Carson Fulmer optioned to Charlotte

Whisox05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
For literally 3 starts.

It was longer than that. Besides, he had an innings limit so moving him to the bullpen on the major league roster made some sense. Now they will stretch him out a couple of AAA starts and maybe he gets a start or 2 in September.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
It was longer than that. Besides, he had an innings limit so moving him to the bullpen on the major league roster made some sense. Now they will stretch him out a couple of AAA starts and maybe he gets a start or 2 in September.

No it was not. I actually checked. In order.

Callup

5 innings, 2 runs, 103 pitches (lot of pitches for 5 innings)

7 innings, 0 runs, 3 hits, 4 walks (solid start)

7 innings, 0 runs, 2 hits, 2 walks (his best start of the year)

Those 3 starts followed:

4.1 innings, 6 runs

6.2 innings, 3 runs

6 innings, 3 runs

4 innings, 3 runs, 7 walks

2.1 innings, 9 runs.

Prior to those 3 strong starts his ERA was 5.82, and it had basically been over 5 all year.

Literally 3 starts of success.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
No it was not. I actually checked. In order.

Callup

5 innings, 2 runs, 103 pitches (lot of pitches for 5 innings)

7 innings, 0 runs, 3 hits, 4 walks (solid start)

7 innings, 0 runs, 2 hits, 2 walks (his best start of the year)

Those 3 starts followed:

4.1 innings, 6 runs

6.2 innings, 3 runs

6 innings, 3 runs

4 innings, 3 runs, 7 walks

2.1 innings, 9 runs.

Prior to those 3 strong starts his ERA was 5.82, and it had basically been over 5 all year.

Literally 3 starts of success.

I think he had a string of 3 or so starts in April that were pretty good. And those 6 innings 3 runs games might have been better than they look on paper.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I think he had a string of 3 or so starts in April that were pretty good. And those 6 innings 3 runs games might have been better than they look on paper.

That's no where near "having no problems putting guys away". You just didn't check first.

There was no reason to call this pitcher up from that performance. At least give him a couple months to make sure his turnaround was legit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
That's no where near "having no problems putting guys away". You just didn't check first.

There was no reason to call this pitcher up from that performance. At least give him a couple months to make sure his turnaround was legit.

He wasn't having problems. I don't see what is wrong with challenging a guy, and keeping his innings, which were going to be limited, in check. He pitched about 9 innings. Big deal. This could have been the plan all along. If he could contribute to the bullpen and they were contending, he probably is still on the team. Now they can send him down, stretch him out and bring him back for a couple of starts, and he and the team will have a better idea of where he stands for next season instead of just hoping. Some have already written him off as a wasted draft pick.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
He wasn't having problems. I don't see what is wrong with challenging a guy, and keeping his innings, which were going to be limited, in check. He pitched about 9 innings. Big deal. This could have been the plan all along. If he could contribute to the bullpen and they were contending, he probably is still on the team. Now they can send him down, stretch him out and bring him back for a couple of starts, and he and the team will have a better idea of where he stands for next season instead of just hoping. Some have already written him off as a wasted draft pick.

He pitched 150 innings last year in college and the minors. He ought to have surpassed that this season, or at least matched it. He's at 98 right now. They are on a nice path to having his innings actually go DOWN from what he threw in 2015.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
He pitched 150 innings last year in college and the minors. He ought to have surpassed that this season, or at least matched it. He's at 98 right now. They are on a nice path to having his innings actually go DOWN from what he threw in 2015.

Might go down a bit, but relief innings with all the warming up etc. are a bit more on the body. Chris Sale went from 71 innings to 192 between 2011 and 2012. Hopefully, Fulmer puts it together next season, and there is no reason to think he wouldn't be prepared to go 175.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)

LOL

DA you know damn well anybody that would do that just doesnt know baseball. I havent even seen anybody to say that and if you did you cant paint the picture as if there are a group of people that believe that. You are being overly dramatic as usual.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
LOL

DA you know damn well anybody that would do that just doesnt know baseball. I havent even seen anybody to say that and if you did you cant paint the picture as if there are a group of people that believe that. You are being overly dramatic as usual.

