Illinois High School Football Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Boy do we stink, Harry. Lost to Providence tonight on a long pass with about 2 minutes left. TD came after Rice's junior QB got picked off on a horrible read.

That Rice transfer at running back does not hit the hole hard. He is so tentative. Our QB is mediocre at best and we have no talent at receiver. I give all high school kids credit for trying but it looks like Rice has hit a talent drought after years of college type talent. Did we stop searching for area talent and try to get them to go to Rice?

Don't get me wrong. High school kids deserve credit for trying and I will never blast them, but after years of excellence since 2014 we really stink this year.

What's your take on future of Rice football? U think coach Badke will move on or is he a legend in the making?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
Boy do we stink, Harry. Lost to Providence tonight on a long pass with about 2 minutes left. TD came after Rice's junior QB got picked off on a horrible read.

That Rice transfer at running back does not hit the hole hard. He is so tentative. Our QB is mediocre at best and we have no talent at receiver. I give all high school kids credit for trying but it looks like Rice has hit a talent drought after years of college type talent. Did we stop searching for area talent and try to get them to go to Rice?

Don't get me wrong. High school kids deserve credit for trying and I will never blast them, but after years of excellence since 2014 we really stink this year.

What's your take on future of Rice football? U think coach Badke will move on or is he a legend in the making?

They did no favors with their schedule with both the quality of teams and then playign them all on the road.

They will end up 3-6 or 2-7 with every opponent they play making the state playoffs (not sure of St Joe) and most (if not all) of them going very deep.

They are not as good as previous years but they are not that bad.

Lost in the last minute of the game the last two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
That's pretty much what happened to East when North closed, right?

It's more to do with the feeder programs.

The two best youth football programs in the area are in Mokena/Frankfort. It translate to East always being good. That's not even considering how much more affluent Frankfort is than the other towns in the district.

Since the schools split in 2001, LWC has won once (2001). East has won 16+ meetings (there is at least one playoff meeting in there).

What might change that is the fact that Mokena now attends LWC.

Edited by Sox-35th

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
Big story today. Frank Lenti out as Head Coach and Mount Carmel and Jordan Lynch is taking over. MC reported it as a mutual parting but Lenti says otherwise.

President ran him out of town starting last July......whole thing is rather odd, he just went to the semis new president making a power play.

• 9 months later...

Kudos to Brother Rice for a great season so far. The QB Bean is having a great senior year. He has a favorite target Summers who is a good receiver. Plunkett is a good running back. Both lines appear solid to very good. The team defense is very solid this year. The offense appears to be more balanced and not as sloppy as when the Crusaders were throwing every down the past several campaigns. I've enjoyed watching several of the games on the internet. Those kids play hard and appear very well coached. As a former Rice student I find it weird we are not in the largest class in the state any more. It makes me wonder if it's that much easier to win Class 7A or is 7A and 8A about the same?

Finally ... does Rice beat undefeated Montini next week to go undefeated? I see Montini is in 4A or 5A. GO BRO RICE!

Edited by greg775

13 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Rice is still in 8A.....should beat montini

missed ya greg

They're ranked in AP 7A poll. I dont know how they decide it. Rice has a million x multiplier for being private and all boys. I was told they're in between and find out what playoff theyd be come end of season but I dont know if that's true or not.

3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Check the IHSA outlook.  They are in 8A as is Simeon.  Both could move down but unlikely.

The poll of them in 7A is guesstimate.  They get hosed with the multipliers. 

I'd rather go for it in 8A. It seems like when Rice beat Marist and then Loyola it established itself as a team that should be playing for the highest stakes. Maybe I'm in the minority. I wonder if the current Rice students and faculty prefer 7A playoffs just because in theory it'd be easier to reach the state title game.

On 10/14/2018 at 12:19 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Rice is still in 8A.....should beat montini

missed ya greg

Thanks for your comment that you missed me. I got thrown in message board detention to use a Brother Rice term. But it was for more than just one Saturday.

Edited by greg775

Congrats Rice football team and coaches. Team clobbers Montini on Friday night to go 9-0. The team didn't have a bad game all season. Marist game was the closest in the opener. St. Rita game was close too. Defense has allowed 52 pts in 9 games with three shtuouts in a row. I guess things could go south in the playoffs but this team has to date had a perfect season. Not sure how the playoffs work. Hope they get to play at home for at least the first two playoff games.

Coach Badke and his staff and the players are tremendous.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Brother Rice will be in 8A as they should be. They are very good. Nobody is beating Lincoln Way East though. They are an absolute juggernaut. 

I hope we don't play them til the finals then. I'd hate to see us get steamrolled in an early round game by the phenoms from LWE. The Catholic League was so tough throughout the years this is the best season in Rice history at 9-0.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I hope we don't play them til the finals then. I'd hate to see us get steamrolled in an early round game by the phenoms from LWE. The Catholic League was so tough throughout the years this is the best season in Rice history at 9-0.

Rice is #1 and LWE is #2. That would be an awesome state final. 

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Brother Rice is up 49-0....at half. They are the smallest school to ever be in 8A and have the #1 seed. Pretty incredible. 

I love this season. Rice, 10-0, has four shutouts in a row. BR has given up 52 points in 10 games. The offense has been supurb. What's the story on Oak Park River Forest? Can Rice pound OPRF or do they generally field much better teams?

On 10/27/2018 at 7:29 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

Brother Rice is up 49-0....at half. They are the smallest school to ever be in 8A and have the #1 seed. Pretty incredible. 

I don't know if I'd say incredible. It's a great accomplishment but they do get to pluck football players from all over the southside and suburbs regardless of how many kids actually go to their school.