Yanks Owner says Social Media influenced Decision

Hatchetman

Rather, they’re to be made by the prodding of complainy jerks on Twitter:

“Steinbrenner said watching fan reaction on social media and seeing how many sponsors wanted to meet young first baseman Greg Bird during spring training were a sign the team’s fan base was ready for a rebuild.”

I kid about the complainy jerks part. Yankees fans, especially the savvy ones, had been calling for such moves for a long time and it’s good that ownership was actually responsive to fan sentiment. Such sentiment can be fickle and silly at times — Joe Girardi could part the Red Sea and cure cancer and a certain segment of Yankees fan would whine about how he went about doing it — but a business owner listening to the customers is pretty smart. With the Yankees it’s pretty rare.

Follow @craigcalcaterra

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/08/18/hal-st...him-to-rebuild/

Witty aphorism but I'm pretty sure most good businesses care very much what their customers have to say. Maybe JR does not consider people like you and me to be customers though. I only bring my family to a handful of games, watch a bunch on TV, and buy White Sox apparel. Hardly worth paying attention to someone like that.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Witty aphorism but I'm pretty sure most good businesses care very much what their customers have to say. Maybe JR does not consider people like you and me to be customers though. I only bring my family to a handful of games, watch a bunch on TV, and buy White Sox apparel. Hardly worth paying attention to someone like that.

Yes, the White Sox probably seek more opinion from their fanbase than any other team in baseball. However, seeking personnel advise for a MLB team from your fanbase is a lot more crazy than anyone who disagrees with your opinions.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
I dont know if I agree with social media influencing any decisions. From all the s*** I see on there everyday from friends and even close family I would never base any of my opinions on that stuff.

This. People as a whole are irrational and not the brightest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
The Yankees did what any team in their position at that time with in-demand veterans would have done.

It was long overdue, and turned them into thev#3 farm system in baseball, to go along with their virtually unlimited financial resources. Good position for them by 2018.

This is part of what I think is over blown nowadays. Its only half the battle to get a great farm system but if those players dont stay away from injury, develop skill and maturity, and then eventually produce at the major league level it doesnt mean anything. That is a long way to go. People with highly rated farm systems don't impress me too much. Its fine and I would probably rather have a highly rated system then not but I would most certainly take a system that isnt ranked high but consistently cranks out a stud here and there every year. The best teams find a way to do that no matter the rank.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Yes, the White Sox probably seek more opinion from their fanbase than any other team in baseball. However, seeking personnel advise for a MLB team from your fanbase is a lot more crazy than anyone who disagrees with your opinions.

Yeah they aren't doing a full rebuild or anything. They'll be in on a lot of the free agents next year with so much money cleared. I actually expect them to sign Chapman.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
Yeah they aren't doing a full rebuild or anything. They'll be in on a lot of the free agents next year with so much money cleared. I actually expect them to sign Chapman.

I don't think they will do a full rebuild, but I do think they will trade one of Q or Sale for prospects and a major league piece, probably Robertson as well, and see what they can put together.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
I don't think they will do a full rebuild, but I do think they will trade one of Q or Sale for prospects and a major league piece, probably Robertson as well, and see what they can put together.

I was actually referring to the Yankees but I think you're spot on about the Sox.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Maybe that's their problem. Listening to fans too much. Worrying about blue seats instead of putting a good team on the field.

They just had the wrong blue. They should switch out the green for dark blue seats, that'll sure bring in the fans. Or maybe switch to various human colored seats. Then it would appear that people are sitting in the empty seats.

If JR listened to most of his team's fans, he would sell both franchises that he's running into the ground. I think he just listens to his buddies who have proven not to know how to run his team's. And he sure listens to his accountants as well.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
They just had the wrong blue. They should switch out the green for dark blue seats, that'll sure bring in the fans. Or maybe switch to various human colored seats. Then it would appear that people are sitting in the empty seats.

If JR listened to most of his team's fans, he would sell both franchises that he's running into the ground. I think he just listens to his buddies who have proven not to know how to run his team's. And he sure listens to his accountants as well.

If the Yankees have a problem, what the hell do we have?

All I know is they have guys like Bird, Judge, Gregorious, Sanchez, Austin, not to mention talent in their reserves such as Frazier, Torres, and Mateo.

I'd love to have their problems as opposed to ours.