Illinois High School Football Thread

On 11/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, greg775 said:

So Brother Rice and Marist both won. This begs the question of "where is the semifinal game going to be played?" Are you in favor of it being at a bigger venue than one of the schools? I am not. I think it's special to have high school games played at high school fields.

This has to be one of the top ten games in Brother Rice football history. Rice has won one state title (81) and was runnerup (85) and reached the semis in 03.

It has to be a Top 10 game in Marist history. Marist finished second in the state in 2015 and reached the semis in 2013. I read Marist has been runnerup 3 times. I don't think they've won a state football title.

Who will win?

I was on the Lockport team that defeated them in 2003. Worst atmosphere I ever played in. 

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why was it a bad atmosphere? Were our fans bad? Where was the game?

Yeah haha. It was at Brother Rice. That atmosphere was awesome but I remember parents and adults swearing at us as players. They were lined up right outside the fence. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. 

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah haha. It was at Brother Rice. That atmosphere was awesome but I remember parents and adults swearing at us as players. They were lined up right outside the fence. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. 

I was at that game.......Brother Rice has some history of fan "issues" both adults and parents.  

You think Loyola will make a game of it Saturday?   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I was at that game.......Brother Rice has some history of fan "issues" both adults and parents.  

You think Loyola will make a game of it Saturday?   

They could benefit from being at home. I expect East to win by like 14-17. I don't think Loyola can score enough points. LWE has a ridiculous offense that everyone always talks about but their starting defense hasn't given up points since Week 2. They are pretty daunting. I hope we get East and BR in the finals. 

I think Rice can give LWE a game, I think LWE would annihilate Marist.  I've seen Rice and Marist twice.  On paper Rice is better but they are prone to mistakes and their special teams are a train wreck. 

That being said the same way Marist can beat Rice Saturday is the same way Loyola can beat LWE...not because they are better but because it is high school football and things happen.

16 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

All Catholic League final. Rice vs Loyola rematch.

I can't believe LWE lost. What a fucking epic chokejob. I hate them with a bloody passion because I coach at a rival school but I hate them more than ever now. Letting two private schools into the 8A final is gross. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I can't believe LWE lost. What a fucking epic chokejob. I hate them with a bloody passion because I coach at a rival school but I hate them more than ever now. Letting two private schools into the 8A final is gross. 

What happened? Not Loyola’s best team but yeah, thought LWE was a machine.

Hate all Catholic final as well. Not interesting

6 hours ago, Brian said:

What happened? Not Loyola’s best team but yeah, thought LWE was a machine.

Hate all Catholic final as well. Not interesting

It's very interesting to those of us who went to Brother Rice. I'm stoked. Win or lose, I credit coach Badke and his staff and the kids for a great year. However, now that we're in the final it would be fun to win it. We beat Loyola, 35-3, earlier which means nothing now IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if Loyola scores first in the final. Hopefully Rice can maintain incredible intensity in the rematch as they did in the rematch against Marist.

What do you all predict? Will Rice cap an undefeated season and greatest season in school history with a win over Loyola? Or will Loyola, which has had the better program the last several, several years, dust off Rice? 

What was today's atmosphere like? I watched the highlights and the fans were going crazy. I will say up to this point, I've never seen (I watched almost all the regular season games on Br Rice TV) a high school team with as consistent a defense and offense as Rice. By that I mean the defense has forced turnovers, got a lotta sacks, made a lotta big hits/plays. The offense, while not scoring as much the last few weeks, has limited penalties, turnovers and looked like a balanced well oiled machine. It's not the days of early coach Badke when the team threw every down and was competitive but couldn't stop anybody.

It's almost as if we're due for a bad game. Rice hasn't had a bad game all year, maybe one. Knock on wood, baby. Brother Rice has had a helluva season.

Comments? Give me a prediction. I won't jinx the team by predicting. Wish I could attend!

Edited by greg775

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Do still do a multiplier for private schools? The ability to recruit is such an unfair advantage, they should be in their own separate class.

6 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Do still do a multiplier for private schools? The ability to recruit is such an unfair advantage, they should be in their own separate class.

Doesn't Rice only have 800 kids? Back in the day 1500? If we're recruiting, we're not doing a stellar job. GO RICE!

