New 2016-17 Soccer Thread

I think CONCACAF qualifying is tougher than people think. The culture/facilities shock in a lot of those countries is an adjustment for the US and Europe-based players to make, and oftentimes with passionate (or even hostile) crowds. Is it tougher than CONMEBOL? Nope. But it's not a cakewalk.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
I think CONCACAF qualifying is tougher than people think. The culture/facilities shock in a lot of those countries is an adjustment for the US and Europe-based players to make, and oftentimes with passionate (or even hostile) crowds. Is it tougher than CONMEBOL? Nope. But it's not a cakewalk.

I always say the same thing about the road games, so I don't necessarily disagree. Costa Rica's field is concrete and many of those stadiums are very sub-par and crazy atmospheres. But you only have to finish 3rd in the HEX and three teams are ranked 80th or lower. That's the biggest factor, whereas Europe has similar groups of 6, but you have to finish 1st to qualify, and 2nd only gets you a playoff berth. Some of the road games may be tougher in some ways, but in the end, it's a much easier road.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 07:50 AM)
I always say the same thing about the road games, so I don't necessarily disagree. Costa Rica's field is concrete and many of those stadiums are very sub-par and crazy atmospheres. But you only have to finish 3rd in the HEX and three teams are ranked 80th or lower. That's the biggest factor, whereas Europe has similar groups of 6, but you have to finish 1st to qualify, and 2nd only gets you a playoff berth. Some of the road games may be tougher in some ways, but in the end, it's a much easier road.

Agreed. Also, even finishing top 4 in the HEX is usually a good bet, especially this go around to qualify as the 4th place team in CONCACAF enters a playoff against the 5th place team from the Asian Football Confederation.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Agreed. Also, even finishing top 4 in the HEX is usually a good bet, especially this go around to qualify as the 4th place team in CONCACAF enters a playoff against the 5th place team from the Asian Football Confederation.

Why the hell does CONCACAF get less guaranteed spots than the AFC?

Nothing like a 4-nil win away from home featuring a magisterial performance from Christan Eriksen to set up for Spurs' first CL campaign in six years. Pumped for Wednesday.

(I was there in 2010, by the way. I went to the home match against Inter--the day after my 21st birthday. Probably the best live sporting event I've ever witnessed)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jurgen just always has to tinker a little bit with everything.

Pulisic showed his talent, but he surprisingly looked #shook (J4L) at times. I think CONCACAF is not as friendly as the Champions League despite the talent drop.

John Brooks is the man

Even if they lose at Costa Rica they should be fine, they just can't have any careless f*** ups but a tie would be big.

Really, really disappointing result tonight.

Have to get a result in Costa Rica. I hate that I am worried that this team may not have what it takes to make the World Cup. Ridiculous as that may sound, I am always extremely concerned until we're actually qualified.