New 2016-17 Soccer Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
This is also about the worst I've ever seen Brooks play.

Yeah I'm a big fan of his but he was downright awful tonight.

QUOTE (aryzner @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
I turned it off.

This squad is not good enough for the World Cup.

Well they only have to be better than Panama, Honduras, ,and Trinidad. Or two of those teams and the 5th best in Asia, so I.wouldn't count them out yet. Thanks CONCACAF!

But now would be a good time to part ways with Klinsman , before he throws his players under the bus and puts no blame on himself.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klinsmann probably had more talent on this team than any USMNT manager before him. You gotta give him credit for that. He's responsible for getting Fabian Johnson and John Brooks on this team. The fact that we have a decent amount of players getting regular playing time in the Bundesliga is in part due to Klinsmann. He did a decent job with development. Only problem is that he was a horrible manager tactically. I wish he could have stayed in a non-managerial position, but that definitely wasn't going to happen. Arena will put a higher emphasis on the MLS, which Klinsmann ignored for the most part. But as we've seen with the development of Pulisic and Wood, we need players to develop in Europe.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Klinsmann probably had more talent on this team than any USMNT manager before him. You gotta give him credit for that. He's responsible for getting Fabian Johnson and John Brooks on this team. The fact that we have a decent amount of players getting regular playing time in the Bundesliga is in part due to Klinsmann. He did a decent job with development. Only problem is that he was a horrible manager tactically. I wish he could have stayed in a non-managerial position, but that definitely wasn't going to happen. Arena will put a higher emphasis on the MLS, which Klinsmann ignored for the most part. But as we've seen with the development of Pulisic and Wood, we need players to develop in Europe.

MLS is absolutely critical to the future of the national team. Ideally, you have both guys taking the Euro route and developing, and guys developing through the MLS academy system or the draft. The washout rate for Americans in Europe - particularly those who go through the academy system in Europe - is extremely high. The best players of the last generation of US Soccer - Dempsey and Donovan - don't reach those heights without MLS (my opinion on Donovan, a fact re: Dempsey). Over the next 16-20 years, the quality of the talent pool in the US, and therefore the quality of MLS, needs to rise to the level where as a soccer nation, we aren't dependent on European development to succeed at the national team level.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
MLS is absolutely critical to the future of the national team. Ideally, you have both guys taking the Euro route and developing, and guys developing through the MLS academy system or the draft. The washout rate for Americans in Europe - particularly those who go through the academy system in Europe - is extremely high. The best players of the last generation of US Soccer - Dempsey and Donovan - don't reach those heights without MLS (my opinion on Donovan, a fact re: Dempsey). Over the next 16-20 years, the quality of the talent pool in the US, and therefore the quality of MLS, needs to rise to the level where as a soccer nation, we aren't dependent on European development to succeed at the national team level.

MLS is the long-game and Jurgen didn't want to play it. I mean he got fired after 5 years. So for him as a manager looking short-term, the MLS wasn't going to help him. That might seem selfish of him, but it is what it is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
MLS is the long-game and Jurgen didn't want to play it. I mean he got fired after 5 years. So for him as a manager looking short-term, the MLS wasn't going to help him. That might seem selfish of him, but it is what it is.

Yet the Costa Ricans who play in MLS got him fired.