New Ballpark Name

shysocks

QUOTE (captain54 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
My GF doesn't follow baseball. Doesn't follow the Sox or Cubs. Doesn't know anything about naming rights. She's the least knowledgeable person about sports I believe I've ever met

When I told her about the new name for the south side baseball "stadium", her response was..laughter

Then. "That is really ridiculous"

Is she a troll?

Can't imagine buying a girlfriend or date tickets as a gift that read "Guaranteed Rate Field" across their face in bold.

Makes it look like you're a Cheap Charlie.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty bad name for a stadium, but it really doesn't matter. It's at least a local company that obviously wanted to invest in the park. And it doesn't seem like the White Sox had much (if any) say in it. But you have to wonder what the powers that be are thinking about the fan reaction. It seems like the reaction is pretty negative across the board with maybe a small sliver of the pie saying "who cares."

The White Sox have so many other problems that need to be addressed. The name of their stadium is pretty low on the list of concerns.

Let's all take a deep breath. Does the name of the field really matter? Let's say the WS put together a winning team next year and contend for the title. Will anyone care? We should all concentrate on how the sox are doing and not what the name is on the wall.

Frankly, I don't care what they call it. If the Sox can't put a decent team together, very few people will be in the stands anyways to see any signage of the new name. I believe the Sox are in 26th place and sinking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
I know you and the rest of the JR haters have this weird guilt factor any time this is said, but it is a fact. The rate of return is directly tied to how much and how loyal of a fan base a team has. Teams like the Cubs get bigger deals because no matter what has happened they have stuck around. Like it or not, but it is true.

This is the fundamental flaw in the fan base haters/shamers' argument that the state of the Sox is somehow the fans' fault.

There is no such thing as "rate of return" as it relates to the fans. The fans are not the INVESTORS in this product called White Sox baseball. We are the CONSUMERS of said product. Big difference, obviously.

Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners are the investors in the product, and dare I say, they get quite the profitable GUARANTEED RATE of return on their investment due to the terms in the sweetheart lease deal they blackmailed the state into giving them 25 years ago.

As consumers of the product, there is no obligation whatsoever for fans such as myself or SS2K5 to go buy tickets in the upper deck and watch guys like Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson, Dionner Navarro, Alex Avila, and Avi Garcia play really bad baseball for Mr. Reinsdorf to get the resources needed to fix the product. He already has those resources. The problem is that he and his management team have failed miserably in the decisions they've made when using those resources.

While I will fully acknowledge that I'm overreacting to this news, let's not pretend this name change is meaningless. Brands do matter and this joke of a name and logo doesn't help ours. And while many of us will get over this eventually, the name will continue to be the butt of jokes for years to come. Hell, two local sporting entertainment rivals have already mocked us over this, that should tell you something.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 10:31 PM)
One thing wrong with your comment I'm not a JR hater. I respect the fact that he's a self made millionaire and have said that repeatedly. He's also a brilliant businessman and real estate guy. That does not make him a baseball expert or a savant when it comes to the game.

We'll just have to disagree, Sox fans are smarter than that to support a garbage, s***ty franchise. They are under NO obligation, none, zero, nada to support crap just like any consumer is under no obligation to support a bad eatery, a lousy supermarket or a bad business. There is no difference especially when said team got their stadium out of tax dollars and didn't even pay for it themselves (unlike say the Giants owner who built that stadium out of his own pocket or the former Dolphins owner Joe Robbie)

Want to know a big reason why the Cubs were s*** for decades? It's because they sold out every game win or lose. The motivation for ownership to spend millions to put a winning team on the field was exactly none.

But again you are free to offer your opinions and I respect them. I respect the fact as well that you consistently stick to your guns.

Mark

I honestly believe you are in denial if you think that. Reading what you post is completely different than what you just said.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 06:51 AM)
This is the fundamental flaw in the fan base haters/shamers' argument that the state of the Sox is somehow the fans' fault.

There is no such thing as "rate of return" as it relates to the fans. The fans are not the INVESTORS in this product called White Sox baseball. We are the CONSUMERS of said product. Big difference, obviously.

Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners are the investors in the product, and dare I say, they get quite the profitable GUARANTEED RATE of return on their investment due to the terms in the sweetheart lease deal they blackmailed the state into giving them 25 years ago.

As consumers of the product, there is no obligation whatsoever for fans such as myself or SS2K5 to go buy tickets in the upper deck and watch guys like Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson, Dionner Navarro, Alex Avila, and Avi Garcia play really bad baseball for Mr. Reinsdorf to get the resources needed to fix the product. He already has those resources. The problem is that he and his management team have failed miserably in the decisions they've made when using those resources.

Eh, you can rationalize this all you want, but you are still missing the essential truth at the base of it all. If the fanbase invests in the franchise, the franchise is better for it. If they don't, they are worse off. The results of the fan base are right in front of you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Eh, you can rationalize this all you want, but you are still missing the essential truth at the base of it all. If the fanbase invests in the franchise, the franchise is better for it. If they don't, they are worse off. The results of the fan base are right in front of you.

I spend part of the year in the Tampa area. I am amazed at their situation. They have struggled to draw attendance since the team arrived there. Due to the "migrant northern population" in the area, there always seems to be a limited number of true Tampa fans at their games. Yet all you hear oover the last few years is they need a new stadium. I think we as fans look at attendance as the driver of a franchise success. I think in this age, there are multiple factors such as advertising and TV revenue which may have greater impact. So many some owners are milking the cow by putting a mediocre product on the field regardless of the impact on attendance. Tampa is famous for selling off their yoing players as they approach free agency for young players that can start the cycle over again. Unfortunately Maddon kept them competitive and now they struggle with a mediocre lineup.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
While I will fully acknowledge that I'm overreacting to this news, let's not pretend this name change is meaningless. Brands do matter and this joke of a name and logo doesn't help ours. And while many of us will get over this eventually, the name will continue to be the butt of jokes for years to come. Hell, two local sporting entertainment rivals have already mocked us over this, that should tell you something.

