New Ballpark Name

shysocks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)
The irony of course being when I hit google, the only person I could find referring to fans as whiny, was you.
I don't know what words you used to search but I found some.

Q: What is the difference between a White Sox fan and a baby? A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/sportsjokes/mlbjok...tesoxjokes.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...319-column.html

Still, the White Sox fans trudge on, unapologetic or whiny, and seemingly ready to win whenever the time comes. -

Source https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067VB1RW/ref=dp...UTF8&btkr=1

White Sox fans about the 1983 season is that wewentout whining and crying, ...

Source https://www.amazon.com/Ron-Kittles-Tales-Wh...t/dp/1582615438

Kevin M. wrote, "At least Cub fans stick with their team. Sox fans may not whine verbally, however, they are nowhere to be found unless they are in first place or playing the Yankees. I've seen games where they have been a couple of games out of first place, playing against a contender on a warm July night and they only draw 18,000. I guess they whine with their wallets.

A point of clarification: White Sox fans are among the greatest whiners in the history of sport.

Source for the above two http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/dail...1015-story.html

I'm sure I could find more.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm sorry, but what happened to this deal being worth $6M+ a year? Am I missing something here?

If I am understanding the source article correctly the stadium deal is worth $2 million-ish, but GR signed deals with the Sox to spend the additional money (making it a total of $6.5 million) in actual advertising with the team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
If I am understanding the source article correctly the stadium deal is worth $2 million-ish, but GR signed deals with the Sox to spend the additional money (making it a total of $6.5 million) in actual advertising with the team.

If you click the link inside of the CBS article it takes you this bit.

But naming rights alone may not paint the full picture of the value the Sox get from the Guaranteed Rate deal.

The Chicago-based company also signed a second, separate sponsorship agreement with the Sox that includes "various branding, promotional and hospitality benefits, along with joint marketing opportunities," according to a team statement. The Sox announced yesterday, for example, that Guaranteed Rate will be a presenting partner of its SoxFest convention in January.

That means the team could still be pulling in as much or more overall from Guaranteed Rate than it did from U.S. Cellular.

The team declined to share financial details of that second agreement.

Being an involved corporate partner is something U.S. Cellular—which is no longer active in the Chicago market, despite its local headquarters—had no apparent plans to do for the final six years of its contract.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Comiskey Park by Guaranteed Rate

Doesn't sound great, but I would like it if the sponsor just called the place Comiskey and then just dominated the signage throughout the park, live ads read by the announcers, etc.

At some point, the identity of the company that sponsors the naming rights (United, US Cellular, Wrigley) gets lost. I don't think of United Airlines when the announcers at the Bulls game say "live from the United Center...." I know that maybe it's there subliminally, but I'd say a more overt message like "this 20 second timeout is brought to you by United Airlines..." Is more effective.

The ISFA receives more $$ though and the Sox have a separate sponsorship deal with Guaranteed Rate. I would imagine that Sox will also add a Cellular Phone company as an official sponsor with US Cellular out of the picture now. I think people are overreacting because the team is bad. This deal is fine.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
Doesn't sound great, but I would like it if the sponsor just called the place Comiskey and then just dominated the signage throughout the park, live ads read by the announcers, etc.

At some point, the identity of the company that sponsors the naming rights (United, US Cellular, Wrigley) gets lost. I don't think of United Airlines when the announcers at the Bulls game say "live from the United Center...." I know that maybe it's there subliminally, but I'd say a more overt message like "this 20 second timeout is brought to you by United Airlines..." Is more effective.

Guaranteed Rate Field at Comiskey Park...or Guaranteed Rate Field at Sox Park. Then we could call it Comiskey or Sox park for short and it'd be accurate.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
The deal is fine...if the White Sox finally start to play like a winner.

Otherwise, simply a punch line, the butt of more jokes.

Nobody should give a s*** about that though. Who cares if people are making jokes about it? It's a stadium name. Completely pointless for people to make dumb jokes about it.

Story in the Sun-Times today said the MLB naming rights average sponsorship money is four million a year. Sox are getting less that that. However as others have pointed out the separate deal which the Sox decline to reveal details on could move the needle up on the Sox yearly money figure.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Story in the Sun-Times today said the MLB naming rights average sponsorship money is four million a year. Sox are getting less that that. However as others have pointed out the separate deal which the Sox decline to reveal details on could move the needle up on the Sox yearly money figure.

Mark

And unlike the stadium money, the other money goes straight to the Sox. So the ISTA and Illinois taxpayers lose, and the Sox win.

Got this text from a close friend this morning. Take it with some grain of salt, although I completely trust him on this type of stuff. Thought it was worth sharing nonetheless.

Heard from a coworker who spoke with the Wintrust CEO yesterday at a conference. CEO is a south side guy and was negotiating to buy naming rights to sox park. Was going to rename it Comiskey Park sponsored by Wintrust. Reinsdorf ended up going with Guaranteed Rate.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Got this text from a close friend this morning. Take it with some grain of salt, although I completely trust him on this type of stuff. Thought it was worth sharing nonetheless.

My wife works for Wintrust corporate. Ed Wehmer is a good guy and down to earth. Brought the company up from a single bank in Lake Forest to one of the biggest financial players in Chicago. Would have loved this though not sure how that would have worked with them being a legacy sponsor with the cubs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)

What does Reinsdorf have against Comiskey?

As much as the guy was a bastard, at least there's the historicity of that name. It feels like baseball, at least.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)

The reason Guaranteed Rate got the deal was because they paid the most money.

Brooks was at the event with Rick Hahn in which I attended. There were questions his way about the naming rights, how some are so offended. He said what was in the Tribune about it being a financially neutral deal, is not accurate. The sponsorship agreement, in which the Tribune had no access, took it over the top.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
The reason Guaranteed Rate got the deal was because they paid the most money.

Brooks was at the event with Rick Hahn in which I attended. There were questions his way about the naming rights, how some are so offended. He said what was in the Tribune about it being a financially neutral deal, is not accurate. The sponsorship agreement, in which the Tribune had no access, took it over the top.

This is absolutely the most important part of the deal, and has largely gone unreported by the Chicago media. Even when it was in a source article linked to an article, they completely ignored it. The White Sox themselves are getting something in the neighborhood of $4.5 million a year going straight to their pockets because of the secondary marketing deal with GR. I can't say to to know what other negotiations looked like, but that extra cash on the side is what makes this deal attractive to the Sox. They really don't care about how much is going to the Stadium Authority.