Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
I think you have been watching too many blue movies...besides, you are the one who keeps on praising them for attendance/support compared to Sox and Indians' fans.

Once again you make things up. I didn't praise anyone. I just stated facts. The Cubs had consecutive seasons of 75, 71, 61 ,66, and 73 wins. During those 5 seasons of what you would call unacceptable embarrassment by any team, they averaged almost 2.9 million fans a season, paying prices White Sox fans would not like. It allows your front office to do things the White Sox cannot. But you already knew that because you have been talking doom and gloom of White Sox finances for several years now. Of course, if it doesn't fit what you currently are complaining about, you forget you ever posted it.

But please become a Cubs fan today.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
I'm confused, was Berlin actually a Sox fan growing up or did he become a token one when became a limited partner?

Don't know, but it does suggest Bernstein was making things up again. If the Sox were for sale, I assume he would have some interest, but apparently he doesn't think they will be for sale any time soon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
Once again you make things up. I didn't praise anyone. I just stated facts. The Cubs had consecutive seasons of 75, 71, 61 ,66, and 73 wins. During those 5 seasons of what you would call unacceptable embarrassment by any team, they averaged almost 2.9 million fans a season, paying prices White Sox fans would not like. It allows your front office to do things the White Sox cannot. But you already knew that because you have been talking doom and gloom of White Sox finances for several years now. Of course, if it doesn't fit what you currently are complaining about, you forget you ever posted it.

Ummm....no....they actually had a plan.

And executed it.

It's four years into Hahn's regime and nobody has the first clue what he and KW are in "lockstep" about...

It's not doom and gloom about finances but how inefficiently they allocate their money. Terrible ROI.

Pretty hard to forget anything I've ever posted since you are monitoring every comment and storing it in your cloud archive.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
When I first saw this, I immediately thought of Berlin, but I now have very reliable information that tells me Andrew Berlin will not be the buyer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)
As a poster stated earlier, cross Andrew Berlin off the list. Converting his kids,from Sox fans to Cubs fans? That should bring DCFS into the picture.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...824-column.html

BOOM :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)

Of course that ignores the fact that they averaged almost 3.2 million the 5 years before that, had made the playoffs 3 times in the 7 years prior and their attendance trended consistently downward during those 5 years.

The Sox are about to hit 8 years in a row with no post-season appearances in a time where more teams than ever make the playoffs. The last time the Cubs went 8 years without making the post-season was in the 90's. Guess what? Their attendance wasn't great then either.

Since then they have followed the typical pattern. When they make the playoffs, attendance tends to trend upward. When they don't, attendance tends to trend downward. The biggest difference with the Cubs is their attendance trends down much slower. Even after they hit their high water mark in 2008 with 3.3 million they were still pulling in over 3 million 3 years later.

But it's been consistently shown for the Sox that it takes a combination of fans believing in the team before the season starts (season ticket sales) and the team actually coming through on those beliefs during the season (walk up sales) to really move the attendance needle. Surprise seasons out of the blue like 2008 might help IF they could follow that up with a 2nd post season appearance. Something they've never done. Being "in first place most of the season" simply doesn't cut it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
Ummm....no....they actually had a plan.

And executed it.

It's four years into Hahn's regime and nobody has the first clue what he and KW are in "lockstep" about...

It's not doom and gloom about finances but how inefficiently they allocate their money. Terrible ROI.

You really do come off like a Cub fan who is constantly trolling White Sox forums and repeating the same tired talking points over and over again.

The cubs got lucky landing Bryant when they had a high Draft pick.

They stole Rizzo from the Padres when Hoyer came over.

They were extremely lucky getting Addison Russell in a trade and ditto that with Arrieta.

Then they spent big money to get Zobrist, Lester, Ross, Fowler, Heyward, . And they bought Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon to run the team.

Joe Ricketts has been spending like a drunken sailor with easy but dirty Wall Street money from derivative trades, the volatile stock market, nd taking advantage of day traders through TDI Ameritrade. Ricketts is intent on buying a World Series. The Sox actually won the World Series without the hundreds of millions Ricketts has poured into that sewer on the North side.

In order to even the playing field and foster competition among 30 teams, MLB needs to have an enforceable salary cap and revenue sharing, including revenue from media contracts and advertising.

Take at least some of the corporate profit motive out of the game and at the same time get control over inflated player contracts. Maybe then the advertising, naming rights , price of admission and beer will get under control and more teams will be able to compete.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Leagues with salary caps aren't any more competitive than MLB, right? And it sure as heck won't drive prices of anything but players' salaries down.

What salary cap league isn't more competitive than MLB? The NBA is probably the lone exception and that's due to a lack of stars relative to teams and a desire amongst players to live/work in big markets.

A salary cap would be awesome for MLB.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)
What salary cap league isn't more competitive than MLB? The NBA is probably the lone exception and that's due to a lack of stars relative to teams and a desire amongst players to live/work in big markets.

A salary cap would be awesome for MLB.

I think the assumption that the NFL has so much more parody is largely a reflection of the # of teams allowed in the playoffs.

The decade of 2010-current has been dominated by the ravens, patriots, seahawks, broncos and 49ers for a time.

No different than MLB being dominated by the Giants, Cardinals, Red Sox, Royals and Rangers

Having seen the NBA, NFL and NHL, I really don't see a need for MLB, especially after this decade.

No one tried to buy WS more than the post 2000 yankees have tried to buy a WS. Or the Angels under Moreno.

ANd they haven't.

The best run organizations in the MLB have done well regardless of market or salary. The Rays did it for a while. The Rangers under Daniels and Ryan. The Cardinals forever. The Red Sox. The Dodgers, and now the Cubs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
Having seen the NBA, NFL and NHL, I really don't see a need for MLB, especially after this decade.

No one tried to buy WS more than the post 2000 yankees have tried to buy a WS. Or the Angels under Moreno.

ANd they haven't.

The best run organizations in the MLB have done well regardless of market or salary. The Rays did it for a while. The Rangers under Daniels and Ryan. The Cardinals forever. The Red Sox. The Dodgers, and now the Cubs.

come on now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
come on now.

May be some hyperbole but nothing in baseball has shown me that a really good front office team can't overcome money deficit. Especially with TV money now.

This thread was identified as having too many personal attacks. While the subject of the content is important and thread worthy, I'm closing this particular thread and access to fire back to some of the comments which were made to put an end to those type of responses. New thread will be opened where people can talk about the actual topic.