Some have written him off. Read a gamethread. Until a highly touted White Sox pitcher fails, I'm going to think they know what they are doing with them . Positions players, I'm with the complainers. Assume the worst.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
Some have written him off. Read a gamethread. Until a highly touted White Sox pitcher fails, I'm going to think they know what they are doing with them . Positions players, I'm with the complainers. Assume the worst.

A game thread!? You have to be kidding me. Game threads are no indication of what people actually believe and you know that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
A game thread!? You have to be kidding me. Game threads are no indication of what people actually believe and you know that.

So opinions in a game thread don't count? I guarantee you if Fulmer busts, these same posters will be pointing out they told everyone so back in a game thread. Obviously, this year hasn't gone as planned for him, but sometimes failure makes you better. I still like this guy. And I like the fact the Sox were aggressive with him. I see no harm in what they did. They could have kept him in Birmingham mowing down hitters the same way. He now knows at least some of the things he needs to work on to get major league hitters out.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
So opinions in a game thread don't count? I guarantee you if Fulmer busts, these same posters will be pointing out they told everyone so back in a game thread. Obviously, this year hasn't gone as planned for him, but sometimes failure makes you better. I still like this guy.

No they dont count at all.

Game threads are the lowest common denominator of baseball knowledge than any thread in the universe. How do you not know this by now? You just choose to pretend that people are actually attempting at giving well thought out opinions and you then generalize a group of fans to fitting the narrative of your choice. Game threads are posters typing their emotions for that little voice in their heads while they are watching their team.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
No they dont count at all.

Game threads are the lowest common denominator of baseball knowledge than any thread in the universe. How do you not know this by now? You just choose to pretend that people are actually attempting at giving well thought out opinions and you then generalize a group of fans to fitting the narrative of your choice. Game threads are posters typing their emotions for that little voice in their heads while they are watching their team.

Sounds like what goes on in most threads.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Sounds like what goes on in most threads.

So now you are generalizing every thread on the board to be like exactly like a gamethread because there are bad posts within some of them? Color me shocked.

I was surprised to see how unbalanced his delivery was on the mound and his inability to locate pitches. He seems like a thrower more than a pitcher.

As far as "bringing him up early" that is such nonsense. If he hasn't figured it out by now that may never happen for him. On the contrary, bringing him provided valuable information to management. They now know that they cannot rely on Fulmer being part of the Sox rotation next season or maybe ever. I'm very disappointed that the Sox took this kid in the first round last year. It looks like another terrible Draft pick.

Instead of Rodon and Fulmer the Sox could have picked two position players that could have had a positive and immediate impact on this team.

If Collins can't catch, they may have blown this year's first round pick as well.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
I was surprised to see how unbalanced his delivery was on the mound and his inability to locate pitches. He seems like a thrower more than a pitcher.

As far as "bringing him up early" that is such nonsense. If he hasn't figured it out by now that may never happen for him. On the contrary, bringing him provided valuable information to management. They now know that they cannot rely on Fulmer being part of the Sox rotation next season or maybe ever. I'm very disappointed that the Sox took this kid in the first round last year. It looks like another terrible Draft pick.

Instead of Rodon and Fulmer the Sox could have picked two position players that could have had a positive and immediate impact on this team.

If Collins can't catch, they may have blown this year's first round pick as well.

Uh, Shipps?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
LOL

Oh, theres been plenty of that suggested around these parts past several weeks.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Like clockwork.

Honestly though, it still doesnt validate how DA lumps a few peoples opinion to cover the span of the entire board population. He does this often. You just did it to but I am not going to make it seem like there are a bunch of posters that do that.

Let's just put it this way.

What have we seen out of Fulmer this year in the majors that should make us believe he'll be a future cog in the rotation?

Dick Allen says Burdi will end up in the mid to low 90s at the end of games as a starter, potentially...ignoring that guys such as Sale and Rodon routinely throw 96-98 mph late into games when they really need to.

But is Fulmer even capable of sustaining 92-93 mph for more than 3-4 innings with that high effort delivery? Whenever I watched him, I was hoping he would be the DL the next day and there would be some minor physical reason as the explanation for how he went the baddest NCAA pitcher to Tyler Danish in 12 months.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Honestly though, it still doesnt validate how DA lumps a few peoples opinion to cover the span of the entire board population. He does this often. You just did it to but I am not going to make it seem like there are a bunch of posters that do that.

I said plenty, which is more than a couple, which is accurate. You just did what you're accusing us of. Ironic.