Bernstein: Sources say White Sox might be for sale

bmags

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)
That World Series failure. The failure of 1983, the failure of the 90's....oh agony, oh agony. how can life go on.

One World Series appearance in 36 years. The Royals have accomplished more in '14 and '15 than Reinsdorf has in nearly four decades trying his hand at this. Wrap yourself up in the glory of Reinsdorf taking you to the postseason 5 times over the last 36 years all you want. Show how low you choose to set the bar.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
I would totally disagree with everything you say about JR here. ALL owners try this. Many succeed. If he was so different than all the owners why didn't he do the same thing with the Bulls/Hawks stadium.

It the politicians who give in to it that are the issue.

I said before that you "hated" him and you said I was making too many assumptions. It sure sounds like you are headed in that direction though.

Ahhhhhh, so the bad guy isn't the one who initiates a blackmailing threat, but the one who gives into it. Got it, thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:20 PM)
One World Series appearance in 36 years. The Royals have accomplished more in '14 and '15 than Reinsdorf has in nearly four decades trying his hand at this. Wrap yourself up in the glory of Reinsdorf taking you to the postseason 5 times over the last 36 years all you want. Show how low you choose to set the bar.

And how many teams haven't? I guess your expectations are more than what 80% of all of the teams in baseball. The only teams that have been successful in your view are the Giants, Red Sox, Yankees, Arizona and Royals?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Don't be flip. What transpired in the late 80s with the blackmailing of the state by Reinsdorf to secure him a lifetime of profits via taxpayer subsidies was a disgusting abuse of public policy by gullible politicians, but initiated by a morally bankrupt owner of our Sox. Reinsdorf is not a man any of us can be proud of based on what he blackmailed the state into with that stadium and lease deal.

The funny thing, reading this, is it feels exactly what a certain political candidate would argue about using bankruptcy laws and lobbying to his advantage...using the system like any good businessman would.

Not illegal or even unethical, but certainly ugly.

You weigh that against the positives such as his loyalty to employees, some groundbreaking minority hires and White Sox charities...maybe it all balances out, but just barely.

No matter the positives, the stadium deal (and resulting disappointment for the first decade), the strike in 1994-95 and White Flag will be a part of his legacy as well.

Now we can find owners that are worse, but that's hardly a rallying cry for a franchise desperate for something to break its way.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:22 PM)
Ahhhhhh, so the bad guy isn't the one who initiates a blackmailing threat, but the one who gives into it. Got it, thanks for the clarification.

That's business. Every owner has tried it, in every sport. So unless you are willing to admit ALL owners fall into your moral bankrupt...... category, you shouldn't single one out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
And how many teams haven't? I guess your expectations are more than what 80% of all of the teams in baseball. The only teams that have been successful in your view are the Giants, Red Sox, Yankees, Arizona and Royals?

We are talking about the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of Jerry Reinsdorf's leadership of the White Sox, which has spanned almost four decades now as we crawl towards the end of his 36th year at the helm. Most other owners haven't been around nearly as long, so the comparisons aren't exactly apples to oranges. Reinsdorf in nearly 40 years has gotten the Sox to the World Series only once. That is a pathetic record for a large market team.

The small market Royals have made it to the Series the past two seasons, winning it all once, and in the process, have accomplished more in two seasons than Reinsdorf has in nearly 40. The small market Twins have made it to and won more World Series as well during the time span Reinsdorf has been calling the shots. The A's, Diamondbacks, Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, Phillies, Dodgers, more successful as well. Not to mention the many more times teams like the Indians and Tigers have made their way to the postseason than Reinsdorf's Sox.

No, tremendous failure for Reinsdorf in his tenure as Sox owner. And no efforts to just try and hide behind the 2005 WS trophy can mask that.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
That's business. Every owner has tried it, in every sport. So unless you are willing to admit ALL owners fall into your moral bankrupt...... category, you shouldn't single one out.

You can call the others out all you want. I'm a White Sox fan, and so I'm only interested in talking about what the owner of my team engages his or her behavior in. But by your logic, one could not be criticized for stealing from a store if everyone else in the neighborhood was trying to do the same. No offense, but not sure that makes any sense whatsoever. And you know that.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
Don't be flip. What transpired in the late 80s with the blackmailing of the state by Reinsdorf to secure him a lifetime of profits via taxpayer subsidies was a disgusting abuse of public policy by gullible politicians, but initiated by a morally bankrupt owner of our Sox. Reinsdorf is not a man any of us can be proud of based on what he blackmailed the state into with that stadium and lease deal.

Which has been done by pretty much every team, in every single professional sport.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
You can call the others out all you want. I'm a White Sox fan, and so I'm only interested in talking about what the owner of my team engages his or her behavior in. But by your logic, one could not be criticized for stealing from a store if everyone else in the neighborhood was trying to do the same. No offense, but not sure that makes any sense whatsoever. And you know that.

Funny, you don't hold those same high standards for having a loyal fan base...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
Funny, you don't hold those same high standards for having a loyal fan base...

