Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
lol, BS. If he thinks he can make money off of it, he'd be on it in about a second. Playing second fiddle to the Cowboys in Dallas sure didn't scare him away from the Mavericks.

His problem will be getting past the ownership committee in MLB. You need 3/4 support for approval, which he will never get.

Well that IS two different sports. Obviously it would be awesome to have an owner like him or anyone that would want to pump money into the team, however I dont think that market exists.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Well that IS two different sports. Obviously it would be awesome to have an owner like him or anyone that would want to pump money into the team, however I dont think that market exists.

I still don't buy it. The sox are going to be bought (in this fantasy world where they sell) by a group of billionaires and millionaires that want to own a baseball team. Won't have anything to do with how profitable they think it could be.

Chicago has a lot of potential buyers, and, could also be led by a famous head. Oh god...what if Jordan buys the white sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Didn't Cuban try to bid on the Cubs and immediately get shot down by the MLB owners?

Yes. I was just saying that not all out of town ownership groups would scare me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)

The Mavericks were an afterthought in Dallas. They were FAR behind both the Cowboys, the Rangers, and any particular college sport up there. No one cared about them until Cuban showed up.

In that respect, they are very similar to the White Sox.

The market exists. There are plenty of bandwagon fans in Chicago. All you have to do is look at 2006. Again, the problem isn't Cuban wanting the team, it is MLB not wanting Cuban.

Bernstein is a cub fan, a sox hater, and a sarcastic buffoon trying to appease his listening audience.

If the Sox were for sale, he would have as many sources for that as you or I would.

I heard a rumor that the there has been a lot of increased crime around Wrigley Field...A lot f burglars and a scattering of rapists.

Nice hood..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rising-crime-wri...-032459601.html

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Owners are giving up that sweet sweet tv money. Even if we are last in the ratings, no way do they give up on the potential of a Chicago market.

If they do sell, they will be getting their share of around a billion dollars.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
Bernstein is a cub fan, a sox hater, and a sarcastic buffoon trying to appease his listening audience.

If the Sox were for sale, he would have as many sources for that as you or I would.

I heard a rumor that the there has been a lot of increased crime around Wrigley Field...A lot f burglars and a scattering of rapists.

Nice hood..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rising-crime-wri...-032459601.html

Can't think of a more unnecessary 2nd paragraph than yours. What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Can't think of a more unnecessary 2nd paragraph than yours. What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

He attached a link so it must be a legit point he is making. Lets ponder. Okay, yeah it has nothing to do with anything.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Not supposed to make sense for the fans, it's supposed to make cents for the owners.

If someone has the financial ability to bankroll a sports franchise and that money is clean, isn't that all matters?

And I think he can be an owner of a team he just can't have a controlling interest. Because he was allowed to bid on that Rangers when they were in bankruptcy court, where he was partnered with Jim Crane.

Maybe Cuban isn't enough of an old white man and maybe that scares the MLB owners.

f***, Jeffery Loria can own a team but not Mark Cuban.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
If someone has the financial ability to bankroll a sports franchise and that money is clean, isn't that all matters?

And I think he can be an owner of a team he just can't have a controlling interest. Because he was allowed to bid on that Rangers when they were in bankruptcy court, where he was partnered with Jim Crane.

Maybe Cuban isn't enough of an old white man and maybe that scares the MLB owners.

They can't stop Cuban from bidding on a team. They can not vote for him to own a team.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)

SHouldn't, but they don't want a lot of outspoken owners when times like labor disputes come up. The fact that DOnald Sterling got less grief than Cuban did during his tenure tells you all you need to know about owner groups.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)

It has to do with an unsubstantiated rumor propounded by a Sox hater, and Bernstein most definitely is that.

He's trying to create trouble and enjoying the White Sox floundering. He and other Cubs fans WANT the White Sox sold and moved.

And one of the thimngs they love to point out is how terrible the neighborhood around US Cellular is.

It is curious who posted so quickly in succession objecting to a negative post about the Cubs.

Back to Bernstein, show me any evidence you have indicating that he is a sox fan. Something he claimed ? LOL.

My opinion is based on speaking with Bernstein in person and listening to Boers and Bernstein sarcastic digs at the White Sox while praising the Cubs for years.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
They can't stop Cuban from bidding on a team. They can not vote for him to own a team.

I know that the fact that it's something they won't even seriously consider is ridiculous.

Just going off his NBA, he turned a laughing stock franchise and turned them into a perennial contender. And if you want to say he's a loose canon, the guy has mellowed a lot over the course of the past few years.

A couple things. JR does not like Cuban and is one reason Cuban doesn't own a team now. If he sold to him he would look ridiculous to the other owners so ridiculous they would probably block the sale, and even if he did sell to him since he s would own the Bulls he would be business partner's with him. That isn't going to happen. Finally, when is the last time Bernstein had a scoop no other reporter had?I would guess never so it is all mute anyway.