Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Yes, but a lot of people simply would never consider going to 35th and Shields. Convenience is good, but other cities have their stadiums downtown and thrive. Chicago has to think big. Our team is second fiddle. It's time for the new owners to figure out where we would have the best chance of selling out every game. Frankly it's probably either Naperville or in the heart of downtown. Make it a 45,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof and put it somewhere we're going to sell out every game. It's got to truly be the best stadium ever constructed to compete with the Cubs.

The Braves just made that move, but what individual or group is willing to privately finance a stadium on their own?

It would be a no go in the state of Illinois these days.

The new group is going to be more interested in the broadcasting rights and parking...and would likely to carry on with the current lease due to its profitable nature.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Unless it's Cuban. (mark)

I'd be shocked if the Cabal of owners would allow anyone to buy the team with the idea of moving it (and thus encroaching on their territory). That aside, the era of public stadiums is over. Are they gonna build a brand new stadium in a city that doesn't already have a team?

Seems whoever wants to buy the team will be keeping it in Chicago.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
Didn't JR have a blowup with Bernstein on-air a few years ago? I remember JR saying "You'll never get a bite of this apple again" and then he hung up on them.

Bernstein has always had a bone to pick with JR. #shrug

A "rebranded" franchise? Cool. But with a new stadium downtown? Sounds dope as f*** to me.

If every guy who was pissed of at JR isn't a Sox fan, there aren't many Sox fans on Soxtalk. Hell Bernstien sounds like most of Soxtalks more cranky crowd.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
Oh yeah and Rahm needs to give us the old post office while we're on this topic again.

He doesn't own it.

This "conversation" Bernstein had with a minority owner (. I am guessing a minority owner of a team in Bernsteins fantasy league) about new stadium closer to downtown, rebranding, is more fantasy.

Everyone is smarter than this. Bernstein is making things up.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:17 PM)
Yes, but a lot of people simply would never consider going to 35th and Shields. Convenience is good, but other cities have their stadiums downtown and thrive. Chicago has to think big. Our team is second fiddle. It's time for the new owners to figure out where we would have the best chance of selling out every game. Frankly it's probably either Naperville or in the heart of downtown. Make it a 45,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof and put it somewhere we're going to sell out every game. It's got to truly be the best stadium ever constructed to compete with the Cubs.

2006 called. They want their stereotypes back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
2006 called. They want their stereotypes back.

That's not a stereotype. It's a fact that the stadium is in an brutal area for selling tickets. Literally nothing adjacent to the stadium to draw people in.

QUOTE (Username @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
That's not a stereotype. It's a fact that the stadium is in an brutal area for selling tickets. Literally nothing adjacent to the stadium to draw people in.

It is a stereotype. The stadium drew just fine in 2006.

QUOTE (Username @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)

People came for the Cubs games. How did the Bulls and Blackhawks ever sell tickets before they fixed up the West Loop a bit? And what is adjacent to the United Center now? What is adjacent to Soldier Field?

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't know why people keep mentioning the name Mark Cuban. Even if you want to make the leap of faith that this is true, the last person on earth that JR would sell to is Mark Cuban. He hates the guy. All you have to do is Google it. The information is out there. Hell there might be a better chance of them selling to Donald Trump.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
[/b]

Better yet, Trump...because he already has a beef with the Ricketts family and Ivanka would take KW's place. At least that would be interesting. Trump Field would increase the value of the stadium and real estate in the surrounding neighborhood, until a North Korean cruise missile was launched in that direction.

I'd like to see Trump buy the Sox because he would build a new stadium and get the Cubs to pay for it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
I don't know why people keep mentioning the name Mark Cuban. Even if you want to make the leap of faith that this is true, the last person on earth that JR would sell to is Mark Cuban. He hates the guy. All you have to do is Google it. The information is out there. Hell there might be a better chance of them selling to Donald Trump.

I'm so sorry haha