Loyal to what? A continuous losing product? Loyal to what Hahn has been bringing to us each of the last four years? Don't be ridiculous. The fan base is held to the expectations that any consumer of any product is held to. If the product is substandard, then the consumer has every right not to support it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
See, I don't buy this. Professional teams don't go on sale that often. This is why you see things like Ballmer by the Clips. Sure, he'd prefer Seattle, but he wanted an NBA team.

If a baseball team opens up, and cuban actually wants a baseball team? He'll call. It doesn't matter if we won't be biggest draw, the Mavs weren't either.

Now, is this incredibly unlikely, of course. But, who cares it's interesting.

Yes--if the opportunity comes up, Cuban will inquire--he already knows Jare-bear from the NBA owners meetings, ha. Wasn't he in on the Cubs the last sale? I vaguely remember his name being linked to buying them at one point. Also...to the validity of the rumor of the Sox being for sale, I think there's a sliver of truth to it. The entire front office/leadership system is broken and needs replaced...these are all Jerry's Kids. SO...something tells me at 80 years old, he'd rather sell the team than fire his people. If he does sell, he can reallocate his $ back into the Bulls for the new NBA salary cap jump. That way he can sign LeBron and Ray Allen to play with Wade in 5 years so they can all turn 40 with the Bulls.

If the team is sold then Andrew Berlin is the most likely local buyer of the team. He already owns a piece of the team (and the Cubs). He is friends with JR who held a private 50th birthday party for him at US Cellular field. He also has turned around the South Bend minor league team which are now affiliated with the Cubs. Unless there is a bidding war with some out of town or even in town investment firm (Chicago based Guggenheim Partners owns the LA Dodgers) Berlin will probably be the next owner of the White Sox which is a good thing since he seems to know what he is doing, has more money than he will ever need so he won't be in it purely for profit, and most importantly of all he is a White Sox fan.

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/01/what-beco...einsdorf-66911/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/glen...0407-story.html

QUOTE (RichieZisk @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
If the team is sold then Andrew Berlin is the most likely local buyer of the team. He already owns a piece of the team (and the Cubs). He is friends with JR who held a private 50th birthday party for him at US Cellular field. He also has turned around the South Bend minor league team which are now affiliated with the Cubs. Unless there is a bidding war with some out of town or even in town investment firm (Chicago based Guggenheim Partners owns the LA Dodgers) Berlin will probably be the next owner of the White Sox which is a good thing since he seems to know what he is doing, has more money than he will ever need so he won't be in it purely for profit, and most importantly of all he is a White Sox fan.

Thanks, I was hoping someone would post a theoretical like this. I looked at the list of chicago billionaires and...you know, I don't see a pritzker getting in it and the rest I've never seen interested. This was helpful, thanks!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)

Gee, I don't think anyone noticed.

QUOTE (RichieZisk @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)

This is entirely the best post in the entire thread. Thanks for this bit of information.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Thanks, I was hoping someone would post a theoretical like this. I looked at the list of chicago billionaires and...you know, I don't see a pritzker getting in it and the rest I've never seen interested. This was helpful, thanks!

Are the Pritzkers all still fighting each other in court over their money?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
Yeah, to be clear, I have no doubt Mark Cuban would bust a nut to have the White Sox. The odds of it happening are about the same as Jill Stein winning the Presidency.

I am not sure that it is going to be for as difficult for Cuban as it once was. A lot of ownership has turned over since he made runs at the Cubs and Pirates and with Manfred running the show now, he may feel someone like Cuban could be an asset for the league.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
I am not sure that it is going to be for as difficult for Cuban as it once was. A lot of ownership has turned over since he made runs at the Cubs and Pirates and with Manfred running the show now, he may feel someone like Cuban could be an asset for the league.

I think there is still enough good ole boys to stonewall it

I have been speculating this for a while. There have been some signs:

1. JR's public campaign against Manfred

2. The Sox looking at only short term deals in the off-season - gives a new owner a lot of flexibility to free up operating expenses.

3. The specter of a new TV deal, the speculation around the TV deal could very likely be worth more than that.

4. JR's advanced age and desire to have the family get out of the baseball business

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I have been speculating this for a while. There have been some signs:

1. JR's public campaign against Manfred

2. The Sox looking at only short term deals in the off-season - gives a new owner a lot of flexibility to free up operating expenses.

3. The specter of a new TV deal, the speculation around the TV deal could very likely be worth more than that.

4. JR's advanced age and desire to have the family get out of the baseball business

This ain't new thou

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Are the Pritzkers all still fighting each other in court over their money?

I actually don't know. But they are running a lot of independent companies and donate a lot still, so I don't know how much is reserved.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)

And considering this IS Jerry's team we are talking about... never.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
And considering this IS Jerry's team we are talking about... never.

Maybe Jerry remembers how much his ownership group subtley crapped all over Veeck's regime right after they took ownership...Perhaps he's fearful that Cuban would do the same thing to him..

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Maybe Jerry remembers how much his ownership group subtley crapped all over Veeck's regime right after they took ownership...Perhaps he's fearful that Cuban would do the same thing to him..

Eh. Seems kind of silly. He has legitimate concerns about the fights Cuban has had with the NBA, and the games he has played with the league. He doesn't see him as any kind of professional and dignified.