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

Meh, a lot of these private schools are recruiting from families that can afford/are willing to afford tuition, et. al to these schools.

I don't know that its all that much of an advantage any more, when it costs ~$12k/yr for brother rice or marist, and that's for "tuition alone," not including other fees, vigorish, books, etc... Given the median household income in Chicagoland for a family of 4 is $84k/yr [SOURCE: Area Median Income Chart], the sheer cost of going to these schools eliminates most prospective students, IMO.

Back 20-30 years ago, when tuition was "only" ~$1500-$2K/yr, yes, I'd agree that recruiting WAS an advantage back then. Now? I'm not so sure any more.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, a lot of these private schools are recruiting from families that can afford/are willing to afford tuition, et. al to these schools.

I don't know that its all that much of an advantage any more, when it costs ~$12k/yr for brother rice or marist, and that's for "tuition alone," not including other fees, vigorish, books, etc... Given the median household income in Chicagoland for a family of 4 is $84k/yr [SOURCE: Area Median Income Chart], the sheer cost of going to these schools eliminates most prospective students, IMO.

Back 20-30 years ago, when tuition was "only" ~$1500-$2K/yr, yes, I'd agree that recruiting WAS an advantage back then. Now? I'm not so sure any more.

You know who tends to be good at football? Rich kids whose parents can pay for any and every football program through their junior high years. Then they got convinced to attend a football high school because a college scholarship is more likely. 

Just look at what Loyola has become.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

You know who tends to be good at football? Rich kids whose parents can pay for any and every football program through their junior high years. Then they got convinced to attend a football high school because a college scholarship is more likely. 

Yup.  It's the same reason Lincoln-Way East is good and the other LW schools aren't as good.  Frankfort is just so much wealthier with more football kids.

Congrats to Loyola. From what I read sounds like Loyola defense found itself in the playoffs. Didn't see the game, not sure what happened. I know Rice offense was pretty unstoppable until tonight.

Congrats to Brother Rice players and coaches on one of the best seasons in school history.

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

The separation of participation in athletics between haves/have nots is a story they just covered on Bryant Gumbel's show tonight. While this is a real issue in society [in EVERY sport, not just football], it hasn't translated into an overwhelming advantage in private schools over public schools. As I look at the IHSA website, I'm not seeing private schools dominating the titles, TBH. IHSA Champions/runners up

Yes, there are individual schools [i.e. Loyola] that have done well in this sport, but were it as big an advantage as you suggest, why isn't every class won by a private school?

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On November 24, 2018 at 10:47 PM, greg775 said:

Congrats to Loyola. From what I read sounds like Loyola defense found itself in the playoffs. Didn't see the game, not sure what happened. I know Rice offense was pretty unstoppable until tonight.

Congrats to Brother Rice players and coaches on one of the best seasons in school history.

The Rice QB had a bum ankle he was a run first guy.  That killed them.

Recruiting is a big thing but the educational advantages and athletic v cps and crappier suburban districts are the key.  As are smaller enrollment so.

The IHSA has moved almost all privates to at least 5A with new rules.  If MC doesn't choke last week all but 6A would have been Catholic v Catholic.

49 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The Rice QB had a bum ankle he was a run first guy.  That killed them.

Recruiting is a big thing but the educational advantages and athletic v cps and crappier suburban districts are the key.  As are smaller enrollment so.

The IHSA has moved almost all privates to at least 5A with new rules.  If MC doesn't choke last week all but 6A would have been Catholic v Catholic.

Yeah I read that in the Trib after I posted. I still can't get over what a great season BR had. Very special. Too bad Bean wasn't 100 percent. I know in games I watched he indeed had some BIG runs when the team needed first downs and of course lotsa great passes. GO RICE!

On 11/24/2018 at 11:42 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

The separation of participation in athletics between haves/have nots is a story they just covered on Bryant Gumbel's show tonight. While this is a real issue in society [in EVERY sport, not just football], it hasn't translated into an overwhelming advantage in private schools over public schools. As I look at the IHSA website, I'm not seeing private schools dominating the titles, TBH. IHSA Champions/runners up

Yes, there are individual schools [i.e. Loyola] that have done well in this sport, but were it as big an advantage as you suggest, why isn't every class won by a private school?

In the top 5 classes, 4 of the 5 champions were private and 7 of the 10 finalists were as well.