Illinois High School Football Thread

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know if I'd say incredible. It's a great accomplishment but they do get to pluck football players from all over the southside and suburbs regardless of how many kids actually go to their school. 

Are you sure that's true? Team is 11-0. Can we beat Warren in the quarters? Any experts?

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Are you sure that's true? Team is 11-0. Can we beat Warren in the quarters? Any experts?

Warren is my school. Their defense is really good but don’t think they’ll be able to score much. Good RB but just not very explosive.

6 hours ago, AustinIllini said:

I don't follow closely enough.  Why is Brother Rice a 1 seed and LWE a 2 seed?  

LWE was 9-0 with 44 playoff points (opponents wins)

Rice was 9-0 with 45 playoff points. 

1 and 2 doesn't really matter because they'll both be home for semis and then meet at state. Rice has to go through Marist probably at some point. 

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

LWE was 9-0 with 44 playoff points (opponents wins)

Rice was 9-0 with 45 playoff points. 

1 and 2 doesn't really matter because they'll both be home for semis and then meet at state. Rice has to go through Marist probably at some point. 

Rice on the road in semis if they win at hf or Marist. Ihsa is a clusterfuck.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't know if I'd say incredible. It's a great accomplishment but they do get to pluck football players from all over the southside and suburbs regardless of how many kids actually go to their school. 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:35 PM, Harry Chappas said:

Rice on the road in semis if they win at hf or Marist. Ihsa is a clusterfuck.

Why do we have to hit the road to play Marist in the semis if we win in the quarters? We have a better seed, better record, beat em (albeit narrowly) head to head.

Edited by greg775

IHSA gives home game based on number of home games......whoever has less home games gets the next home game.  Marist played at NC and will play at HF......HF played at palatine......Rice will be home for three straight weeks.  Seed only matters if you have played the same number of home games, then higher seed gets it.

The seedings are a joke and this home game decision process exacerbates the stupidity. 

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

IHSA gives home game based on number of home games......whoever has less home games gets the next home game.  Marist played at NC and will play at HF......HF played at palatine......Rice will be home for three straight weeks.  Seed only matters if you have played the same number of home games, then higher seed gets it.

The seedings are a joke and this home game decision process exacerbates the stupidity. 

It's because the Athletic Directors factor into the decisions and they want the same number of home games. I've always said that they should give the higher seeds the option to go on the road in round 1. For example, LWE plays the #32 seed on the road and then gets Glenbard West at home the next week instead of the other way around. Seems like a decent solution. 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, Harry Chappas said:

I don't expect it but they will be favored.

If Rice was in 7A I think they would roll to the championship and probably win it.  

Sadly they will be 7A next year but not sure the talent will be like it is this year again any time soon there.

This sure has been a dream season. Would be nice to win this week and keep the Ws coming.

So Brother Rice and Marist both won. This begs the question of "where is the semifinal game going to be played?" Are you in favor of it being at a bigger venue than one of the schools? I am not. I think it's special to have high school games played at high school fields.

This has to be one of the top ten games in Brother Rice football history. Rice has won one state title (81) and was runnerup (85) and reached the semis in 03.

It has to be a Top 10 game in Marist history. Marist finished second in the state in 2015 and reached the semis in 2013. I read Marist has been runnerup 3 times. I don't think they've won a state football title.

Who will win?

18 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

It's at Marist.  Biggest game in history of both schools.  

Harry, is this true? Rice has won a state title before (81). That was a huge game. Rice also was runnerup one year (85). Big big games. Now Marist reached a state final and got killed by Loyola and lost a lot of games that year (2015). That was a big game. Why is this biggest game in Rice history? It's not quite for all the marbles. 

Will Rice win? Does anybody have a strong feeling? Harry, are u attending the game?

Edited by greg775

In the 1980's tuition was affordable and the doors were just opened and kids showed up.  Enrollment was never an issue.

This game is huge to Brother Rice as they, Laurence, Rita and MC are all competing for tuition dollars.  Marist is as well, but they are humming along now that they are co-ed.  Just won state volleyball title.  McAuley is now seeing an attendance slip as well.

A Rice win is a nice recruiting win for them.

The placement test is in 3 weeks and this will top of mind for the kids in your old stomping ground.  1 kid is $10K a year.....  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

In the 1980's tuition was affordable and the doors were just opened and kids showed up.  Enrollment was never an issue.

This game is huge to Brother Rice as they, Laurence, Rita and MC are all competing for tuition dollars.  Marist is as well, but they are humming along now that they are co-ed.  Just won state volleyball title.  McAuley is now seeing an attendance slip as well.

A Rice win is a nice recruiting win for them.

The placement test is in 3 weeks and this will top of mind for the kids in your old stomping ground.  1 kid is $10K a year.....  

I should just send you a PM, hope the mods don't mind the discussion here.

I was curious ... Rice has about half the kids attending as when I went there I think somebody said recently.

Does this have everything to do with tuition (man, if you have one kid by the time he gets out it's $40,000 clams, wow!) — or are the family dynamics changing to where there are fewer kids in the neighborhoods? Are parents having fewer kids?

Also ... when I went to Rice you basically had to go to Rice. A lot of my buddies who were non Catholics went there in fact. There were no acceptable public school options. Evergreen Park HS was a non entity, nobody went there (I don't even know if you were allowed to go there if you lived in Chicago proper) and Morgan Park and Fenger were a non option. Parents were scared to send their kids there at the time. Nobody in Mt. Greenwood went to St. Laurence or Rita or MC over Rice. Yes some went to Marist but none in the Q of M grade school boundary.

Edited by greg775

The Chicago area draw in general to catholic schools in that area is probably 50% of what it was in your day.

There is no option in Chicago other than catholic schools.  There are still draws from the suburbs and even Indiana as it's a pretty good education and community for those schools but you need the money and willingness to get your kids there .

Evergreen Community High School is getting more kids from EP but it's still kind of an after thought there. 

The investment in that education pays off when looking to go to college and how prepared they are. 

• Like 1