Hawk will keep working as long as he can

caulfield12

I hope Hawk will stay as long as he can do the job. Listening to Benetti ths season makes me appreciate Hawk all the more. Benetti is just awful. He distracts himself from the game by engaging in silly bantar with Stone and trying to appear clever and funny, which he isn't. Then a ball gets hit to short Left field and Benetti, consumed within his own conversation, finally reacts, "There's a ball hit deep to left Fi--el--ddddd.....oh it's caught by..." It becomes obvious that he isn't paying as much attention to the game as he is with formulating his next quip. Meanwhile, he has no feel for how hard the ball was hit, the trajectory, or whether the outfielder has already zoned it in and is on a clear path to make the catch.

I am used to former major league players....pros in the announcing booth. Benetti is a disciple of Len Kaspar, and not a very good one.

Sox need to make a change next season. Perhaps put Benetti on the radio side and get another play-by-play man for home gemes.

Edited by miracleon35th

Glad you are not making those decisions Miracle. Benetti is top notch. Sometimes his jokes a a bit silly and I'm not a fan of Soxmath(although that's not his fault). But him and Stoney are a great pair, love their banter. Benetti and Wimpy were even better.........love Wimpy, he's my favorite announcer and makes even the Hawk listenable. Used to love Hawk but he really needs to go out to pasture.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)
I hope Hawk will stay as long as he can do the job. Listening to Benetti ths season makes me appreciate Hawk all the more. Benetti is just awful. He distracts himself from the game by engaging in silly bantar with Stone and trying to appear clever and funny, which he isn't. Then a ball gets hit to short Left field and Benetti, consumed within his own conversation, finally reacts, "There's a ball hit deep to left Fi--el--ddddd.....oh it's caught by..." It becomes obvious that he isn't paying as much attention to the game as he is with formulating his next quip. Meanwhile, he has no feel for how hard the ball was hit, the trajectory, or whether the outfielder has already zoned it in and is on a clear path to make the catch.

I am used to former major league players....pros in the announcing booth. Benetti is a disciple of Len Kaspar, and not a very good one.

Sox need to make a change next season. Perhaps put Benetti on the radio side and get another play-by-play man for home gemes.

Yeah all Hawks stories about golfing & Yaz..his inability to tell a fly ball from a homer anymore...constant awkward silences with Stone...all around makes for a great "mute" broadcast option.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Glad you are not making those decisions Miracle. Benetti is top notch. Sometimes his jokes a a bit silly and I'm not a fan of Soxmath(although that's not his fault). But him and Stoney are a great pair, love their banter.

You "love the bantar" ? OK..

I prefer a play-by-play announcer that is more focused on the game and has a better feel for it than Benetti. He is consumed with the bantar and inane questioning of Stone because that is all he has in his own playbook.

This season has been a long one and Benetti's perpetual interview of Steve Stone asking ever more inane questions have made listening to the broadcasts unbearable at times. What is most annoying to me is his inability to follow the action in real time, describe it with accuracy as it is happening, and impart excitement when it is called for. As I pointed out, Benetti often raises his voice on routine fly balls. I'm fine with someone who has never played professional baseball, but the Peter principle set in for this guy a long time ago. Maybe back at HF.

It's never going to be popular to criticize Benetti because of his disability and I am sensitive to that. Putting that aside the fact is that Benetti's skill set is not up to par with his peers, not even close to other major league baseball play-by-play announcers. It won't be long before he gawn, IMHO.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 12:06 AM)
Yeah all Hawks stories about golfing & Yaz..his inability to tell a fly ball from a homer anymore...constant awkward silences with Stone...all around makes for a great "mute" broadcast option.

Baseball is all about tradition. Hawk played with the greats and knew them personally, Mantle, Mays, Ted Williams.. He provides a lot of useful historical background and imparts a lot of knowledge and Sox history into the broadcasts. Benetti waxes on like a giggly schoolgirl. Hawk knows when to be silent and that silence usually speaks volumes. Hawk is going to be inducted in the Hall of fame as an announcer. Benetti will soon be forgotten and when that day comes, it won't be soon enough.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:23 PM)

Disagree but all entitled to our own opinions.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)

I prefer a play-by-play announcer that is more focused on the game and has a better feel for it than Benetti. He is consumed with the bantar and inane questioning of Stone because that is all he has in his own playbook.

This season has been a long one and Benetti's perpetual interview of Steve Stone asking ever more inane questions have made listening to the broadcasts unbearable at times. What is most annoying to me is his inability to follow the action in real time, describe it with accuracy as it is happening, and impart excitement when it is called for. As I pointed out, Benetti often raises his voice on routine fly balls. I'm fine with someone who has never played professional baseball, but the Peter principle set in for this guy a long time ago. Maybe back at HF.

It's never going to be popular to criticize Benetti because of his disability and I am sensitive to that. Putting that aside the fact is that Benetti's skill set is not up to par with his peers, not even close to other major league baseball play-by-play announcers. It won't be long before he gawn, IMHO.

I find listening to Benetti pretty cringeworthy too. I prefer Hawk.

Edited by soxforlife05

I wouldn't give up on Benetti. Before the season, Benetti approached Hawk and asked what he could do to follow in his footsteps and also become legendary broadcaster. To this Hawk replied, "Jason Benetti, Practice, Practice, Practice."

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 12:28 AM)

Hawk has been involved in the game of baseball for decades and he still has a problem with this. He will jump out of his seat for a pop up 25 feet in front of the warning track.

I just hope Hawk is OK health wise. I love the Hawk, but cutting back might be what is best for him, and the two different styles aren't bad either. I don't have a problem with Jason. It is interesting you know exactly how the game is going when Hawk is around just by the tone, but with Jason it can be joking and laughing when the Sox are down 5-2 in the 9th. It doesn't bother me. It's a game, he might give me some perspective even if it is just for a little while that a White Sox loss shouldn't ruin my day. A Jose Abreu error shouldn't make me want to bash in my TV.

Edited by Dick Allen

Hawk has to drive for about two hours to and from home games, which is why he decided to only do away games. However, getting to and from airports, staying at hotels and being away from home for several weeks during the season is also not that easy for him.

It's too bad he can't rent or buy a condo in Chicago to stay at during the season or at least during home stands. I never understood why he chose to do that drive every day in past years. So now he only does away games but why is staying in a downtown Chicago Condo during a home stand any different than staying at a hotel in another city (unless he wouldn't get lodging/meals in Chicago paid for as a travel expense)?

Edited to add - I'd rather see Hawk do our home games and someone else (please no more Benetti) do the play-by-play for away games.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 06:56 AM)
Not that I hate Hawk, but does anyone else get the feeling that as long as Jerry is around-- every non-player type role within the organization will also be around? There are simply no consequences at this stage of Jerry's life.

You are absolutely correct in that comment. And Hawk has often said he hopes to die in the booth.

Mark