 championships. 7. How many championships does Chicago even have as a city? Reinsdorf has 7 of them.

He gets credit for owning the team. So what? He'd be about 20th on the list of people actually responsible for it.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:43 PM)

He bought the team when they already had the greatest player of all-time on the roster. I can't imagine how incompetent an organization would had to have been not to win multiple championships with Michael Jordan.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
He bought the team when they already had the greatest player of all-time on the roster. I can't imagine how incompetent an organization would had to have been not to win multiple championships with Michael Jordan.

7. Championships

You struggling to put your pants on in the morning has won the city 0 championships.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
He gets credit for owning the team. So what? He'd be about 20th on the list of people actually responsible for it.

Where should the owner rank?

7. Championships.

Edited by Deadpool

Jerry Krause is underrated but if one time success means forever credit where does Al Davis stand? Reinsdorf philosophy largely works for orgs too timid to go for it when you have a competitive team near the top, but it's keeping the w sox in limbo.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 08:43 PM)

That sells tickets for a couple of generations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
You laugh now, but all you have to do is look around professional sports to know that there are much worse ownership groups worse than the one we have. It hard to see past your hatred, but it is true.

I'll take my chances. Results wise, this ownership group has been pretty lousy. Not many franchises with fewer post-season experiences during Reinsdorf's run. IF it weren't for 2005, it would be even more pathetic.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:36 PM)
Jerry Krause is underrated but if one time success means forever credit where does Al Davis stand? Reinsdorf philosophy largely works for orgs too timid to go for it when you have a competitive team near the top, but it's keeping the w sox in limbo.

7 successes. That's twice what Davis has. Not sure why this is so hard for people.

I don't love the current Sox ownership method, but this guy has championships in two sports. His age has clouded his judgement, but there's no need for horrible ownership stupidity. In a town with so little hardware, Reinsdorf organizations are responsible for the majority of it.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
These other poor teams of which you speak oughta think about blackmailing the state in which they play to build them a new stadium. That way maybe as part of the blackmail operation they can also pressure their state politicians to engage in terrible public policy by also guaranteeing the teams annual healthy profit margins through taxpayer subsidies. This would allow them to join the coveted group the Sox are in who don't have to worry about such economic concerns.

"Ridiculous myth" - :lolhitting

Aha! So the owner isn't the worst part about the team, it's the gullible politicians that are at fault for the awful team the Sox have and the 36 years of futility.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:09 PM)
You're telling us! 36 years and running of rampant failure. Bring on the new, and soon!

That World Series failure. The failure of 1983, the failure of the 90's....oh agony, oh agony. how can life go on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
Aha! So the owner isn't the worst part about the team, it's the gullible politicians that are at fault for the awful team the Sox have and the 36 years of futility.

Don't be flip. What transpired in the late 80s with the blackmailing of the state by Reinsdorf to secure him a lifetime of profits via taxpayer subsidies was a disgusting abuse of public policy by gullible politicians, but initiated by a morally bankrupt owner of our Sox. Reinsdorf is not a man any of us can be proud of based on what he blackmailed the state into with that stadium and lease deal.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
Don't be flip. What transpired in the late 80s with the blackmailing of the state by Reinsdorf to secure him a lifetime of profits via taxpayer subsidies was a disgusting abuse of public policy by gullible politicians, but initiated by a morally bankrupt owner of our Sox. Reinsdorf is not a man any of us can be proud of based on what he blackmailed the state into with that stadium and lease deal.

I would totally disagree with everything you say about JR here. ALL owners try this. Many succeed. If he was so different than all the owners why didn't he do the same thing with the Bulls/Hawks stadium.

It was the politicians who give in to it that are the issue.

I said before that you "hated" him and you said I was making too many assumptions. It sure sounds like you are headed in that direction though.

I really dislike the fact that I seem to be defending the ownership even though I've said many times they haven't done a good job lately.

I can't believe the revisionist history people (not just you) seem to portrait that the Sox have done nothing in the past 36 years. I just boggles my mind that people are so narrowly focused.

Edited by ptatc