Why does the name matter? How many people will decide not to go to the park because it's named Guaranteed Rate Field? Yeah, it's a stupid name, but so is US Cellular Field or the "Cell", especially considering you can't even get US Cellular in Chicago.

Besides, is this the White Sox call or the actual people who own the stadiums call?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
Why does the name matter? How many people will decide not to go to the park because it's named Guaranteed Rate Field? Yeah, it's a stupid name, but so is US Cellular Field or the "Cell", especially considering you can't even get US Cellular in Chicago.

Besides, is this the White Sox call or the actual people who own the stadiums call?

caulfield wont take a girlfriend there because the name is on the ticket!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)

This is my feeling as well. Overwhelmingly, the response has been

1) What a terrible name

2) What a terrible sponsor

US Cellular is a bad sponsor and a bad name as well. Just keep the team in Chicago and you can name it "Kohler Stadium" or "The John" for all I care.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)

Exactly. If fans really want to be like the Cubs, it means drawing 3 million when the team sucks and is going to suck. Besides, this naming rights thing is more for the state than the team. The White Sox cut goes to pay down the renovations. The state gets the rest. For all those so opposed to JR's sweetheart deal, they should be happy a company wants to help the taxpayers of IL out a bit.

I think we as fans look at attendance as the driver of a franchise success.

I don't necessarily agree. Although Cleveland may be the exception, success of a team is based on putting out a good product. Fans want to see good baseball, not crappy. If a team is playing winning baseball, fans will come. Except for Tampa when they were playing good baseball and could not draw 12,000. Most teams have bad years, and those bad years could stretch into a few depending on trades, farm system, etc. But the Sox seem to like aging veterans and I will not pay my hard earned money to see losing baseball. I can watch the same game on tv for free and not pay $9.00 for a beer.

Better yet, I am enjoying watching the Little League World Series. They are truly fun to watch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 06:16 AM)

If they were investing your retirement funds this poorly, would you still keep piling in bad money after good in blind faith and hope it eventually has to turn around?

Isn't it reasonable for Sox fans to do the same...to at least expect to have a clear decision-maker in charge who is accountable for performance?

Even the best mutual fund manager in history...who beat the S&P Index an improbable thirteen consecutive years (like the Braves' playoff streak)...was rewarded with less than half the rope that KW and Hahn are being extended.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
caulfield wont take a girlfriend there because the name is on the ticket!

Obviously they could care less what anyone thinks...and I'm married anyway.

But imagine going on your first date and your gf keeps the ticket stubs as a memory in her scrapbook and the first thing you read in big bold letters is Guaranteed Rate Field. It's bush league.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)

Again, one more time - the fans are NOT the INVESTORS. Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners are the INVESTORS. It is their job and their job only to invest in the product they are trying to sell to make it compelling enough for the fans, i.e., the CONSUMERS, to spend their money on the product. Economics 101.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Obviously they could care less what anyone thinks...and I'm married anyway.

But imagine going on your first date and your gf keeps the ticket stubs as a memory in her scrapbook and the first thing you read in big bold letters is Guaranteed Rate Field. It's bush league.

OMG

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
Again, one more time - the fans are NOT the INVESTORS. Jerry Reinsdorf and his partners are the INVESTORS. It is their job and their job only to invest in the product they are trying to sell to make it compelling enough for the fans, i.e., the CONSUMERS, to spend their money on the product. Economics 101.

So wouldn't it make sense they get out of their $68 million 20 year contract with US Cellular , and enter into a new one for 13 years and $88 million with Guaranteed Rate? Economics 101 would seem to think that's a pretty good move.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://hoopshabit.com/2013/03/27/top-10-wo...mes-in-history/

The Cow Palace, Salt Palace, Amway Arena (at least connected to ownership group) and Sleep Train Arena/Power Balance Pavilion are the only ones that even come close.

And those aren't markets that are anything similar to Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

At this point, I'm just calling it Sox park because it's bound to change every 7-10 years.

It's not a great name, but other than being named after a company I've never heard of and the name not rolling of the tongue, I don't see how it's different from Wrigley or Busch or whatever. Actually, I think it's more offensive for the Yankees to knock down Yankee stadium and build a new place and call it the same thing. Same with Comiskey.

As far as corporate promotions go, I'm more offended when the Sox have a hat giveaway and the Pepsi logo is as big as the Sox logo. Those go straight to Goodwill.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
At this point, I'm just calling it Sox park because it's bound to change every 7-10 years.

It's not a great name, but other than being named after a company I've never heard of and the name not rolling of the tongue, I don't see how it's different from Wrigley or Busch or whatever. Actually, I think it's more offensive for the Yankees to knock down Yankee stadium and build a new place and call it the same thing. Same with Comiskey.

As far as corporate promotions go, I'm more offended when the Sox have a hat giveaway and the Pepsi logo is as big as the Sox logo. Those go straight to Goodwill.

Yes, I agree. Yankee Stadium, Comiskey Park, I think Madison Square Garden is at their 3rd or 4th location. Those are gone. Name it something else.These people that hate the name, what would they think if the state got no money and they called it Reinsdorf Field? I'm pretty sure Thad Bosley would be in intensive care.

Edited by Dick Allen